Anchor Can't Grab?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anchor Can't Grab?

While fishing yesterday at Hog Point I tried to hold my position with my 2 1/2 lbs anchor (see pic). It just wouldn't grab. I kept drifting and dragging. My drift was about 1-2 mph. The other anchored boats seem to hold fine.

My luck to be in a sandy area? Is there a better yak anchor?
    Attached Files
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

I have a 3 and 6 pound anchor, all depends where Im fishing. I had the same problem with my 3# anchor. I added a length of 18 - 20" 1/4" marine anchor chain, this helps the anchor dig in and hold 100% better. Try this before you buy a bigger anchor.
    '12 Ocean Kayak Prowler trident 13 Orange
    '09 Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Red
    Kayak Fishing Mafia

-Both fish and men are often caught with artificial's-

Comment

I had a 1.5lb anchor that wasn't good for anything. I found a big bunch of croaker, spot, and perch but couldn't stay on them because of the depth and wind. I bought a 5lb anchor and added a 1lb brass weight 12" up the line from the anchor. That combo has held me in 30ft+ of water against a 20mph wind. In addition to the lack of weight, the tines on the 2lb anchor might not be long enough to dig in. If the wind is really blowing, you'll have to let out more line.

I'm not sure if the chain OBX_RAT suggested (which is a great idea) or a new anchor would be cheaper. I didn't want to deal with the chain, so I went with a heavier anchor and a weight, but the chain might be easier to store on the yak now that I think about it. The more I think about it, the better the chain idea sounds. The chain will also protect the anchor line from abrasions on the bottom, and you can use just the chain to slow down your drift if you don't want to anchor up fully.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Sound like Bill talked Bill into an anchor chain lol, I think the chain runs from $3.50 to $4.50 per foot. I bought 2.5 feet and it was under 10 bucks.
        '12 Ocean Kayak Prowler trident 13 Orange
        '09 Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Red
        Kayak Fishing Mafia

-Both fish and men are often caught with artificial's-

Comment

Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Is the chain galvanized? I wonder if Home Depot has this.

Comment

Yep, no chain no hold. You could have twice or 3X the weight and no chain .... it wouldn't hold. Any galvanized chain will do, but 12 inches of 1/2 inch with that little anchor would be money.
              14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
              2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Checked West Marine. They have a 1/4 " Grade 40 galvanized linked chain on sale for $3.41 per foot. Gonna buy two feet. There's a $10 shipping charge, so I rather visit them soon.

Comment

since your kayak is not moored in a slip or stored adjacent to seawater, any "hot dip galvanized" welded steel chain will do. Available by the foot in your local hardware store. Save the shipping, save the gas. Hose the chain and anchor off when you get home.
                  I worked for years in a marine supply store in Oregon and we made plenty of money selling folks marine grades of items (super galvanized,brass and stainless steel stuff) when they really only needed standard grade......of course marine supply stores are soooo coool!

Comment

Is 1 foot of 1/2" chain better than 2 ft of 1/4"?

Good advice, thanks.

Comment

That is why I use a 24 inch drogue chute...it slows down a drift to a nice pace- pull it in and paddle back and start another drift-
                      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

1/4 with that little anchor would prob. be best. I doubt you'd need 2 feet but it would not hurt if you can conveniently store it in the yak.

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                          Is 1 foot of 1/2" chain better than 2 ft of 1/4"?

Good advice, thanks.
                          I think yes

Comment

i have a 4lb down rigger ball as an anchor with no chain and it hold in some pretty good current but usually drift if im going too fast out goes the sea anchor

Comment

I use a 3 1/2lb grapple anchor no chain and its work fairly i rarely anchor. I also use 8oz wreck anchors and a 24'' drift sock conditions depending on which ill take out.
                              Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Working...
                              X