PB Pickerel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PB Pickerel

Hit St Mary’s Lake today for a couple hours. On my third or fourth cast with a black Senko I felt the familiar single thunk that tells me a big fish just inhaled the bait. Set the hook and rod bent like snagged. After a sporting fight I had a 25” pickerel in the boat.

I don’t know how folks always get the whole fish on the board in photos, a minor reason I don’t fish tournaments. I ended up the day with a trifecta of bass, crappie, and pickerel. I’ll long remember this fish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Very nice catch Mike.

Long arms is the secret to photographing the big ones.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Awesome pickerel! Bigger than any I've ever seen come out of St. Marys Lake.

Photographing long fish in a kayak is tough. I have a RAM X-grip phone holder that I use to hold my phone and take a picture using a 5 second timer. But in my new Hobie it sits too low on the gunwale and the angle makes it tricky to get a good picture. I'm thinking of mounting a RAM ball on a PVC pipe and sticking it in the Hobie sail mast hole so the camera is directly ahead and at chest height.
      Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
      2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Actually, many of my pickerel photos are one armed shots. One arm to hold the camera high and one to hold the pickerel on the Hawg Trough. They rarely cooperate for a photo by laying still.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Comment

Hog alert! I didn't realize pickerel go for senkos.

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
            I’ve been targeting them this year with Senko’s. The bite is not unlike a bass, usually just a heaviness on the line. So far they haven’t slammed the lure. They’ve really liked the black with gold fleck, or maybe that’s what I caught the first one on and I’ve been stubborn on that color.
            Mike
            Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Nice going Mike, so glad we have these guys around in the winter or it would be a very boring/long period.
              John Rentch
              Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
              Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

That’s a beast, nicely done!
                Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
                  Hit St Mary’s Lake today for a couple hours. On my third or fourth cast with a black Senko I felt the familiar single thunk that tells me a big fish just inhaled the bait. Set the hook and rod bent like snagged. After a sporting fight I had a 25” pickerel in the boat.

I don’t know how folks always get the whole fish on the board in photos, a minor reason I don’t fish tournaments. I ended up the day with a trifecta of bass, crappie, and pickerel. I’ll long remember this fish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                  I have a horrible time photographing big fish...especially big catfish that exceed 32 inches...never get the fish in perspective
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
                    I think it's difficult to find a fly or lure that a pickerel won't bite.

I've caught them on various streamer flies and fly rod poppers. I've even caught them on a small foam floating spider while fly fishing for bluegills. Last year one one hit a tiny bluegill dropper fly suspended under a popper. That one straightened the hook.

With conventional tackle, I've caught them on jig spinners, Mr. Twisters, weedless paddltails, X-Raps, Rat-L-Traps, Pop-Rs and I bet some lures I've forgotten.

But...I've never caught a 25 incher. That's impressive, Mike.

They're eating machines. And as John Rentch noted they're the best game in town throughout the winter. They're my favorite fish to pursue in a kayak.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Comment

Nice catch Mike. You are doing spring training for all the stripers and trout you will catch during the warmer weather.

I am fortunate to have long arms that come in handy when trying to lean back far enough to get a long fish on the Hawg trough fully in the photo. I was stymied on Monday when I tried to photograph a 34" snook I caught from my kayak. I successfully leaned back far enough to get the entire fish in the view. But the fish must have splashed a water drop on the lens, blurring the photo.

2020-08-11-001.jpg
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis
                      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                      X