My Last Pond Visit for the Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Last Pond Visit for the Season

My favorite kayak fishing occurs in freshwater ponds. I like the calm water and the overall peaceful setting that ponds offer.

Our Eastern Shore offers many millponds. Some were created in the 18th and 19th centuries to support industrial and agricultural activities such as saw mills or grain mills. Many are still surrounded by farms and some have bald cypress trees growing in their midst that were once harvested for their wood. Now these ponds are prime recreational areas for humans and home to birds, amphibians, mammals, reptiles, and very willing fish.

I visit our ponds in MD and DE as often as I can in spring and early summer for panfish. I return to them in late fall and throughout the winter for pickerels. Last evening, I made my final warm weather trip to an Eastern Shore pond for the year. As usual, the fishing was stellar. I caught over 3 dozen bluegills, most between 8.5 and 9 inches, a pickerel, a redear sunfish, a largemouth bass and a yellow perch, each on flies. I fished approximately 5 hours from 2:00 to 7:30 P.M. with a short break for a sandwich. As the sun drops the fishing heats up. That is why I like visiting them in the late afternoon and staying until dusk. By the way, the same time schedule is ideal for pickerel fishing in the late fall and winter.

There’s no matching the hatch in this kind of fly fishing. The flies I use in spring and summer look like nothing that exists in nature. These three provided all the action last evening – and on recent prior pond outings. They show their use:

IMG_6587.jpg

They are tied on size 6 streamer hooks. That hook is large enough to deter most small bluegills and also large enough to hold the occaisional bass or pickerel. They caught over 200 fish combined on several recent outings. I cut them from my leaders because their work is done for the season. Each got swallowed, chewed on, spit out and occasionally stuck in a tree or on a submerged log many times.

Here’s a few photos of them at work yesterday:

P1050774.jpg

P1050773.jpg

P1050789.jpg

And this nice redear completely swallowed the white foam fly. It also turned the bow of my kayak 180 degrees. A redear this size pulls hard:

P1050776.jpg
    No harm done. I crush the barbs on my flies which makes removal easy.

My target areas when fishing ponds are dark waters like these shaded by trees:

P1050767.jpg

P1050768.jpg

Sending casts side-armed under the branches is a good tactic. It would be very difficult to cast a lure on conventional tackle into some of these areas without getting hung up.

Occasionally, I must wait for a few pond residents to pass before casting to a likely area:

P1050769.jpg

I have watched the above geese grow from goslings to adults this spring and summer. Now I cannot tell them from their parents.

So, if I find pond fishing so enjoyable, why will I not continue? Here is the answer:

P1050790.jpg

Organic matter builds in these ponds throughout the summer. Slime, algae and thick pods of hydrilla will make fishing difficult. I lost quite a few fish yesterday that got tangled in the slime you see above and eventually wiggled off of my hook. The organic matter will slowly die off in the fall and eventually disappear completely in winter. The dark waters will become gin clear allowing me to occasionally to sight cast to pickerels. And even if I do not see them before I cast, I often see them strike my flies in the cold clear water. That’s something I really like. By the way, my pickerel flies are much larger than the ones you see above. I target picks with colorful gaudy streamer flies that are size 1 to 2/0.

But pickerel fishing is months from now. Now it is back to my nearby tidal waters and the good kayak fishing they offer.

However, I thoroughly enjoyed my spring and early summer pond fishing outings this year.

Attached Files
    Last edited by Mark; 06-30-2023, 11:52 AM.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Glad you made it out before they get crowded with plant growth.
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Thanks John.

It had been 4 weeks since my last pond visit. The change in water conditions during that time was significant. But the fish were still willing.

A mutual friend send me an email and commented on this post. He referred to the slime as "swamp snot" in his email. That's an excellent description.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Comment

Great post Mark. You've done really well on those ponds. Have fun hitting the tidal waters
        Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
        2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Thank you Dave.

I do enjoy those locations. I encourage others interested in that style of fishing to try them. If they would like to know more about various sites, or would like to join me on the ponds in the future, they can reach me by PM here.

I hosted a newcomer to kayak fishing on this outing. He had a very good evening also. It is darn difficult not to.

Similarly, I've been encouraged by white perch reports here and during my own few tidal outings this year. It appears that a very good perch season is underway.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Comment

Those are some rotund bluegills Mark! haha

Comment

I never tire of catching them, Tom.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Comment

What a fantastic post, Mark. Wow...some of those bluegill are quite long but also fat like footballs. The scene you set sounds very enticing. I grew up fishing almost exclusively fresh water. My aunt, uncle and I would drive long distances to find lakes and ponds that had less fishing pressure...and this is in the 1970's...one of our favorites was Myrtle Grove near/in LaPlata.

The growth of organic matter is a huge deterrent for me, as someone who has oh so stubbornly resisted learning to fish weedless. My last trip to Cash Lake I struggled to retrieve a single cast without pulling debris. I try my best to enjoy the experience and not get frustrated, but I am human and it happens. Thank you for reminding me that those conditions are much less likely in the cooler months.

When you return in the fall, I would like to take you up on your offer to fish together at a mill pond.

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by UnkleRob2020 View Post
                  The growth of organic matter is a huge deterrent for me, as someone who has oh so stubbornly resisted learning to fish weedless. My last trip to Cash Lake I struggled to retrieve a single cast without pulling debris. I try my best to enjoy the experience and not get frustrated, but I am human and it happens.
                  The simple Texas rig will change the game when fishing weedy or brushy areas. It's dead simple too, I recommend it if you'll be fishing freshwater. Hollow body frogs are also great in matted weeds and lily pads and make for a really exciting way to fish. The only organic growth that really gets on my nerves is the slimy snot that sticks to everything, I think its some kind of hair algae or other filamentous algae.
                  Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
                  2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Working...
                  X