Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish finder recommendation

Hey Guys,

Need some recommendations on a fish finder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Jmoye View Post
    Hey Guys,

Need some recommendations on a fish finder.

Anyone familiar with the Lawrence Hook 2 5 with GPS 279.00 Dicks, thinking of picking one up. Read reviews and send pretty nice.

Comment

I actually did some research on fish finders. I have an older Garmin but looking at upgrading to a Lowrance in 7inch as I become more engrossed in saltwater bay fishing. Lowrance has been the lead and both Garmin and Hummingbird illegally used patent technology and got suedand lost.

Hummingbird decided to pay Lowranve for the technology and Garmin has not made a decision. After speaking with some knowledgeable folks. I was advised new technology will be coming out after the new year. I was advised to wait on my purchase until February when places like Bass Pro and Cabellas start the spring fishing sales.

I am gonna wait, just a though and some info. They are a lot of money depending on the size and features you are looking for.

Zeke
      2018 Hobie PA 12 Camo
      2017 Ascend FS12 Camo

Comment

This is a wide open discussion that really depends on what your are going to use it for. Most people are concerned with a couple of things in regards to water information. Water depth is probably the most important thing, and water temp being the second most important thing. For these two pieces of information, most any basic FF on the market over the $100 price point will tell you that.

Where you need to do some more research is when you want other, more detailed features, such as bottom structure, GPS, pre-loaded maps, etc. When examining bottom structure I like a GPS that has Down Scan Imaging (DSI) in addition to traditional sonar. This helps me find grass beds and also lets me know how tall the grass is. For these two features, I found the Lowrance Hook 5 to be a good unit and met my needs. The Lowrance also has better built-in nautical maps and a cleaner GPS interface, IMO.

I ultimately moved away from Lowrance because I had a need for side imaging (SI). Although slightly more pricey ($450ish), I found the Hummingbird Helix 5 SI GPS 2 unit to be the best for me. I can see fish easily with the SI, as well as see the edges of grass beds and structure. The maps kind of suck, but I do not use them too much besides dropping a waypoint here and there.

Maybe other can way in on their experience with their units.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
        Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
        2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
          This is a wide open discussion that really depends on what your are going to use it for. Most people are concerned with a couple of things in regards to water information. Water depth is probably the most important thing, and water temp being the second most important thing. For these two pieces of information, most any basic FF on the market over the $100 price point will tell you that.

Where you need to do some more research is when you want other, more detailed features, such as bottom structure, GPS, pre-loaded maps, etc. When examining bottom structure I like a GPS that has Down Scan Imaging (DSI) in addition to traditional sonar. This helps me find grass beds and also lets me know how tall the grass is. For these two features, I found the Lowrance Hook 5 to be a good unit and met my needs. The Lowrance also has better built-in nautical maps and a cleaner GPS interface, IMO.

I ultimately moved away from Lowrance because I had a need for side imaging (SI). Although slightly more pricey ($450ish), I found the Hummingbird Helix 5 SI GPS 2 unit to be the best for me. I can see fish easily with the SI, as well as see the edges of grass beds and structure. The maps kind of suck, but I do not use them too much besides dropping a waypoint here and there.

Maybe other can way in on their experience with their units.
          Good information Bro, really appreciate you taking the time to post this for me! I think I am going with the Hook 2 5, it’s got some pretty good reviews. Again thanks for the feedback!

Comment

Fish finder recommendation

Originally posted by Zeke View Post
            I actually did some research on fish finders. I have an older Garmin but looking at upgrading to a Lowrance in 7inch as I become more engrossed in saltwater bay fishing. Lowrance has been the lead and both Garmin and Hummingbird illegally used patent technology and got suedand lost.

Hummingbird decided to pay Lowranve for the technology and Garmin has not made a decision. After speaking with some knowledgeable folks. I was advised new technology will be coming out after the new year. I was advised to wait on my purchase until February when places like Bass Pro and Cabellas start the spring fishing sales.

I am gonna wait, just a though and some info. They are a lot of money depending on the size and features you are looking for.

Zeke
            Glad I read your post! Didn’t know that. You kind of got me thinking of putting it off until then. I am new to kayak fishing and have never used a fish finder before. I think you just saved me 500.00 dollars this weekend Bro. Just bought a new Jackson Kraken and getting the Rutter installed at Delaware Paddle sports. That’s 220.00 for the Rutter and and free install. I was going to put off the Rutter as well, but have noticed how the boat keeps drifting to the right all time and I have always compensate for it, to the left..pain! Wonder why? Anyway good tip new technology coming out this Feb. I think I will buy a anchor system instead. Again, thanks for taking the time to post, really appreciate it. Maybe we could hit the water together soon. Stay safe out there Bud! I live in Frederick as well, let’s hook, if you need some company on the water.

Comment

Depth & Temp are the two things you need. Like Doug said, a cheap FF will get you those.

I stuck with Lowrance and picked up an Elite 7Ti which has touchscreen (some yakkers do not like this feature, but I LOVE it) and it also has the ability for the firmware update 'fishreveal' and is a totalscan transducer. I also was OK spending $$$ on this FF.

If you are looking for budget, don't break the bank, and if you want slightly larger look for a used model, I actually have a Hook5 HDI i'll be listing here soon.
              Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
                Depth & Temp are the two things you need. Like Doug said, a cheap FF will get you those.

I stuck with Lowrance and picked up an Elite 7Ti which has touchscreen (some yakkers do not like this feature, but I LOVE it) and it also has the ability for the firmware update 'fishreveal' and is a totalscan transducer. I also was OK spending $$$ on this FF.

If you are looking for budget, don't break the bank, and if you want slightly larger look for a used model, I actually have a Hook5 HDI i'll be listing here soon.
                Cool, let me know I will be interested if the price is right. Appreciate the feedback. I think a lot of new technology is coming out after the first of the year, I am going to wait till then. Stay safe in the water Bro and thanks for the feedback!

Comment

Originally posted by Jmoye View Post
                  Cool, let me know I will be interested if the price is right. Appreciate the feedback. I think a lot of new technology is coming out after the first of the year, I am going to wait till then. Stay safe in the water Bro and thanks for the feedback!

Love the Hook 2 5

Comment

Lowrance doesn’t come with saltwater maps. You have to pay another $150 for the chip.

Comment

Originally posted by hookmeup View Post
                      Lowrance doesn’t come with saltwater maps. You have to pay another $150 for the chip.
                      So what is your recommendation on what to get then? Is this an issue with all of the Lowrance models lately?

Comment

Working...
                      X