Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing hardware for anchor trolley

Hey guys,
    So i am about to install my anchor trolley. I recently bought my first yak, the malibu stealth 12. I was going to attempt an install without putting any holes in the yak, which is somewhat doable with a half length trolley. But in order to keep the trolley line from flopping into the boat and in my way, I think putting in a few line guides will be a necessity. My goal is to use the two factory metal guides on each end, and only install two guides towards the middle to tend the line. I may have to put one on each end as well though, because the line may be in the way of th gator hatch. Would you recommend using machine bolts with lock nuts and washers versus a screw? And should I use some type of marine sealant around the guides or actually put it on the bolts/screws prior to screwing them in?

apply a small bead of marine goop to the screw and the area you are mounting the piece. Once finished you can add more to the inside of the yak (or ductseal) to finish. You will not have any issues this way.

A way to check for leaks is to use a leaf blower (or something similar) Attach a garden hose to the nosel and run this into the drain hole. Spray area with soapy water and turn on the blower. If you see the soap bubbles keep sealing until they are gone.
    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Pinch,

"A way to check for leaks is to use a leaf blower (or something similar) Attach a garden hose to the nosel and run this into the drain hole. Spray area with soapy water and turn on the blower. If you see the soap bubbles keep sealing until they are gone. "

Great idea!!! We used to check for pressurization leaks on airliners the same way. We used something a little bigger than a leaf blower though.

John
      John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
      MK Endura Max 55 backup power
      Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Pinch- I dont get the garden hose in the nosel part. Are you doing it to drain water from the inside of the boat, or add water to the inside of the boat?
        -Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
        -Heritage FeatherLite 12

Comment

I have a no-drill trolley. I used stainless steel carabiners on the front and rear handles. Adding some small Harken blocks to the 'biners makes things smoother.

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...lley-H224.html

To keep the non-anchor part of the line out of the way for a full length trolley, I ran it through the handle on the side. It works pretty well. You might be able to add some sort of eyes under the hardware used to secure the side handles, too. That way, you wouldn't have to drill any additional holes.
          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

@ictalurus,
            I have biners and pulleys for the ends as you are describing. But in order to keep the trolley fairly taut at all times, I will probably need the guides. I will give the side handle a shot though.

Still wondering about the screw vs. Bolt and nut with washer though?

Comment

This guys setup is kinda what i was thinking...however i would only mount two guides and use the front and back handles as the ends.

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=P7Tc0rXwWY0

Opinions?....

Comment

I couldn't get the link to work As for screws vs. bolts and washers, I would use bolts and washers whenever possible to eliminate the possibility of something pulling out. I would still use a little Goop to seal the hole.
                Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Strange about the link....go to youtube and type kayak anchor trolley system. It was uploaded by nubespubes.

Comment

Working...
                  X