Picked up my new Trident today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked up my new Trident today!

Finally got the call from Annapolis Canoe and Kayak that my Trident 13 Angler was in. Hustled down with my straps and ropes etc as I am car topping with no racks. The Camry door sills are too shallow and angled the wrong way and aftermarket racks don't feel too secure.

As I said before, I picked the sand color so it doesn't show too much dirt. Right now it is slung up in the garage. This weekend I hope to start outfitting it with some accessories.

I also picked up a new paddle, a Aqua Bound Sting Ray carbon. I was able to get 10% off so I saved a few bucks.

Now for the story of the ride home.

I have carried Lazers, Sunfish and canoes on my cars for years but have never had an experience as I had today. I chose 1 inch straps for tying down the yak so I didn't put too much pressure on it. I also secured it for and aft in a triangle as I have done in the past. When I hit 35 MPH, my car suddenly sounded like a jet engine! Those straps were resonating and drove me nuts all the way home. On my sail boats and canoes, I used heavy two inch tow type straps with a ratchet that never made noise. I can't see using one of those as it would crush the yak.

I have to find a way to quiet these things up. Maybe I can put pool noddles on them so the the airstream can't make them vibrate. Has anyone else had this happen when cartoping?

BTW, the guys down and Annapolis Canoe and Kayak are very helpful and easy to work with.

Regards,

John
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

I hate that sound as well, i think the vibration on a long ride will loosen the straps as well.

All you need to do is put a twist or two in each section of strap that is vibrating (the parts that air flow over). The section of the straps that lay flat against your kayak is fine, twist the open air sections. Experiment with how many twists but I usually only need one or two depending on how long the section is.

^that migh sond confusing sorry
    -Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
    -Heritage FeatherLite 12

Comment

+1 one on twisting the straps, works like a charm.
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Thanks much for the twisting straps suggestion. Now I can sleep in piece without worrying about losing my marbles before I even get on the water.

Regards,
        John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
        MK Endura Max 55 backup power
        Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Congratulations on getting the new kayak. Figuring out the loading, unloading and securing process will improve with practice.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I would try using foam blocks as well. I have used those on my trident in the past. Not as easy as the new roof rack that I have not but beats having nothing.

Comment

Working...
            X