Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Registration Required for Trolling Motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Registration Required for Trolling Motor?

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and somewhat new to kayak fishing. I got my kayak as a Christmas gift a few years ago from my wife and had probably only fished it a dozen times or so until this summer. Now that I'm hooked, I was thinking about trying to find a way to get a trolling motor attached. I have an LL Bean Manatee (Made by Perception) and it is not set up to accept a motor (of course) or rudder. I was thinking about finding a small used motor on craigslist, cutting down the shaft, and figuring out a removable mounting system as I do not intend to use it all the time. Two questions: 1). Has anyone done this? 2). Do I have to register it with the state? As I said, I do not intend for it to be a permanent mount but thought it would be fun for trolling season or for an easier trip home when the tide is ripping. I don't want to spend $2k on a new "factory powered" kayak, nor do I want my wife to feel like she did not get me a good kayak as I think it was a really great gift. Any ideas?
    LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
    Hobie Pro Angler 12

I have done that sort of thing several times to my Ocean Kayaks. However, they were sit-on-tops. It is just a matter of putting a mount in the rod holders. It is more difficult to mount a side mount motor on a sit inside kayak. I suppose you could place a mount on the rear deck. Another problem that would be prominent, is a side mount on such a small kayak. It may be a real stability problem. Also, how about the kayak weight capacity. A deep cycle battery, at least a 31 series, is around 69 lbs. I think, I would keep that kayak for the paddle. Not that it could not be done, but because that is a perfect little kayak for those quick get away fishing trips, and a motor and battery are extra work. A better rig may be a Torqeedo, with a 6lb battery. However, that would cost about $1800.

Just my opinion, just my opinion.

Comment

Dogfish, I hadn't thought about using the rod holders, but that's a really good idea. I've got roughly 90 lbs to play with before I hit the listed capacity of the boat. You really think I need a 31? How long would that last given a small to average size trolling motor? How much would I lose going down to a 27?
      Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

No, you could use a 27 or even a 24. I used to do alot of trolling, so I would use two 31 series. That would take me out for an 8 hour day. My first motor was an Endura 30, made by MinnKota. That would last about 3-4 hours with one battery. Keep in mind, I am talking steady trolling. Stop and go running would be longer. It may last longer on a smaller kayak. There is a company in Florida that makes a reasonable mount for rod holders: http://www.islandhopperoutboards.com/kayakmount.html. I used one of these, and it worked fine. Trolling from a kayak can be very productive.

I forgot to mention, yes, you do need to register a kayak with an electric motor, at least in Maryland.
        Last edited by DOGFISH; 08-15-2012, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Not only register, but you also have to title the yak. That means a certificate of origin and a bill of sale so they know how much tax to get from you.

Comment

Virginia requires it too... I learned that way from a trip to Kiptopeke, one of the rangers gave me a hassle. smh. I did a mount on my SOT with an Endura 40. I just used it to get from spot to spot or when I wanted to make a quick trip. I never ran my battery totally down, but I never ran it really hard either. I don't troll a lot so it was really just for getting spot to spot. I forgot what class it is, I want to say class 24, but I can't be certain. It worked great the times I used it. Like Dogfish said, a motor hanging over the side does give you some stability issues, I have a Big Game but I was always weary about leaning too far. I don't use it anymore, I just like the feeling of paddling where I need to go. So if you want an Endura 40 give me a shout. I can sell you mine.

Comment

Thanks, guys. Trying to find a certificate of origin and bill of sale sounds like more hassle than it's worth, especially since it was a gift and purchased several years ago. Sounds like I may just get my workout in...speaking of, is it possible to paddle fast enough and long enough to troll a small spread? I'm not thinking about an all day adventure, just wondering if anyone has tried it.
              Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

I just registered my yak - costs $2 for the title and no taxes.
                I put a used bassyak set up on my native ultimate - it's a 30lb minnkota motor, steering by footpeddles and I use an agm battery. I was out all day yesterday - 7 hours and had 30% battery power left. The motor attaches to a permanently mounted bracket on the back of the yak. The system is sweet - hands free fishing - reverse also. Once everything is installed it takes about 10 minutes to get ready for the water.

Bassyak.com is a good site to get some ideas or buy one - systems run about $500 plus the battery is extra. Do a search for motorized kayaks and you can put one together yourself for a lot less.

Comment

Originally posted by hooked again View Post
                  I just registered my yak - costs $2 for the title and no taxes.
                  I put a used bassyak set up on my native ultimate - it's a 30lb minnkota motor, steering by footpeddles and I use an agm battery. I was out all day yesterday - 7 hours and had 30% battery power left. The motor attaches to a permanently mounted bracket on the back of the yak. The system is sweet - hands free fishing - reverse also. Once everything is installed it takes about 10 minutes to get ready for the water.

Bassyak.com is a good site to get some ideas or buy one - systems run about $500 plus the battery is extra. Do a search for motorized kayaks and you can put one together yourself for a lot less.
                  $2, huh? Maybe I'm interested again. How hard was it to get taken care of? I've seen the Bassyak site and was thinking up some improvements to their system. Also, I don't think they had a system for my kayak. I can weld and have a full wood shop, so I'm open to building it myself.

I was thinking agm might be the way to go. Expensive, but less sensitive.
                  Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

I had the bill of sale for the yak and certificate of ownership since I had just bought it. I went to the DNR office in BelAir and it took about 15 minutes. The forms are available online so you can fill them out in advance.

Comment

I just bought a Ocean Kayak Torque For Cheap, wondering if anyone knows if registration is required in Maryland?

Comment

Yes.
                        <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Re-read the responses in this thread and it tells you all about it

Comment

Originally posted by AmberjackYakin View Post
                            I just bought a Ocean Kayak Torque For Cheap, wondering if anyone knows if registration is required in Maryland?
                            For the time being:

First you will need to "Title" the boat = $2

Then you will need to "Register" your boat and put standard boat numbers on the side. If you boat/kayak is 16' or less, and motor is 7.5hp or less, then registration is free. Must be renewed every 2 years, still free. Renewal is very easy to do by mail.

BIG HOWEVER - This may all change in the next year or two. Last winter there was a proposal from the governor's office to raise registration fees significantly... like by a lot!!!... maybe double. The proposal also included a reduction in size of boat that needs to be registered. So what use to be "free" registration for boats under 16' may soon cost money. (My 16' Oldtown Canoe with 40# troller went from $0 to ~$70) Then I heard the all the new rate increases were reduced, but NOT eliminated, due to boater backlash. I haven't been keeping up with the new cost changes and size requirements for registration since last winter. So I'm not sure what the cost will be once the smoke clears and new costs are implemented.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/boating/registration/#renew
                            Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Thank You All...

Originally posted by HJS View Post
                              For the time being:

First you will need to "Title" the boat = $2

Then you will need to "Register" your boat and put standard boat numbers on the side. If you boat/kayak is 16' or less, and motor is 7.5hp or less, then registration is free. Must be renewed every 2 years, still free. Renewal is very easy to do by mail.

BIG HOWEVER - This may all change in the next year or two. Last winter there was a proposal from the governor's office to raise registration fees significantly... like by a lot!!!... maybe double. The proposal also included a reduction in size of boat that needs to be registered. So what use to be "free" registration for boats under 16' may soon cost money. (My 16' Oldtown Canoe with 40# troller went from $0 to ~$70) Then I heard the all the new rate increases were reduced, but NOT eliminated, due to boater backlash. I haven't been keeping up with the new cost changes and size requirements for registration since last winter. So I'm not sure what the cost will be once the smoke clears and new costs are implemented.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/boating/registration/#renew

Comment

Working...
                              X