Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone use an Aqua Bound Surge carbon paddle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone use an Aqua Bound Surge carbon paddle?

I use a 240 cm Aqua Bound Manta Ray paddle that came with my kayak 5 years ago. It has blades with large surface area (104 in2) which I like, but is heavy. The shaft is fiberglass and the blades are plastic. I believe the weight is over 35 oz.

I am looking for a new paddle that is considerably lighter. It must have a large blade area (at least 104 in2) and a 240 cm shaft -- often these characteristics are mutually exclusive. I also want the paddle weight to be below 30 oz, and ideally in the 25-26 oz range. I have not found many paddles on the market that meet all those criteria. One that does is the Aqua Bound Surge Carbon paddle. It weight 25.5 oz, has 104 in2 blade area, and comes in a 240 cm shaft. But it is not cheap either.

Has anyone on this site used that paddle before? If so, what are your thoughts? I noticed on the Aqua Bound site, they list the members of their Pro Staff team. Most of those guys use the Surge Carbon.

If I hear bad reports about the Surge Carbon or get too much sticker shock, my second choice is the Aqua Bound Manta Ray carbon paddle. It has the same blade area and length but weighs 29.5 oz. It is hard to imagine that an extra 4 oz makes much difference, but several guys in kayak shops (who did not have either of those paddles in stock so they were not pushing for a sale) told me that 4 oz will make a difference, particularly now that I often spend multiple hours of steady trolling. I welcome opinions on that 4-oz differential.

Thanks in advance.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

I am looking to get a lighter paddle also but am eyeing the Bending Branches angler Pro

Comment

What is this "paddle" you speak of?????

Comment

Originally posted by russ498 View Post
        What is this "paddle" you speak of?????

It is a great invention -- you take two turbo fins and put them on either end of a pole.
        John Veil
        Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I use the Manta Ray Hybrid ($140) with carbon shaft and fiberglass blades that I am happy with, never really wanted anything lighter. If you want something super light I think the Manta Ray Carbon ($190) is a better value than the Surge ($390). Is 4oz worth another $200 to you?
          Jake
          FeelFree Moken 12.5

Comment

Originally posted by d16daily View Post
            I use the Manta Ray Hybrid ($140) with carbon shaft and fiberglass blades that I am happy with, never really wanted anything lighter. If you want something super light I think the Manta Ray Carbon ($190) is a better value than the Surge ($390). Is 4oz worth another $200 to you?
            That is exactly the question with which I am wrestling. In the opinion of some folks, 4 oz does make a big difference. I have only paddled a very heavy paddle and don't know the answer.
            John Veil
            Annapolis

Comment

I use an aqua bound fin chaser that has a carbon shaft. I've been using it for a few weeks now and my only disappointment is the shaft feels a little rough in one direction. I got mine on sale so I shouldn't complain too much. I've already used the hook extractor on the blade to remove my hook from a log and a few trees.
              PigPen - Mt Airy
              Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

John, I use the Aqua Bound Manta Ray carbon paddle, it replaced my fiberglass paddle which wasn't very heavy, but the carbon paddle feels like it's half the weight. The paddle is so light that sometimes the wind will blow the paddle around while it's sitting in my lap. I love the paddle...I don't think you could go wrong with the Manta Ray, especially if you can save $200. I agree with some of the others, 4 oz is not worth $200.00, I really can't imagine a lighter paddle than the Manta Ray...I know they exist but this paddle is so light already...I'd spend the extra $200 on other fishing/Kayak gear.
                John

Cuda 12
                F&S Eagle Talon 12

Comment

Wedge -

Thanks for the first hand report. That is helpful. I am still evaluating options.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis

Comment

Working...
                  X