Magnetic mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnetic mounts

Anyone have experience with using magnetic mounts like the ones here?
    Anthony

Redfish 12 Angler

Looks like it would work. Keeping the transducer pointed straight down might not be the easiest thing. It would also be something that would no doubt be something that everything would end up tangled on...just my first thoughts.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

No, looks pretty cool, though. I'm a little surprised a magnet that strong wouldn't screw up your electronics.
      LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
      Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I'm thinking about something like this so that my transducer isn't "permanently" attached using silicone or goop. Good point about possibility for more snags though. Apparently, a lot of folks that use float tubes use these.
        Anthony

Redfish 12 Angler

Comment

Originally posted by whiskerfish View Post
          Thanks for the feedback. I'm thinking about something like this so that my transducer isn't "permanently" attached using silicone or goop. Good point about possibility for more snags though. Apparently, a lot of folks that use float tubes use these.
          I used a hot glue gun to mount my transducer in the bottom of the hull for a "shoot through" on my first kayak some 12~13 years ago. Adding anything that could cause a snag or tangle WILL cause a snag or tangle.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
            I used a hot glue gun to mount my transducer in the bottom of the hull for a "shoot through" on my first kayak some 12~13 years ago. Adding anything that could cause a snag or tangle WILL cause a snag or tangle.
            Thanks Cowpokey. Do you have any suggestion for mounting that aren't permenant? Meaning that if I want to pull my FI setup out of the yak and use it in another boat.
            Anthony

Redfish 12 Angler

Comment

Originally posted by whiskerfish View Post
              Do you have any suggestion for mounting that aren't permenant? Meaning that if I want to pull my FI setup out of the yak and use it in another boat.
              I have mounted transducers on two kayaks using duct seal (putty). http://www.nativeownersgroup.com/sho...S-installation It stays in place, reads well through the hull, and is easy to remove if you change your mind. I bought a second transducer and power cable after adding the Slayer Propel to my fleet. I have a transducer and power cable in both the Slayer Propel and the Manta Ray 14. I move the screen unit back and forth depending on which boat I use that day.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I like it!! And really wish I would have thought of it...lol.

I just picked up a 2nd kayak (Tarpon 100) to have a smaller lighter yak for quick easy trips and was trying to think of a way to use my FF on both yaks easily.
                A smaller battery in a box with the FF mounted on top was exactly what I was thinking. And with my DSI ff I want to have the ducer in the water and figured I could attach an arm to the box to hook the ducer to and swing it down into the water when needed and swing back up when not. Right now my ducer is in the hull with duct seal and it works great as is but just cant help thinking i'm loosing sensitivity with it not in the water. Plus making it portable i wont need a second ducer.

While I think the magnetic ducer mount is a great idea and will surely work, They have the FF and box right there at the side of the john boat, float tube and whatever they designed them for, so why not just have an arm or whatever like I described above hold the ducer?? But I can see the magnetic mount being a nice option for kayakers that are now using an arm to hold the ducer over the side without the box and ff on the sides of the yak.

My tarpon has the track rail on the side and I have gear track for thre outback and figured a mighty mount or T-bolt will work to mount the box.

I'm actually surprised that company hasnt come out with more mounting options like ram or scotty mount setups.
                Last edited by CAGE RATTLER; 04-07-2014, 01:22 AM.
                2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                2013 Cuda 12

Comment

John, thanks for the duct seal idea. That's probably what I'll start with.

Cage Rattler, I do like the convenience of the magnetic mount and may buy one to try it out because I can always use it on a jon or other boat too. I think initially, I like the duct seal advise from John because starting out, I probably should be concerned about snags until I'm comfortable in the yak.
                  Anthony

Redfish 12 Angler

Comment

I would use that.

Comment

Any feedback on this magnetic transducer mount? Has anybody actually bought one of these? I am trying to decide between this magnetic mount and the Ram transducer arm. Thanks in advance.

Comment

I like it

Comment

Working...
                        X