Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kokatat Dry Suit--Excellent Customer Service!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kokatat Dry Suit--Excellent Customer Service!!!

Recently I purchased a used Super Nova Tropos Drysuit from a member on the forum. The drysuit was an older design but brand new with the tags and price still attached to the sleeve. This suit has never been worn or even close to water. Last month a few of us fished the Patapsco in some chilly conditions. I was very excited since this would be my first experience wearing a drysuit. The second I stepped in the water something did not feel right, my feet felt cold and wet under the booties. I just figured since the material was thinner than my usually neoprene waders it was just my feet getting acclimated to the colder water. After returning to launch and packing up I removed the drysuit, my feet and shins were soaked...what a disappointment!

I was devastated, it took years for me to pull the trigger and purchase a drysuit. I called Kokatat and explained the situation, even spilling the beans that I purchased the suit used (honesty always pays off). I ended up shipping the suit back to their headquarters, and was explained that I was responsible for the shipping and repair cost. Hey, no problem....what else could I do than shove it back in the closet.

Just received a call tonight from Kokatat that my suit had a flaw in the seam tape and stitching that was not visible to the naked eye but somehow passed the original air test. They stated that the suit was unrepairable and they would send me a new suit free of charge! Since my original drysuit is no longer produced, they upgraded me to a Hydrus 3 at no charge. In addition, they did not have my size in stock so they pushed me up on the assembly line and I should receive the suit in 4 weeks. I'm really impressed with the customer service and Kokatat standing by their product. It's hard to find that integrity with companies in this business environment. I just wanted to share my experience and hopefully persuade a few members that are thinking about purchasing a drysuit but suffering from sticker shock...Happy New Year
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

that is great customer service! that is how you get a customer for life! way to go Kokatat!
    Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

That is impressive customer service. Glad to hear they took care of it so easily.
      Mike

Comment

I had the same experience with my brand new pants and Kokatat found the flaw and fixed them free of charge. Great customer service

Comment

I'm glad you got a positive response from the manufacturer. Outstanding service separates the best of the companies from the crowd.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Interesting. I had a similar problem with the Super Nova suit I bought last year. The first time I wore it out both of my socks were wet when I got done. I was pissed too after dropping the cash on a brand new suit. I called them and sent it back for repair. They said seam problems too and repaired both feet free of charge. I was very pleased. I've worn it maybe a dozen times since with no issues in the feet.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago, I wore the suit out clamming for an hour in waist high water. It was the first time I've ever wore the suit in water over mid-shin for any substantial time. My shins felt colder than they should have when I was out and, sure enough, when I got done my pants on both legs were wet from the knee to ankle. Super pissed now because I know it's another seam issue causing the leak and I'm out of commission until I get it back . I sent it back to Kokatat a couple weeks ago, but haven't heard back yet. I know the leaks aren't from me wearing it so I'm hoping, actually expecting, there to be no repair charge. But getting a new suit? You made out awesome!
            Brian

Comment

Jeremy, thanks for sharing this excellent customer service experience. Word of mouth is the best advertisement! I bought my Kokatat earlier this year and have worn it twice. Hopefully I won't have any problems, but it is good to know Kokatat has my back.
              Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
              Cobra Explorer

Comment

My drysuit is a different brand, but I have had the same problems with wet feet/leaking seams on feet since new. Was also pretty pissed...I just seem to have bad luck with a lot of my kayak fishing gear for some reason. My kokatat dry pants kept my feet really dry for a while and now just starting to get a little bit of a leak at the seams. Going to try and repair the stuff myself.

Comment

As the person who sold the suit to you I am astonished that there was a flaw but i am glad to hear that K stood by their products for you. I guess I should have worn it at least once in the water to make sure it was flawless but who expected that? Anyway, I am glad it all worked out for you.
                  http://docirvcustombaits.com/baitbox/
                  484-459-9863
                  If you are not satisfied with the color or texture of your custom made Doc Irv baits just let me know and I will redo it at no cost to you to your satisfaction, because I am not happy unless you are happy.*
                  *But if you are one of those people who is never satisfied then I retain the right to be unhappy.

Comment

Nice Jeremy! It's kind of amazing that $100 waders keep the water out but a $1,000 dry suit doesn't....especially since they test them.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Kokatat Pro Staff
                    Torqeedo Pro Staff
                    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                    Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
                      Interesting. I had a similar problem with the Super Nova suit I bought last year. The first time I wore it out both of my socks were wet when I got done. I was pissed too after dropping the cash on a brand new suit. I called them and sent it back for repair. They said seam problems too and repaired both feet free of charge. I was very pleased. I've worn it maybe a dozen times since with no issues in the feet.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago, I wore the suit out clamming for an hour in waist high water. It was the first time I've ever wore the suit in water over mid-shin for any substantial time. My shins felt colder than they should have when I was out and, sure enough, when I got done my pants on both legs were wet from the knee to ankle. Super pissed now because I know it's another seam issue causing the leak and I'm out of commission until I get it back . I sent it back to Kokatat a couple weeks ago, but haven't heard back yet. I know the leaks aren't from me wearing it so I'm hoping, actually expecting, there to be no repair charge. But getting a new suit? You made out awesome!
                      I followed up on the drysuit I sent back about a month ago and found out that I'm getting a new suit too. I was explained that the older line of super nova anglers (I think that's what I had) are having warranty issues with the seams de-laminating and leaks starting. They said they weren't quite sure what was causing the de-lamination problem, be it a chemical reaction, the materials, or whatever.... The only repair is to replace the customers suit.

Another vote for great service and a company that will stand behind their products when something goes wrong.
                      Brian

Comment

Have not had to return any items to Kokatat, Lifetime warranty, not limited lifetime warranty, is reason I buy Kokatat. What a great idea, American made, great customer service, Lifetime warranty, who would have thunk it. just purchased a Kokatat Hydrus 3L Meridian Dry Suit on closeout. Can't wait to go for a swim.
                        Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                        Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Working...
                        X