New Kayak Advice Please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Kayak Advice Please.

Hi Guys, i'm about to dive into the world of kayak fishing and was looking for advice on a new kayak. I'm looking for a good all around big water kayak as I will be fishing primarily the bay and parts of OC and Delaware for Tog. My current two options are the WS thresher 140 or the Hobie outback. I'm a pretty beefy guy @ 5'9 225 so space and stability are my main priorities. Ideally i'd like a peddle drive system, however a local outfitter is going out of business and I can get a thresher for close to 50% off. I know I should really try out these kayaks in the water but time is sort of not on my side so any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

New Kayak Advice Please.

I recently went through a similar experience, taking the entire summer to check out other member rigs and demo until I centered on a decision. I'm My decision was between the Hobie Revo and the Outback primarily because coming from a paddle yak, I valued being able to peddle and keep hands free for rigging , casting, managing things while the yak was underway. I chose the Outback on the suggestions of several members who had made the switch from Revo to Outback and preferred the space benefits and stability. I couldn't agree more as a 6'0 215 guy. What is a slightly slower ride I've compensated with turbo fins and a larger rudder. The only downside I see is a slightly annoying hull slap on waves > 1ft, which doesn't appear to have an impact on the fishing so far. I would highly recommend. Also would advise to be careful chasing good deals if you are only going to be finding yourself selling next year. It's far better to invest in the experience you want now, start rigging to your desires, than having to second guess and waste time and money that could otherwise be spent on fish. If money is a big factor, hold off and wait until you can afford it, buy a cheap sit in from Dicks that you can sell for $50 off when you're ready to really jump in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

You are on the right track. For "Big Water" hands free is the way to go. The peddle system is so much better when fishing.
      The Outback is nice and all-around. I fish the Hobie Pro Angler 14. I have been in 'Big" water with it all year. This is my first kayak season
      I would also look at the PA-12, the versatility it gives you and saves a few pounds. The best thing about the Hobies you can try them out. I went to Backyard Boats in Annapolis and tried them out at their floating pier. This will give you an idea of size and stability. All of my fishing has been in salt water this year, and the PA-14 has been nothing but excellent. The size and weight may be a hindrance ( You need a trailer for a 14), but the benefits are huge. I am getting a second Hobie(Outback), for areas where you can't take a trailer. The investment is worth it. If you are going to do this and want to have fun and enjoyment, don't let a deal get in the way of that. When you go out with guys with peddle drives and watch the paddler fisherman, you will see a huge difference.

Yak67
      2015 Hobie Pa-14
      Soon 2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys, really good points. The reason i was considering the Thresher is not only the good deal, but it seems as though there will be other propulsion options available for it in the future ie the trolling motor or the peddle drive that I saw posted in someones video. The thought of the center console expandability appeals to me especially for different situations.

Comment

Couple comments, I have an Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 , paddles like a dream and loves the rough stuff, never felt uncomfortable in it, very comparable to the Thresher , which Wilderness is on the verge of a peddle drive system which will fit it, if it truly works that would be an awesome Kayak. I've paddled a Thresher my buddy has one it is a nice paddling yak, paddle yaks that really work are 29" or less. My other kayak is a Native Propel Slayer 13, all I can say is reverse is awesome! I'll be in the Slayer this weekend at Cape May Tourney. Problem I feel is going on is all the fishing yaks are getting wider, and heavier, my Slayer weighs 85lbs, plus you have to add 19 lbs. for the drive and seat for a total of 104lbs. that's a lot compared to the OK Ultra 68lbs, trailers are an option, but I live at least 2.5 hours from the salt and tow a camper so trailer isn't my option. I do not hate Hobie, the Revo 13 is as light a weight peddle yak as you can get. Just saying..............Jack

Comment

im a hobie fanatic now. I'm so happy i pulled the trigger and got a pro angler 14 for my first yak. now i will say that yes its heavy and a pain in the ass sometimes for certain launches. but on the water it is an amazing vessel.... no if you don't want that huge weight then i suggest you go with the outback. i know reverse is nice with the slayer, but get the outback and then save up for the Torqeedo trolling system for the outback. its amazing i must say, especially for trolling. having electric is truly a benefit especially when you are in serious current. you don't have to worry about your legs wearing out. this is all one mans opinion but i will say no matter what you get you will have fun. its the best decision for my love of fishing that i have ever made
            Rich
            Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

I currently own a tarpon 140, by far my best paddling yak I've owned. Great on speed and can average around 4mph (flat water lake) the thresher is also a great big water option. More flair in the bow but still has the narrow hull. I'm 6' 215lbs and the thresher is the only other kayak I would upgrade to at the moment. Great kayak. My only thing is how much time have you had on the water? Paddling big water with currents can wear you out QUICK! I love my paddle yak and dont see me switching over anytime soon. But the hobie would be more user friendly if just jumping into kayak fishing big water. Also a note about the thresher and the future peddle drive system.....I'm not sure but when I demoed a thresher the flex pod sits way way up in the cockpit, and I dont see wilderness releasing a peddle drive for that kayak. Where the atak and tarpon 130x have a seat you can trim forward and back (ie adjust for leg length to the drive) the thresher has a fixed seat and would require a complete different drive. Again all speculation. Both are great yaks. But for big water and currents as much as I HATE saying this hobies will be better (ugh that hurt to say) lol either way welcome! Any more questions don't hesitate to ask!

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
              Last edited by lovett88; 10-22-2015, 08:57 PM.
              Tan-Tarpon 140
              Lime-Pelican Matrix
              Yellow-Scrambler XT

Comment

Happy Hooker,

My primary concern was transportability when I purchased my Revo. I wanted a kayak that I could car top and launch alone. The Revo’s weight and width fit that bill. It’s narrow allowing me to grasp it easily in the center for lifting with both of my arms. Also it’s much more stable than its dimensions imply when compared to wider boats. I do not fear choppy or big water in it.

The foot propulsion was actually an afterthought. I am indeed glad to have pedals for all the reasons typically stated here. However I have discovered that a rudder is incredibly useful for fishing. I can cruise down a shoreline with the current or wind at my back, not touching my pedals yet staying on track merely by bumping the rudder control. In a rudderless boat I would have to use the paddle to correct my course which would mean putting aside my rod. So if you like to fish structure (or think you may someday) don’t overlook the benefits of steering without paddles. Many paddle boats also have rudders.

Another thing to consider is that as you get into the hobby, your fishing approaches will expand through contacts with people you meet here and through your experiences on the water. You will fish in ways from your kayak that you never contemplated before buying it. That means that you cannot fully predetermine everything you will need in a kayak now.

Buy a good kayak from a reputable maker – the big names are discussed here all the time. It will be well made and typically have good customer support. And buy one that will allow you to grow with the hobby. Get a kayak that allows you to easily adapt and accessorize to meet the changes in your fishing style that inevitably will come as you spend more time on the water.

So don’t overthink your purchase. Get a good kayak to start. It will serve you well during your initial learning period and grow with you as your skills and fishing styles change. You will adapt to it but most important, a good boat will be flexible enough to adapt to you.

Good luck and welcome to the hobby and the forum,
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Welcome to the site. I love paddling my Cuda 14, flat water no wind, I can sustain a 4 mph paddle. Having said that, wind and tide changes things, time on the water changes things. Managing lines and a paddle changes things. After about 4 hours of paddling, you start to wear out. If your fishing close to shore, you can paddle and fish all day. I have fished with those that use Hobie products and see how much easier it is to manage lines and tackle hands free. But for now, I plan my distance, check the tides and winds and fish accordingly. Of course if I spend more time then planned and get worn out, I drop the Torqeedo. All is good.
                  Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                  Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Marks advice is excellent. Any good boat will serve you well.

I own a Thresher 155 and I love it. It takes me wherever I want to go without fear of open water. It served me well on a striper / Albie trip to Long Island Sound earlier this fall. The seas built to 5' and I was rock solid while my partner went over (but got in safely). I was out in it last night and, while the water was generally calm, random boat wakes that snuck up on me while fishing barely raised an eyebrow. It is a great platform from which to fish.

I am a big guy that has a pension for too much gear. The Thresher has the capacity to haul anything I want and customize the configuration to exactly meet my needs. Anything I want is at my fingertips. As I gain experience in the sport, I am paring down what I shlep out not he water. The ability to have everything I DO need right where I want it is fantastic.

I am also curious about the pedal drive that is being discussed. I doubt I will spring for the motorized insert, but the pedals would be nice. Currently, I can easily maintain 3mph but my arms feel it after a 10 mile day. The benefits of a pedal drive are undeniable....(that hurt me too)

The only thing I wish was different about my beloved boat is when I have to put it on my car. She is a beast out of the water.

If you are interested, we have a Thresher 140 (Mango) at EMS Annapolis. Today and tomorrow is our Club Day sale. Snaggedliners will receive 20% off. Feel free to come in or reach out if you have specific questions about the Thresher. I have put many miles on it this summer and can address any thoughts.

Good luck with the search!
                    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

I dont think you can go wrong with any boat mentioned here

I have a PA12, because i do all sorts of fishing and i love to stand and stretch the legs out.. and even something as simple as not having the beach my boat to take a leak... just go right thro the drive.. sounds really dumb but its really awesome when your on the water.

the outbacks are great boats. the threashers are great boats
                      tarpons, jacksons..
                      literally anything you buy its going to be a very nice product.. its just going to come down to what you feel like is going to suit you best.. and with the season winding down, yeah you can grab a great price.. or you can take your time demoing all of these boats, plus have time to save up for a hobie if thats what you want. particularly when the 2016s come out those 2015s will go on clearances as well.

For the jackson and hobie and native line you can demo them right at Delaware Paddle sports, plenty of users here will tell you they are great guys. The best customer service.

But test out all the boats you have in mind. things go on sale all the time.

good luck!
                      Zach Moore
                      Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
                      Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
                      Bait Towel Pro Staff
                      2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                      YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Working...
                      X