Baitcaster gear ratio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baitcaster gear ratio?

I'm looking at trying a baitcaster this year and was wondering about gear ratio. I see some models offer a choice and since I've never used one before I really don't know what direction to go. I am looking for one to jig with but also cast. I'm new and not close to the bay so this would be something I'd use 1 or 2 times a month on the bay and the rest on local lakes. Thanks. Right now I'm looking at the Shimano Chronarch Cl4 151 plus 6.2:1 or 7.6:1. I like to buy once and have read mostly positive things about it. Plus a member here touted it and I have some Cabela points to burn. Thanks
    2016 Hobie Outback Limited #220
    2016 Jackson Cuda 12
    2015 Emotion 11 Stealth Angler

Either of those should be fine. I have had maybe a dozen different bait casters and not noticed a benefit with one or the other in terms of speed. That being said I'd get the faster one. I think it's mostly user preference.

Are you planning to spool with braid or mono?
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Silas I'm not sure at this point. I know some of the time I would like to jig around structure but other times cast. I usually use braid but not sure how that would hold up around rocks, bridge pylons etc... I am very new to this as I keep repeating in most of my posts which are usually questions, so I'm open to all suggestions. Also, would this reel be sufficient for jigging other species in the south of the bay? Thanks for replying
      Last edited by 1idrod; 03-19-2016, 06:24 PM. Reason: added question
      2016 Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

I'd suggest mono if you plan on casting much, and learning to cast. I've come full circle. Started out with mono, mainly because that was the only option 15+ years ago. Later I switched almost everything to braid, especially as it's gotten better. Now I'm running about 1/2 & 1/2, keeping the braid on trolling and spinning reels, mono on jigging setups.
        2015 Hobie Outback
        2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

I do not own any baitcasters (tried them and did not like them). I cannot offer any advice on specific brands.

A higher gear ratio offers faster lure movement, whereas a lower gear ratio allows more cranking power. When choosing a reel, consider how you plan to use it and whether speed or cranking power is more important to you. Make sure the handle size and shape is comfortable in your hands.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
            I do not own any baitcasters (tried them and did not like them). I cannot offer any advice on specific brands.

A higher gear ratio offers faster lure movement, whereas a lower gear ratio allows more cranking power. When choosing a reel, consider how you plan to use it and whether speed or cranking power is more important to you. Make sure the handle size and shape is comfortable in your hands.
            Thank you both for the replies so far. I'm just confused when jigging on the bottom near structure whether I need the power to move them away from it or the speed to bring them away from places they could wedge in to or rub a line off on. Speed or Power? This will be my first baitcaster also. I know there will be a learning curve with it and I'm prepared for that. Thanks again, David
            2016 Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Baitcaster gear ratio?

Theoretically probably power, but again I don't think it makes much difference either way. Speed makes a much more notable difference on something like a big conventional reel when you're cranking in a 500 lb marlin. On a small baitcaster I still say its all personal preference.
              2015 Hobie Outback
              2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

In the past few years a lot of company's got caught up in a faster and faster reel speed. To me it has gotten out of hand with some of them. I Always choose the low speed now. I have a few 7 to 1 gear ratio reels but never really throw them, they are great for picking up line but I fish slow...so they are not needed. I keep one on a topwater rod but anything else is all low gears. Currently my go to is a abu c4 4600 6.4 to 1. From bass to bay it has been a workhorse the past 2 seasons. Never felt under powered. And 30" per handle turn is MORE then enough line in my opinion.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
                Tan-Tarpon 140
                Lime-Pelican Matrix
                Yellow-Scrambler XT

Comment

Originally posted by 1idrod View Post
                  Thank you both for the replies so far. I'm just confused when jigging on the bottom near structure whether I need the power to move them away from it or the speed to bring them away from places they could wedge in to or rub a line off on. Speed or Power? This will be my first baitcaster also. I know there will be a learning curve with it and I'm prepared for that. Thanks again, David
                  If you are jigging on the bottom near structure (for example jigging for stripers at the Bay Bridge Pilings), it probably does not matter whether you have power vs. speed. If you are casting to heavy structure for largemouth bass, you want the power to pull the fish away from structure before they tangle the line or break you off. For some species a rapid retrieve is desirable -- the higher speed works out better there.

In reality, there is no perfect reel for all situations. Start out with a reel that feels comfortable in your hands and meets your budget. If you like baitcasters, it won't be your last one.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I always looked at it this way.

Will I be moving the bait slow or fast. You have to crank the reel to bring in line/move the bait. Do I want to be working my hand/wrist/fore arm to death or just taking it easy?

For crank baits and spinner baits I try to use low speed reels. Some of my old Shimanos and Quantums are 3.8 to 1.

For buzz baits at the edges of weeds or even over top of the weeds I want to be able to keep that buzz bait on top of the water so I used the higher speed reels.

It can be hard to really slow a spinner bait or crank bait down with a high speed reel, or hard to keep a buzz bait on top with a slow speed reel.

Do the fish care? Can't see how they care about how hard you're working, but sometimes they do care about bait/lure speed.

Comment

I have bait casters with different ratios and I do not notice much difference in them. I automatically adjust the speed of my retrieve to fit the situation. Adrenalin takes over when a fish strikes!

Generally the thought is that a lower ratio reel (more power) is better for retrieving lures that offer more resistance, like long lipped deep diving crank baits. Higher ratios are for faster moving baits like M14ME said above. But I do not use those kinds of baits so that is probably why I notice no difference between my reels.

I will offer this advice. Bait casters most often come with the crank on the right side. Even though I am right handed I find cranking with my right hand awkward. I trace that to my more prevalent use of spinning reels which are most often set up with the crank on the left. I even set up my fly rods to crank their reels on the left.

Most models of bait caster models can be purchased with a crank on the left but you may have to order them. That's what I did. I usually don't see left-hand retrieve reels on the shelves in stores.

So more than gear ratio I would be concerned with which side of the reel the crank is on.

Good luck.
                      Last edited by Mark; 03-20-2016, 08:02 AM.
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I own 5 different bait casters and to be honest I really don't notice the difference. The difference I do notice is my magnetic brake ones vs my centrifugal brake ones. Each has a different way of setting up for casting distance, backlash aid prevention and windage. Backlashing can be a royal pita and most new users when getting them will start by cutting line off which isn't necessary as once learned they aren't really that difficult to remove, just time consuming. The real pita is getting a backlash and having a strike as soon as the lure hits the water...lol There are some really good videos for setting up and backlash removal so I suggest seeking those out once you have made your choice.

Comment

Thanks to everyone who's contributed, it's been a great help. Yes Mark, I'm right handed also and was looking at the Shimano Chronarch left side retrieve. The gear thing just kinda threw me. For that kind of purchase I needed some schooling. Thanks again!!
                          2016 Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Here is my advice on bait casters, if you are pitching and flipping jigs or creature baits go for a high speed (7.0) or higher. This will allow you to get the bait back to you faster to pitch again. If you hook up a bass in cover you can hopefully retrieve them quicker before they get you hung up in the structure. I use mostly 6.0 or higher on my reels for fresh and salt water, I do own one 5.4 reel that I use for cranks baits.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                              I have bait casters with different ratios and I do not notice much difference in them. I automatically adjust the speed of my retrieve to fit the situation. Adrenalin takes over when a fish strikes!

Generally the thought is that a lower ratio reel (more power) is better for retrieving lures that offer more resistance, like long lipped deep diving crank baits. Higher ratios are for faster moving baits like M14ME said above. But I do not use those kinds of baits so that is probably why I notice no difference between my reels.

I will offer this advice. Bait casters most often come with the crank on the right side. Even though I am right handed I find cranking with my right hand awkward. I trace that to my more prevalent use of spinning reels which are most often set up with the crank on the left. I even set up my fly rods to crank their reels on the left.

Most models of bait caster models can be purchased with a crank on the left but you may have to order them. That's what I did. I usually don't see left-hand retrieve reels on the shelves in stores.

So more than gear ratio I would be concerned with which side of the reel the crank is on.

Good luck.
                              Im in the same boat Mark, I too am right handed and prefer left retrieve reels. My dad is the same. It makes no sense to me why right handers choose to cast with their right, switch to retrieve, and fight the fish with the weak hand. Especially since most are already doing the opposite with spinning tackle. I find it even more awkward with bigger conventional reels fighting large fish, and sadly almost all charters are setup with right handed reels. Luckily the market is changing and we can actually find left retrieve conventional reels now, that was not the case 15 years ago.
                              2015 Hobie Outback
                              2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Working...
                              X