Don't Let Disabilities Stop You From Kayak or Canoe Fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't Let Disabilities Stop You From Kayak or Canoe Fishing

Anyone with limited disabilites or medical problems who wants to continue to enjoy kayaking, canoeing, camping, fishing, hunting or just being in the outdoors, but needs some words of hope and encouragement from someone whoes been their, I've put my personal experiences in writing.

Don't let the Doctors dictate what you can & can't do. Healing your body depends a lot on you and your will to heal. Doctors perscribe pills, physical therapy and surgery. But in many cases its up to you the patient that determines the outcome.

I am a very blessed man, in 2007 my aorta in my chest near my heart actually split open while I was at home. The only pain I felt was in my jaw. No chest pain or other heart related pains. I felt a little clammy so my wife called the ambo. Para-Medics checked vitals & did a cardiogram & could not find symptoms other than my appearence and complaint of jaw pain. They wanted to take me to hospital to be checked but would not take me to the hospital of my preference because it was out of my district.

My wife drove me to hospital of my choice. Good Thing. This hospital is well know for its heart treatment & cardiac surgery. Plus most (all) of my other Doctors are in the medical center at this hospital. I carry a printed copy of my complete Medical History, Medications, attending Doctors, Blood Type, Surgeries, allergies and ongoing medical conditions, folded in a pocket size shape with me whereever I go.

Until now I had no history of any heart problems, I exercised and worked out 3 days a week walking 3 miles with 5lb hand weights. When I arrived at the hospital all the bells & whistles went off. Luckily a well know Interventional Cardiologist was their on another case. The emergency room doctor said he was sure my condition was heart related but had to call for the Cardiologist to locate the problem.

The same Cardiologist Dr Medae that is in the news today examined me and said I need a Cath Procedure to confirm his diagnosis and I would need emergency heart surgery if he was right.

I had the cath procedure and could hear the Doctor say Code Blue Dissected Aorta, patient is critical, call in the Thorasic Surgeon Dr. Sell and his excellent team of Cardiac Surgical Nurses and Anastesiasts.

I didn't know it at the time, they told my wife about the dissected aorta leaking blood into my chest and I need emergency open heart surgery. They also told my wife that I had a 20% chance of surviving this surgery, as this was as serious a cardiac event as it gets.

After 9 hours on the operating table I was taken off life support and wheeled to IC. They sawed open my rib cage, put me on life support, stopped my heart and repaired the split aorta using a gortex tube. While they had me opened up they also did a triple bypass on 3 partially clogged arteries and check out everything else inside me. The Surgeon and Surgical Nurses all told me afterwards that they were amazed on how well I withstood all that trauma and if I would not have been in the shape I was in, I probably wouldn't be hear.

I made a quick recovery through in & out patient cardiac rehab and a lot of hard work & exercise on my own. The driving force & motivation to fully recover was I wanted more time with my wife and daughter, and I wanted to be able to fish and hunt again. Here is a list of other surgeries that I have had:

2010 Total Left Knee Replacement
    2009 Total Right Knee Replacement
    2008 R/Eye Vitrectomy, Lensectomy & Cataract,
    2005 TURP Prostrate Surgery
    2003, L/Eye Cataract Surgery
    2003 Corrective Cataract Implant Revision Surgery
    2002 Arthroscopic L/Knee Surgery
    2000 Laproscopic Upper Colon Sectioning Surgery
    1986, L5 Lumbar Disc Surgery

I only listed these surgeries in hopes that others who have or will experience medical problems won't give up that which they love and enjoy most about life, family, friends, fishing, hunting and everything else. I have been very blessed by God. But I believe that God gives you the strength and will to help yourself but its up to YOU to do the heavy lifting.

Now at age 69 with a few medical problems behind me, I have taken on a new & exciting challenge of learning how to fish from a canoe. Due to my physical limitations, I had to make some adjustments and adaptations to my methods and gear that I need to pursue the art of canoe fishing. I am still a rank novice and have a lot to learn.

It is not easy to overcome a physical limitation. It requires a lot of forethought, planning and trial and error. But it also takes a lot of heart, determination and a willingness to strengthen that which you can strengthen both physically and mentally. And understand from the beginning that no one can do it for you. Often the road you will travel is usually long, bumpy and can break your spirit, if you let it.

I began by taking some in-water canoe lessons. Then I rented both canoes and kayaks to see which one would suite me the best. I decided on the canoe because of the leg room and comfort factor. But it has its draw backs. It weighs 75lbs and not as fast or agile as a kayak.

Factor in my physical limitations, I worked out a set of written procedures on how to move, load, unload, transport, enter, exit, paddle & fish from my canoe. I still need to refine these methods but that will take a lot more in-water practice and learning from experienced kayak fisherman. This is why I am seeking the company of more experienced canoe & kayak fisherman so I can learn from them the art of kayak/canoe fishing while enjoying their company, and the safety in numbers, as opposed to going it alone. Plus I hope to make some longtime fishing buddies that enjoy fishing from kayaks and canoes.

Joe P

Good Lord, that's incredible and I commend your commitment to the outdoors. I'm young now and my body is in good working order. I've been pretty lucky and haven't had any serious injuries. That's not to say that one day they won't come and in fact I expect it. When the day comes I will look to this as motivation. On that note I have only been to a couple M&G's but I know for a fact there are many on this board that also suffer from various ailments and I commend them as well. I swear, I hope I have as much gumption as you guys when I'm of that age and a little worse for wear to get out on the water with a bunch of young guys. I guess I still have a bit to learn about what it takes to get out there and do what you love despite pain, medical history or otherwise. I think you'll find you came to the right place to search out new fishing buddies.
    www.anglerswithoutborders.com
    Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

wow, you are one strong willed guy! what kind of fishing from shore do you typically do and what kind of fishing from the canoe are you interested
      sigpic

Comment

You are a very inspiring person, Joe. I'm impressed and I give you a lot of credit for your heart and will to pursue what you enjoy doing. I can only say I encourage you to continue your life goals. I, and I'm sure the others on this forum, will certainly help you get the most from canoe/kayak fishing.

Keep up the positive thinking, and I hope to see you on the water.

Thanks for sharing your story!
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Disabilities & Physical Limitation

Thank you all for your kindness in welcoming a new comer to MD Kayak Fishing Forum. In a very short time, I feel at home with the members of this forum. I count my blessing every day and this forum is truely a blessing.

At first, not knowing anyone in canoeing, I joined the American Canoe Assn and was going to join the Greater Baltimore Canoe Club. They too have forums. Very good organizations and serve an important role in the preservation and protection of canoeing, kayaking and the waterways. But here I feel that I truely belong among fellow sportsman and here is where I want to stay.

Many other good folks today are fighting heart failure, cancer, diseases too many to mention and learning to live with physical disabilities and limitation. Many of our brave solders who returned from Nam, Irag and Afganastan, came back with far worst disabilities and physical limitations than I could every want to endure. They got theirs fighting for us and Out Country and protecting our FREEDOM here at home. Many of these brave solders never even made it back home.

I love to see the outdoor tv shows that host a disabled vet on an all expense paid, fully equipped free gear and guided fishing or hunting trip. Navy Seal Marcus Latrel is one of those heros who gave all for his Country and his fellow Seals. Thank God, he survived and now co-hosts one of those Outdoor TV Hunting Shows. When he introduces himself at the beginning of his show, all he says about himselft is "Marcus Latrel, Navy Seal, I Love My Country."

Their is a great book published about Navy Seal Marcus Latrel's military missions, his heroic deeds under fire, lone survival and escape after being wounded by terrorist bullets. Latrel was one of a 6 man Seal Team who were on a secret seek and destroy mission when they were accidentially discovered by a large group of 60 plus trained, well armed terrorist.

Six brave Seals engaged in a 8 hour runing fire fight with 60+ terrorist somewhere in the mountains and desert of Afgannastan. The 6 Seals killed most of the terrorist but not all. Every one of the Seals had been hit at list once or twice by AK47 bullets. The wounded Seals still fought and killed the enemy before five of them had died from their wounds. Latrel, severely wounded, amazingly survived and escaped. His book should be mandatory reading in all high schools. But I quess that will never happen.

If anyone wants to read about this real life account of a true American Military Hero just google his name. You can get the short version of his ordeal online or buy and read the entire book There are many more Marcus Latrels that have served in our Military and are still serving. God Bless and protect each and everyone of them.

I believe that the kayak, canoe and fishing are ideal recreational activities that many disabled vets and non-vets can enjoy and use as part of their rehab to help strengthen their bodies and minds.

I have a relative who is a Full Bird Air Force Colonel in charge of rehab for disabled and dismembered vets returning from active duty for State side medical treatment and rehab. She is one of only 5 women Full Bird Colonels in the Military. I am going to email her and suggest kayaking, canoeing and fishing as part of the Militaries Rehab Programs. I am also going to provide her with the URL address of the Maryland Kayak Fishing Forum.

Joe P

Comment

Hey Joe, Sounds exactly like you fit my definition of a crusty old bugger to a T, Hope to be able to refer to myself that way someday I've met a few over the years and they were all an inspiration! As for helping wounded soldiers get on the water, I'm not around right now but I would love to give some time to doing just that when I get back. Poor SOB's over here go through a lot of shit that not many people can even imagine. They deserve all our respect and gratitude no matter what your opinion is of the reasons we are here and in Iraq. Good Fishin

Chimo

Comment

Welcome Joe! Yours is one incredible story. And inspirational as others have mentioned. I am somewhat behind you in age and, except for some hypertension, still in reasonably good health. I will remember your message as I get on when some of those things are sure to come my way. And if it's ok with you, I will forward it on to some family members that are struggling with coming to terms with their health related issues. I'm sure they will find your words helpful. Thanks for taking the time to post.

And your points regarding our military heroes are well taken. While I never served I am very grateful to each and every service member. True heroes all of them. You may be interested in a program for returning wounded called Heroes on the Water: http://heroesonthewater.org/home There are several kayak fishing tournaments around the country that support them.

Hope to meet you sometime at one of our meet and greets.

Regards, John

Comment

Working...
              X