Becoming a better Yaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Becoming a better Yaker?

Ok, I did post my fishing report on the August M&G thread, but here’s the other story at OC on that Saturday afternoon.

We had been fishing over four hours along the south jetty near the inlet. After floating around leisurely and talking a bit with JJoley (we were about 250 yards from the inlet and next to the Assateague Bay entrance), he decided to go in. I said I’m going back to the inside of the jetty to do more fishing. I went to the same area the three of us were fishing earlier. It was early afternoon.

After drifting toward the inlet with no bites, I started back up along the jetty. Didn’t realize the current was so strong. I paddled (with e-motor at full throttle) fairly hard for about 20 minutes and gained less than a hundred yards. Built up a sweat. I still needed another hundred or so yards to get out of the current, so I waved at a boat (I think it was a bass boat) and asked the two fisherman for a tow (towing shouldn’t be too difficult, right? WRONG!). He said OK.

When he came around and threw me the rope, we were about 30 yards from the inlet. I held on and we went forward. After moving a few feet, I let go because the yak went askew. On the second pass, the boat came next to me and the owner secured the yak bow toward the bow of his boat. My yak was starboard and parallel with the bass boat. I held the boat stern/side with my left hand. As we started forward I said to go slowly. He said he had to give it more throttle because we were not making ground. I heard the motor roar. The turbulent waves hitting the boat and yak was too much, and before I knew it, my yak rolled over with my bow still attached to the boat. Like a rolling alligator, the yak threw me into the water.

My head never went underwater, so I turned, swam and grabbed on to the stern of the yak. I worked my way to the boat, so I ended up holding the sterns of the boat and yak. Within a minute or so a jet ski with a tail platform came by. I got onto the platform and then transferred to the bass boat with no problem.

Two of us in the boat were holding on to the yak. The yak was nearly filled with water, so we could not upright or lift the yak. The boat owner was going to tow the yak to the beach, but he was concerned that the drag would tip his boat. There were several jet skiers around. One of the guys said we should call the Coast Guard for assistance. I felt a bit reluctant to have them called, but someone called them.

After about five minutes, the CG boat arrived. The crew pulled my yak onto their boat and secured it. I then transferred from the bass boat to the CG boat. We started to head in. By that time we were out about a mile and a half from the inlet.

This could have been more serious, but it still made me rethink the way I approach yak fishing. So, here’s some thoughts.

Lesson Learned and Thoughts:
    - Currents can be deceiving. Although I have nearly three years experience and have battled many currents in the Bay, the OC inlet turned out to be too strong at the time.
    - It looks easy, but unless you know how to do it, don’t get towed.
    - This one is a reminder about wearing your PFD. It worked great in the current/waves. My head never went underwater.
    - When in a potentially rough situation, secure your things. I have and use leashes a lot. Guess what? I didn’t secure two of the three poles and my tackle bag. Yep, I lost two rods/reels, couple trays with lures and other stuff. But the most critical was the yak’s pod cover, which was not fully secured.
    - Don’t count on the SOT yak to float or to be uprightable. My Prowler Trident yak probably would have floated had the pod cover been fully and tightly secured (the pod compartment is below the yaker’s knees at mid yak). When the yak rolled, the waves knocked the loose cover off and water immediately poured into the 24” X 7” hole in seconds. Also, the 50 pound battery was still connected to the motor on the yak. This weight didn’t help, but even if the battery broke loose, I still had water pouring into the yak. When I installed the motor system last year I was going to put a quick-disconnect adapter on the power cable. I never got around to it.
    - If you’re caught in a current, you could ride it out. The CG crewman later said if you end up miles away, call for help. If I drifted out I could have done this since I had my floatable marine radio with me. You could also ride the current diagonally and come around to the beach. (Instead, I just had to get that tow )
    - Jet skiers can appear to be a bit pesky zipping here and there, but they can also be a helpful bunch. There were several jet skiers around the bass boat ready to help. One guy offered his tail platform for me to climb on. Another guy retrieved many of my belongings from the drift. Still another guy jumped into the water to help keep my yak from sinking. He also used his whistle to signal passing boats to slow down, and he yelled at them, “No wakes!” So, thanks to those jet skiers!
    - Thanks to the bass boater guys too! It wasn’t their fault. They actually only wanted to help me with the tow.
    - I drove three hours to OC, fished over four hours straight, battled strong current, got tossed from the yak, did a little swimming, loaded the yak back on the car and drove back home. When I got home, I wasn’t all that tired. I do exercise five times a week (weight lifting, running, biking ,etc). I also get a good night’s rest before I go yak fishing. Yeah, so what!?!? My point, folks, is you should be physically prepared for a possible sticky situation on the water.
    - One more. Thanks to the Coast Guard! The were professional (They didn’t even scold me ).

I lost fishing gear, but more importantly, I’m fine, with no injuries. Ok, Ok, I made some dumb moves. I think this incident had some good though. It made me rethink my approach to yak fishing, and made me a better yaker, I hope. And I hope my experience helps you become a better yaker too.

Thanks for reading. See you on the water soon.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Praise God Tufnik, I'm glad you are ok!
    GB

Comment

Wow what a read and thanks for sharing. Glad you're here with us, sharing it. It'll definitely serve as a lesson.

It's tricky for me to tow a kayak side by side, so I can't even imagine how the physics would work with a powerboat giving a tow. The best way I can imagine is a stern to bow connection from the tug to the barge. That's what works best on the small scale for me. I imagine it would have been best for you had you guys been able to do so.

Glad to hear of the many hands on deck that were willing to provide assistance.
      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Glad you were ok. Gear can be replaced.
        2012 Hobie Revo 13'
        2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Good post, tufnik. I'm sorry it happened, but there's a lot of good info there. I wondered what would happen while being towed from by a boat. Two other good points are 1) don't panic (and you didn't), and 2) have a back up plan in case the current or weather turns (i.e. paddle diagonally to the beach, if possible). A couple places I fish are far from the launch but close to other places where I could beach and get picked up relatively easily by my wife if I couldn't make it back to the launch. I need a back up plan for a couple other places I fish.

One point I almost learned the hard way was about dealing with strong winds and high waves. I got caught in a sudden breeze-up at PLO that produced a lot 3ft+ waves that were so close together that my old Outback didn't really fit in the troughs well. I turned around to head back to the launch, which was really, really hairy, thinking I could surf the waves back. My old Outback wallowed like a pig in a following sea, and the waves were too close to surf without getting sideways or being stopped cold by the leading wave, both of which really weren't good. Making it back to safe water took a lot of body english and a tight hand on the rudder. In hindsight, it would've been safer to keep my bow pointed into the wind and waves, pedal just enough to maintain that orientation, and let the wind and waves push me back to shore. By the time I got back to the launch, the wind had died anyway. I spent 45min sweating bullets and hoping for the best when I could have just waited the waves out with much less effort and puckering.

Anyway, thanks for sharing and all the tips and really glad you're OK.
          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

glad your ok, martin told me he thought you had flipped in the inlet but wasnt sure. lesson learned the hard way. glad there were good sams. there to lend a hand. been through that inlet at least a hundred times in my boats not something i want to be in on a piece of plastic in a 7-10 knot current

Comment

Glad your safe!! we heard rumors that afternoon that this had went down, but we didn't see or hear anything. Those jetski guys were most likely my buddies that work at Inlet Sea-Doos right there next the the Oceanic Pier. They are good people and they're the guides that try to keep the crazy people that rent the jet skis from doing all the dumb stuff they try to do. I'm glad they were able to help you out a little.

Comment

Glad it all worked out safely. I have been caught in the out going current at Oregon Inlet NC. It was an eye opener for me as well.
                Last edited by Rockchaser; 08-18-2011, 09:24 PM.
                Jim

Hobie Outback
                TKAA member
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Glad your alright and things turned out OK.

Another thing a kayaker can do, which I read about along time ago, is to put pool noodles inside of a SOT. I have four wrapped around the uprights that form the scuppers on my Ocean Kayak Big Game. I used long electrical ties to connect them. Even if flooded, they will help to keep the kayak afloat. A secondary use is that the shaped oval keeps things from shifting too far. The quick disconnect is a good idea. I have my second battery hooked to the kayak with an electric motor plug, which I hope would break away, should I turtle. Of course my second battery is in the front hatch.

That is a good point about the hatch on the Trident. When I had my Trident, I would always keep the hatch secured. Sometimes that was a chore, when in the excitment of fishing. Even with the hatch secured, some water will get in. I know when the water is rough and the bow dips under the waves, I get water into the Big Game from under the front hatch. That is the result of a heavy bow, as my second battery is in the front hatch. I plan on adding additional sealant under the front hatch.

Again, glad you're OK.

Comment

Oh wow. Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm relieved that you are okay.

I was there at OC, but did not get a chance to meet you. Hopefully I'll get to meet you soon at a get-together.
                    Sun Fishin'

Comment

Tufnik,
                      So glad you are ok. Holy crap that could have been much worse. Some tackle & gear, big deal. We will fish together again! That's a big deal! What an experience. But, you didn't panic. Very important. Anyone reading needs to take note. Keep your head! And glad to hear of all the help you received from all kinds of boaters. It's a special community. Including the CG, of course. They really are the best and I never have a problem if they want to do a safety check when I'm out on the boat. Always pros...

Great lessons learned and appreciate you taking the time to post what happened. I certainly underestimated the power of your electric. Otherwise I might have been a little more vocal about going back out. Having grown up in NY and fished the coastal waters of NY & NJ I know better than to mess with an ocean inlet on a strong outgoing tide. I have first hand experience being towed by the CG through an ocean inlet. The difference was the size of the boat!

I am not afraid of that inlet or, any other for that matter. In fact, want to do it again soon! But... you must know the tides, moon phase (affects current strength & speed), time of day (affects boat traffic), wind speed and direction (affects current & wave heights), day of week (affects boat traffic) and... know your limits and the limits of your equipment!

If any of that was negative I would have hit the bridge. Or, maybe not have even come to this M&G! As it turned out it was a perfect morning for working that inlet. The negative occurred once the tide was ripping out and boat traffic became busy.

Sorry you lost some gear. Super very glad we can fish together in the future!

Comment

Praising the Lord that you are OK. You did great keeping your head!
                        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Tuf- that is a hairy thing to have happen and one reason I don't like to kayak fish some of the inlets and some of the very best fishing areas- current around the CBBT is awesome- been out in a boat fishing for Grey Trout many times and notice how the current runs for hours at six to seven knots- no way you could paddle that long or keep up with that kind of current- you would have to anchor up and wait it out or end up off the coast of England! Glad you are OK- I have stuffed four pool noodles inside my Prowler Angler- it is slightly different model without the rod pod, but the hull is the same as yours- I don't ever open the front hatch on the water, so my hull is sealed and should survive a turtle without filling with water.

Sorry about losing your rods and reels but look on the bright side- that gives you an excuse to "upgrade" to something nice you wanted- I have gotten so that I cut way back on what I am taking fishing with me- almost a bare boat, now- the fish finder is a must so I keep it with me, but a basic crate and a small soft sided tackle bag with three smaller Plano plastic boxes with a small assortment of lures- a jug of water and my handheld ICom M 24 VHF attached to my PFD- and I always wear it- some times open for cooling purposes but on my body like an shirt that isn't buttoned up. I keep everything else in the trunk of my car- If need be I could outfit a tackle shop out of it! I have boxes of soft plastics, hard baits, etc. in several big Plano trays- I usually carry three rods- for salt water two 6500C3 outfits and a Penn 440SS spinning outfit- for Mattawoman creek I usually carry three rods as well- two casting outfits- a 4600C3 and the Revo SXHS and my 30 year old little ultra light Quantum spinner with 4 pound Spiderwire mono- love to catch bass on that little wand-

I have not had the experience you had, but I have had a few times out on the water when I should have been on dry land- and it makes you wonder about the close calls- We need to remember that we are in tiny plastic boats in a great big ocean- the water we fish can go from tranquil to rough in minutes- I bought my OK Prowler for its seaworthiness in rough salt water, not because I want to be out in rough water, but because I know the water can fool you and you get caught out in stuff you would never launch in. It is one of the models of Kayaks the Texas and California boys use that fish from surf launches and I watched a lot of nasty You Tube surf launches that I don't think I would have even tried- What don't kill you makes you stronger is an old adage that applies to kayaking, too- your experience makes you a better kayaker-
                          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Scary stuff, good to hear you're ok. Thanks for posting too. As a recent beginner to kayak fishing there's many valuable lessons there for me. I've been keeping a close eye on the tide charts for where I plan to fish as I have already learned that getting into some ripping current can be hell to paddle against.
                            Brian

Comment

WOW...

That's a scary situation and i'm glad you made it out with only gear loss. Inlets get scary quickly and the only bailout option at OC is a beach side landing which is another task in its self.

This makes me realize how lucky i was at Oregon Inlet a couple weeks ago. Its a very bad feeling when you are paddling full steam and barely moving forward.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. This post has information that will help everybody on this site. I for one always wondered how getting a tow from a boat would effect the kayak. After reading this i will avoid that at all costs now.

The rod pod is another item of concern for me. I have left it off or loosely connected while fishing many times due to laziness. This is one thing i will never do again.

Comment

Working...
                              X