Launch sites with locked gates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Launch sites with locked gates

Several of the newer Anne Arundel County launches have locked gates with combination locks. You need to contact the AA County Dept of Recreation and Parks to get the combination. I assumed that once I had the combination, I could get in easily. However, on two occasions, I showed up at Homeport Farms and entered the combination that I had written down on my previous visit. It did not work. On Sat morning I had to use my cell phone to visit the Department's website and get a new combination. I found that inconvenient. Yesterday I wrote to the Department with these comments:

"I visit the Homeport Farm park several times a year to launch my kayak. The park has a locking gate with a combination lock. When I had used the park during the summer, I wrote down the combination and kept it in my car. When I visited again yesterday morning, I tried the previous combination and found it would not work. I was able to get the revised combination by getting onto the Recreation and Parks website via my cell phone. However, not all potential users will have that capability. This is not the first time I have had this experience.

I offer the following suggestions as ways to help users keep up with combination changes:

1) Keep an email distribution list of all persons who have previously requested a combination. When you make a change, send an email to those persons letting them know the new combination.

2) Follow a specific schedule for changing the combination. For example, change once per quarter, once per month, or on some other published schedule. That would allow users to get the most current combination before leaving home.

Thank you for considering this suggestion."

Today I received a reply from Dawn Thomas:

"Thank you for your interest in Homeport Farm Park and our gated parks program. This program allows us to protect these unstaffed parks from potential unwanted activities like dumping while also allowing convenient access for park users. These instructions are on our website and at the parks via signage. By requesting the combination it helps us gauge the level of activity at these sites. We want you to request the combination for each visit so we understand how much use there is. We change these combinations routinely, but don't announce when as that defeats our purpose to have you get the combination each time. Thank you for your understanding and we hope you continue to enjoy Homeport Farm Park and all it has to offer."

Although I understand some of the rationale for following the combination change policy, I don't like it. The take-away lesson is that it makes sense to visit the Department's website prior to each visit there in order to get the latest combination.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Agree 100% John. Thanks for contacting them about the issue.

Comment

Dawn's reply is consistent with I had learned from the Chesapeake Paddlers Association (CPA). The county does indeed use combination requests as metric of traffic at unstaffed parks. The CPA reminds its members of this fact and encourages them to request the combination for each visit. Their concern is demonstrating adequate demand to county officials to keep the unstaffed parks open. As you may know, AA County Parks and Recreation walks a fine line with some of the neighborhoods where these parks reside. So it's good to show county officials that we like and use the facilities they have provided. And of course, it's important for us to follow posted parking and loading zone regulations and to respect neighboring properties when we visit these parks.

On a related note, there has been a change in policy at Downs' Park in Pasadena which is staffed. Upon entry, the gate official will ask you if you have kayaked there before. If your answer is "no" he or she will ask you to fill out a card with your name, phone number, vehicle license number and your intended destination on the water. If you have kayaked there before, you do not have to fill out the card. And that is the change. You used to have to complete a card regardless of how many times you had visited. Now, you have to do so only during your first.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

^ Conversely, every time I visit Ft. Smalwood, its a standardized questionnaire from the booth attendant - Name / Cell Number / Kayak or Canoe / Vehicle Identifier / License Plate. All data is written down on their 8.5x14 or 11x17 clipboard spreadsheet. Very well organized.
        Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Hey .......... you got free access to places you wouldn’t normally have access. Don’t bitch ....... be happy. I like their idea ...... it serves their purposes and it just takes a minute to get the combo from your smart phone.

Comment

Is there a list of car-top launches with locked gates?

(i'm assuming if I tell a friend and they drive 2+ hours to a launchsite they had no idea was gated / locked, they would be a little pissed off)

Comment

Michael,

This site lists Anne Arundel County's cartop launches:

https://www.aacounty.org/services-an...op-boat-launch

Detailed directions with access information is presented for each site.

Those on the list that are gated with a combination lock are:

Homeport Farm

Mayo Beach

Spriggs Farm

Wootons Landing
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Comment

Boy, I’m glad I live in St Mary’s where we don’t have to deal with locks and can launch at dawn if we want to. I feel for you guys.
                Mike
                Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post

Wootons Landing
                  I have never heard of this place, and i've lived in AA Co 30+ years. Looks like it's a feeder into Jug Bay, which is on my bucket list for sneks.

Learn something new every day, glad I asked!

Comment

Mike,

Note that only 4 of the 20 sites require the relatively easy task of dealing with a combination lock.

County sites like Jonas Green and Ft. Smallwood among others provide for daybreak launches.

For the most part I think the kayak fishing community here is very pleased with the county for providing so many launches into varied waters that were largely inaccessible to us not that long ago. Further, I'm glad that the sites are either staffed or patrolled for security purposes.

That said, I do wish we had the opportunities for specks and reds that you enjoy.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
                      Boy, I’m glad I live in St Mary’s where we don’t have to deal with locks and can launch at dawn if we want to. I feel for you guys.
                      +1 Big Mike That's why I hang out down South with you and Ron. And they provided up to date clean Jiffy John's Down South

Yak67

2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
                      Last edited by Yak67; 09-18-2018, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Even the relatively new launch site in Discovery Village Kayak and Canoe Launch in Shady Side Maryland. It provides you access to the West River. It also has a gate that is open from sun up to sun down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsbBuZyUSTg
                        MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
                        2016 Hobie Outback LE
                        Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
                        https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Originally posted by Yak67 View Post
                          +1 Big Mike That's why I hang out down South with you and Ron. And they provided up to date clean Jiffy John's Down South

Yak67

2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
                          The dirty jokes and comraderie are also better down south, must be that Southern Hospitality

Comment

Working...
                          X