Where's the Stripers at? Checked a few areas, only got some small ones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where's the Stripers at? Checked a few areas, only got some small ones

So I've the past three week I've been hitting up Armistaed, Smallwood and Downs., Not much luck. At Armistaed I saw them piled up but couldn't get a bite. Smallwood I caught schoolies but nothing over 12-14". Downs didn't get me anything... Went to Smallwood again this weekend, nada. Didn't even marking anything.

Where are they at? What am I doing wrong.?

It's a little early for reliable catches from those areas.

Typically I fish Ft. Smallwood and Downs (Locust Cove launch not the Bay side launch) in the summer and fall. I've never fished Armistead. There are excellent target areas at Smallwood and Downs for both casting and trolling. Time on the water will reveal them to you or a quick study of Navionics charts will show you where structure in shallow water meets deeper water -- a key striper preference. Tides and light also play a role.

However it also became apparent last year that we were chasing fewer stripers than previous years, especially on the western shore. I've read nothing that indicates the striper population has bounced back. Indeed we may be in for tighter catch regulations in future years as fisheries scientists decide how to address what appears to be a genuine decline in stripers.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks. Looks like I picked the wrong time to get into striper fishing... Just bought a new outback and fish finder... Smh

Comment

I made it out to the Patapsaco on Saturday. My plan was to jig up some cats, but to my surprise I found Rock, Yellows, before I found the rock. Not a ton of action, but it was a fun 4 hour trip. IMG_20190406_093802190_BURST001.jpg IMG_20190406_103812760_BURST001.jpg IMG_20190406_110809937.jpg

All were caught using a 1 oz L'l Bunker. As a bonus caught a pic back at the pier/creek on a mepps. Thanks, Dave
        IMG_20190406_184300222_BURST001.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by NattyBoh74 View Post
          Thanks. Looks like I picked the wrong time to get into striper fishing... Just bought a new outback and fish finder... Smh
          I'm in the (almost) same boat as you. Just got a new PA 12, rigged with Garmin 93 Echomap plus, accessories, new fishing gear, trailer etc. If and when I catch a striper it's going to be the most expensive fish ever! That I will promptly release!!

Not to hijack the thread, but anyone finding any striper in the Potomac aside from Fletcher's cove? I tried Marshall Hall, Dogue Creek area Saturday. Not sure if I'm doing it wrong, or they're just not there.

Comment

Originally posted by MonstBlitz View Post
            I'm in the (almost) same boat as you. Just got a new PA 12, rigged with Garmin 93 Echomap plus, accessories, new fishing gear, trailer etc. If and when I catch a striper it's going to be the most expensive fish ever! That I will promptly release!!

Not to hijack the thread, but anyone finding any striper in the Potomac aside from Fletcher's cove? I tried Marshall Hall, Dogue Creek area Saturday. Not sure if I'm doing it wrong, or they're just not there.
            Haha I caught some like I said last weekend well two ago. That broke my outback's cherry ...

Comment

2019 may be a down fishing year- Stripers have been on the decline for sometime...the SMOG crew usually is pretty successful even in lean times, but we mainly release Stripers, so while fun to C&R we don’t have much impact on their numbers...not so with big white perch and Speckled Trout...they go home with us...hopefully this year we will get a few legal flounders as well...looking forward to the Red Fish coming back
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                2019 may be a down fishing year- Stripers have been on the decline for sometime...the SMOG crew usually is pretty successful even in lean times, but we mainly release Stripers, so while fun to C&R we don’t have much impact on their numbers...not so with big white perch and Speckled Trout...they go home with us...hopefully this year we will get a few legal flounders as well...looking forward to the Red Fish coming back
                any tips on how to pick around the bones in trout? I never realized how many there are lol

Comment

Originally posted by NattyBoh74 View Post
                  any tips on how to pick around the bones in trout? I never realized how many there are lol
                  Ah yes. Pin bones. I tend to cook my trout whole, then de bone after cooking. I pinch the back bone and gently pull the meat away from the back bone. 9 times out of 10 the meat will pull off and leave the bones on the backbone. It takes a little practice but you should get the hang of it quickly. Not 100% effective but the most effective way I’ve found.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Annapolis
                  2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110
                  Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 - For when the fish aren't biting

Comment

Originally posted by CarsonNash View Post
                    Ah yes. Pin bones. I tend to cook my trout whole, then de bone after cooking. I pinch the back bone and gently pull the meat away from the back bone. 9 times out of 10 the meat will pull off and leave the bones on the backbone. It takes a little practice but you should get the hang of it quickly. Not 100% effective but the most effective way I’ve found.

Thanks! Makes sense...

Comment

Speckled Trout are not especially bony...sort of like a croaker...I usually scale and filet them (both croakers and trout...the difference is I always skin Croakers but not specks...gotta be careful cooking specks...very delicate fish, but really good if prepared right...
                      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                        Speckled Trout are not especially bony...sort of like a croaker...I usually scale and filet them (both croakers and trout...the difference is I always skin Croakers but not specks...gotta be careful cooking specks...very delicate fish, but really good if prepared right...
                        Croakers to me are the unsung hero of lower bay and ocean fishing. They fight wayyy above their weight (makes sense considering how closely related to red drum they are) and they taste pretty decent too. They also make great bait for larger striper, blues, etc. Tough to catch a small fish if you're live-lining croaker, since the min size for them is 8".

Comment

I'd love to see a resurgence in the croaker population in the bay. For the reasons you listed, they're one of my favorite to catch, and they taste pretty good too. I might make some special trips down south to target them this summer.
                          Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Originally posted by CarsonNash View Post

This is how I cook most of my fish. Unless it is a big tuna that I make steaks from, all the smaller fish get cooked whole and the meat lifted off the bone on the plate. It really works well and there is less chance of leaving a small bone that may ruin your whole day.
                            John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                            MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                            Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Working...
                            X