Other brands of pedal kayaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other brands of pedal kayaks

Many of the members on this board are fervent Hobie fans -- and for good reasons. The Hobie pedal drive kayaks are excellent products. However, I am aware that at least one other company makes a pedal-drive kayak -- Native Watercraft. One of my two kayaks is a Native Manta Ray -- also an excellent product.

Native makes two models that have a pedal-drive unit. Whereas the Hobie has a back-and-forth pedaling motion and uses elongated fins for propulsion, the Native unit is pedaled like a bicycle, and the propulsion comes from a propellor like the one on an outboard motor.

When I fished with kayak fishing guide Cory Routh, he used a Native pedal drive that day. Other than that, I have never seen one in use or heard of other MKF members who have one. If any of you have experience with the Native pedal-drive products or know of other pedal-drive models made by different companies, please reply.

I am not looking to buy one, but am curious why Hobie is so popular and other brands are less so.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

I have read reviews about the native propel and it has one advantage over the Hobie. It goes in reverse but the Hobie drive is more efficient. This is all second hand information though because i have not peddled either one.

Comment

I haven't tried either one but the native pedal drive just looks very uncomfortable to me from just seeing the videos on them.

From being fully stretched out to knees in your chest and feet almost eye level when pedaling.

The hobie drive looks much more comfortable.
      2013 PRO ANGLER 12
      2013 Cuda 12

Comment

I have had four knee operations-2 on each knee- I was worried about my knees peddling the Outback- the stair stepper motion of the Hobie Mirage Drive does not hurt my knees, but a bycycle peddling motion does. The combination of motion and the angle of the seat has an added bonus- no numb butt!
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

The hobies are also very good at shedding off weeds, where the prop may tend to gather them. It depends on where you fish if you're worried about that. The ability to go backwards would be really nice.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
          Alan

Comment

On Hobie, fins will lay against bottom of hull so you can go into shallow water, not sure a propellar can collapse or if you have to remove in shallow water?

Comment

Originally posted by eastonkayaker View Post
              On Hobie, fins will lay against bottom of hull so you can go into shallow water, not sure a propellar can collapse or if you have to remove in shallow water?
              I did not realize that. The Native propeller unit must be lifted up to navigate in shallow water.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Hobie pushes ALOT of water on each stroke ...... it gives the efficiency of a swimming penguin ....... and is less stressful than walking ........ more efficient than a propeller .......... amazing example of thinking outside the box ........

Comment

Hobie pushes ALOT of water on each stroke ...... it gives the efficiency of a swimming penguin ....... and is less stressful than walking ........ more efficient than a propeller .......... amazing example of thinking outside the box ........

Comment

Working...
                  X