Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not trying to be flippant but the thought dawns on me Corvid 19 could save fisheries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not trying to be flippant but the thought dawns on me Corvid 19 could save fisheries

Think about the HUGE drop in demand for seafood at restaurants etc... The commercial guys have to be taking a disproportionate pounding on this. Guessing the fresh seafood market is all but gone right now and doubtful it comes back for at least another 6 months. That gives a full breeding season for pretty much everything that swims with minimal pressure other than some limited commercial and recreational catches but you gotta figure even rec fishing will be WAY down the next 6 months at least. The counter is what happens after this passes and demand comes back up? Do regulators ease restrictions and try to encourage bigger catches to restore the industries or do we let them die and never come back? Either way I think a near term bounce in fish stocks is going to happen but how it ultimately ends up will be the question. It may be a good opportunity though to regain some balance in the environment if looking for a positive in this whole mess though.

Here is hoping for better less stressful days for all and lots of tight lines for all in the future.

Actually, I see the opposite happening. Businesses will be closed and more people will be at home so you will probably see more people fishing. You are away from crowds and doing something you like. I also think people will keep more fish with the grocery shortages. Commercial fishermen will continue and the distributors will either freeze the fish or find a market other than grocery stores.

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
      Actually, I see the opposite happening. Businesses will be closed and more people will be at home so you will probably see more people fishing. You are away from crowds and doing something you like. I also think people will keep more fish with the grocery shortages. Commercial fishermen will continue and the distributors will either freeze the fish or find a market other than grocery stores.
      I see your point and could throw in poaching may increase big time as well which would not be helpful at all. My general counter though is who is going to go on the charters and with what money? Pretty much everyone I know has gotten hammered by the stock market. Most I know are down 30% or more on retirement funds. That money will take years to come back in all likilehood. Most analysts are predicting at least 2 quarters of STEEP recession (5% contraction). That means no charter fishing, limited boating/leisure, limited visits to restaurants, limited splurges on $15 to $20/lb striped bass filets at Wegmans or wherever etc... etc.. for at least this summer. The comms may keep catching for a limited time but the industry hit from lower restaurant purchases and grocery store purchases along with the reduction in recreational splurges (charters) will be very real.

Comment

If there is quota available the comms will attempt to catch it. Even if the $ / lb drops due to demand, they will go after it.
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bluefishnc View Post
          I see your point and could throw in poaching may increase big time as well which would not be helpful at all. My general counter though is who is going to go on the charters and with what money? Pretty much everyone I know has gotten hammered by the stock market. Most I know are down 30% or more on retirement funds. That money will take years to come back in all likilehood. Most analysts are predicting at least 2 quarters of STEEP recession (5% contraction). That means no charter fishing, limited boating/leisure, limited visits to restaurants, limited splurges on $15 to $20/lb striped bass filets at Wegmans or wherever etc... etc.. for at least this summer. The comms may keep catching for a limited time but the industry hit from lower restaurant purchases and grocery store purchases along with the reduction in recreational splurges (charters) will be very real.
          So true but most people fish from shore or small boats/yaks and that should increase especially with schools closed and businesses. People will probably keep more too.

Comment

I was going to start a new thread,, but this one popped up.
            HOLY CRAP!! has the DNR quadrupled the # lic sold??
            Last year I noticed an uptick of about 20% of the # of people at a particular Pax river public fishing pier.
            Now this is not a prime spot,, sewage treatment plants upstream and down, muddy 100% of the time, cat fish is about all that is to be had.
            During white perch run you may see 4-5 cars weekday,6-10 weekend. After the white perch run, you are luck to see 1-2 cars there.
            Last year it was 10+ cars all summer.
            Currently, there is 30+ cars,,
            Even before the "Cov-19" it was packed on warmer days in beginning of March.

So what the heck is going on??
            This really ramped up last year,, this was a spot that 2 years ago on a week day it was yours alone, and weekend (out side of WP run) maybe 2-3 cars.
            Captian of the plastic Navy
            1 - Mad River Canoes
            1- Tarpon 120
            1- Redfish 10
            1- Coosa HD
            2- Cuda 12
            1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

^^^^^
              No idea on that particular area, but it seems that any park that is still open is being loaded with tons of people who just want to get outside. It nice to see families taking advantage of the outdoors. Who knows, some of these whippersnappers might put down their phones and pick up a rod.
              Jay

10' Green Slayer
              13’ Red Slayer

Comment

Originally posted by Slackdaddy View Post
                I was going to start a new thread,, but this one popped up.
                HOLY CRAP!! has the DNR quadrupled the # lic sold??
                Last year I noticed an uptick of about 20% of the # of people at a particular Pax river public fishing pier.
                Now this is not a prime spot,, sewage treatment plants upstream and down, muddy 100% of the time, cat fish is about all that is to be had.
                During white perch run you may see 4-5 cars weekday,6-10 weekend. After the white perch run, you are luck to see 1-2 cars there.
                Last year it was 10+ cars all summer.
                Currently, there is 30+ cars,,
                Even before the "Cov-19" it was packed on warmer days in beginning of March.

So what the heck is going on??
                This really ramped up last year,, this was a spot that 2 years ago on a week day it was yours alone, and weekend (out side of WP run) maybe 2-3 cars.
                I noticed my perch spot was a little more crowded then usual. I think people posting on facebook and instagram are alerting a lot of people to spots they never would have found. I observed many calls be answered and reports being given.
                Green Old Town Loon 111
                Vibe Sea Ghost 110 - TeamGreen

Comment

Working...
                X