Peddle vs trolling motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peddle vs trolling motor?

I am still working on my trolling motor set up (proto type) on my Coosa HD.
    Wife and I paddled against the tide 1/2 mile on the PAX to get to a fishing spot Saturday evening,, tide was moving through.
    If we even missed a stroke or 2 we would not gain any ground, mis 3-4 strokes and we were moving backwards.

So I need to wrap up my trolling motor mount,, but was curious.
    I will probably get the Wife a Lure 11.5 soon,,, I had thought I would mount a trolling motor for her,, but am also thinking about the Lure "Overdrive" peddle system instead.

Has anyone used both a trolling motor and a peddle drive on their kayak? (not at the same time).
    we would typically be going max 2 miles (each way) possibly against the tide,, just curious if this is feasible with just peddles ?

Any words of wisdom ?
    Captian of the plastic Navy
    1 - Mad River Canoes
    1- Tarpon 120
    1- Redfish 10
    1- Coosa HD
    2- Cuda 12
    1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

I only peddle...and have logged more than 9 miles on my GPS...it is rare that I don’t peddle at least a mile or two from the launch to the fishing location...and it is equally rare that I don’t fight wind and tidal flow coming and going...a typical trip is a minimum of four miles and three to four hours..not bad for a 74 year old man...
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 08-03-2020, 06:17 PM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Ron,
      Thanks for the remarks.
      So 2 miles against the tide (each way) should not be anything for a young wippersnapper like me (55)
      What type of MPH are you seeing while peddling (no tide or wind)?

Slack

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
      I only peddle...and have logged more than 9 miles on my GPS...it is rare that I don’t peddle at least a mile or two from the launch to the fishing location...and it is equally rare that I don’t fight wind and tidal flow coming and going...a typical trip is a minimum of four miles and three to four hours..not bad for a 74 year old man...
      1 - Mad River Canoes
      1- Tarpon 120
      1- Redfish 10
      1- Coosa HD
      2- Cuda 12
      1- Slayer Propel 10

Comment

With my Outback against strong tidal flow and wind I can maintain 2 mph...with normal conditions, It is easy to maintain 3 mph, but I usually slow it down to 2.4 mph to troll paddletail lures...if if is necessary I can up tempo to 4 mph but that is for sprints...ten minute sprints...getting out of the way of boats, out of busy waterways, etc. the easy walking tempo is 3 mph...

Comment

More good info, thanks.

Another observation (long winded question):
          Looking at wide stable kayaks for the wife. she is using a Cuda 12 at 31" width, it is "OK" but she is not standing in it.
          My Coosa HD at 34" width is much more stable, no problem standing, swinging around grabbing stuff out of the back, pulling crab traps, etc,,,, Trying that in the Cuda will dunk you if not very careful about center of gravity.

Of course gaining stability means it paddles like a pig,, hence peddles or trolling motor.

One thing she definitely wants is an open deck in front of the seat. We are looking at the Lure 11.5 because while it does have the "pod" that you can drop peddles in,, it STILL has a large deck area in front of the seat.

So my question: I see that peddles are pulled in the "UP" position when not in use,, it looks like they are in your way, taking up all your deck space??
          Thoughts on that ??
          1 - Mad River Canoes
          1- Tarpon 120
          1- Redfish 10
          1- Coosa HD
          2- Cuda 12
          1- Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Coming from a Jackson cuda and now recently obtaining a 2020 Old Town predator PDL, I will say stability and maintaining speed in the predator made it worth every penny. The design of the predator makes it cut through the water with ease and I can easily hold 3.5 - 4mph all day. So much so that trolling lures was effortless and I actually had to watch my speed to make sure I was going slow enough. Even with the peddle drive I have plenty of deck space.

I never felt comfortable standing in the cuda but I can confidently stand and cast in the predator. Not only that but I was bending down and making slight position adjustments by hand on the peddles and never felt unstable.

I also bought the "plug" for where the peddle drive goes for when I start taking my son out so the deck is completely flat and custom built a seat that mounts where the peddle drive goes. I admit the kayak is on the heavy side compared to others I have owned but the few extra minutes loading/unloading is far outweighed by the hours on the water with speed,stability,storage, and deck space.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
            Last edited by dtandrade; 08-04-2020, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Yep, Hobie guys have that very same discussion that the Revo/Outback owners have with the PA barge owners...sure it weighs 600 pounds and you need a ez loader trailer to haul it, but boy is it roomy and stable...but it is all good...whatever turns your propeller...

Comment

Yep, Hobie guys have that very same discussion that the Revo/Outback owners have with the PA barge owners...sure it weighs 600 pounds and you need a ez loader trailer to haul it, but boy is it roomy and stable...but it is all good...whatever turns your propeller...
                I had a PA12 for awhile and that was a barge. Having gone through all the kayaks I have, to me the predator seems to be an all around great option in terms of speed, stability, and storage.

Comment

LOL,,
                  Weight is the other BIG factor.
                  The county installed a state of the art kayak launch at the end of our street (90% of our kayaking is from there)
                  They could not have conceived a more convoluted pain in the ass launch if they had NASA design it. It is an absolute regiment of lifting, carrying over, swinging around, lift out, etc.
                  My Coosa HD at 85# (with seat) is MAX I can manhandle through the obstacle course alone, and near the MAX the wife and sister could launch with the 2 of them.

We are looking at the Lure 11.5 and 2nd the Slayer Propel. The Lure 11.5 I have seen listed as 75# and 84# (non pedal),, the Slayer is 87# without seat.

If I went trolling motor over peddle, it would completely clear the deck area out. But add the complexity of motor, controller, battery, etc.

Oh the 1st world problems, to many decisions
                  1 - Mad River Canoes
                  1- Tarpon 120
                  1- Redfish 10
                  1- Coosa HD
                  2- Cuda 12
                  1- Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Here is another pedal option, although it might be hard to get it to your launch.

https://www.facebook.com/chris.hipgr...9476972506653/

Seriously, you are faced with the impossible dilemma of trying to find the perfect kayak. It does not exist. Different kayaks are optimized for different activities, and each user has his/her own set of important criteria. You can find a kayak or boat that meets many of your criteria -- perhaps more of your criteria than the kayak you are currently using. Good luck in your search.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis
                    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post

Seriously, you are faced with the impossible dilemma of trying to find the perfect kayak. It does not exist...
                      Very true. That's why so many of us on this forum paddle/pedal more than one kind of kayak.

I liken it to fishing rods. They're application specific. Very few of us fish with only one rod, even one a single outing.
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

The Coosa HD is my Mountain river fishing/camping kayak: tons of internal storage forward and aft, 4 protected horz rod holders, stable and good in class 3 water.

My current kayak search is for a boat for the middle/upper tidal Patuxent (for the wife)
                        NEEDS: Under 90# (without gear), stable (at least 34" wide), option for seamless peddle or power drive (have not decided yet), easily adjusted-all day seat,
                        WANTS: clear deck area infront of the seat, small easily accessible dryhatch storage, decent horz rod parking.

The Lure 11.5 looks really good,, but apprehensive that maybe the peddle drive is not as refined as the "Made in USA" ones??
                        The Slayer looks good, the "Pod" eats up more deck area than the Lure 11.5, and the seat is not as easy as the Lure.

The Search is still on

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                        Here is another pedal option, although it might be hard to get it to your launch.

https://www.facebook.com/chris.hipgr...9476972506653/

Seriously, you are faced with the impossible dilemma of trying to find the perfect kayak. It does not exist. Different kayaks are optimized for different activities, and each user has his/her own set of important criteria. You can find a kayak or boat that meets many of your criteria -- perhaps more of your criteria than the kayak you are currently using. Good luck in your search.
                        1 - Mad River Canoes
                        1- Tarpon 120
                        1- Redfish 10
                        1- Coosa HD
                        2- Cuda 12
                        1- Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Hey Ron ......... the Pa 14 weighs 140 lbs and not 600. The weight capacity is 600 lbs. I have a PU truck with a hitch extender. I am 69 overweight and don’t exercise and I can load it. You do not need a trailer for it. That said ...... it is a barge but it has a bunch of room as you said. I have also been in the same situation as Slackdaddy using the pedals and mirage drive. That’s why I got the engines. Keeps me from getting a heart attack from exertion.

Comment

Originally posted by Slackdaddy View Post
                            The Coosa HD is my Mountain river fishing/camping kayak: tons of internal storage forward and aft, 4 protected horz rod holders, stable and good in class 3 water.

My current kayak search is for a boat for the middle/upper tidal Patuxent (for the wife)
                            NEEDS: Under 90# (without gear), stable (at least 34" wide), option for seamless peddle or power drive (have not decided yet), easily adjusted-all day seat,
                            WANTS: clear deck area infront of the seat, small easily accessible dryhatch storage, decent horz rod parking.

The Lure 11.5 looks really good,, but apprehensive that maybe the peddle drive is not as refined as the "Made in USA" ones??
                            The Slayer looks good, the "Pod" eats up more deck area than the Lure 11.5, and the seat is not as easy as the Lure.

The Search is still on
                            Based on that you may want to find a paddle kayak that fits all your criteria and maybe add a light weight bixpy to it. Seems like you would get most of what you need. The bixpy battery takes up minimal space and the combined weight of all the components is minimal. You keep your deck space and storage and have a motor that can either aid on those trips back or do all the work if you need it too.

Comment

I had not given the Bixpy consideration,, but it looks like it may be the "Missing Link"
                              I was just about to look for a smaller, lighter, brushless trolling motor.

Now if the Kayak market would calm down and supply of new and used would come back.

EDIT:
                              ---------------------------------------------
                              Looked at Bixpy,, Don't like that they really do not give much tech info. Brushed or brushless ?? Thrust? amp draw per thrust? voltage of motor?
                              I like the size, but not the Proprietary battery. It looks like a system for folks that dont own a soldering gun
                              Search continues

Originally posted by dtandrade View Post
                              Based on that you may want to find a paddle kayak that fits all your criteria and maybe add a light weight bixpy to it. Seems like you would get most of what you need. The bixpy battery takes up minimal space and the combined weight of all the components is minimal. You keep your deck space and storage and have a motor that can either aid on those trips back or do all the work if you need it too.

Last edited by Slackdaddy; 08-04-2020, 04:32 PM.
                              1 - Mad River Canoes
                              1- Tarpon 120
                              1- Redfish 10
                              1- Coosa HD
                              2- Cuda 12
                              1- Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Working...
                              X