Sunglasses fogging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunglasses fogging

I wear a Buff/neck gaiter/face shield year round. In the warm months it is for sun protection, and in the cold months it also helps keep my face warm. I prefer to use brands that have a mesh patch in the front to help release exhalations while minimizing fogging. I also wear Costa polarized glass sunglasses.

2019-06-27 05.jpg

I struggle to keep the glasses free from fog. On particularly humid summer mornings, the glass fogs up quickly and stays fogged. During the winter, my warm exhalations quickly fog the glass that is close to ambient air temperature. If the wind is blowing, this is less of a problem. But on calm days, the fogging is a real annoyance.

I pose the question to this group -- Do you have any solutions for mitigating fogging of sunglasses while wearing a facial shield?
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

I wear my sunglasses on top of my face covering and it seems to still happen, but less then when I have my face covering pulled over my glasses as you have in your picture. I also wear a wide brimmed hat so that I dont have to pull the buff so high. Another trick Ive used, mostly on the super humid summer mornings, is to keep my sunglasses out of the AC. If I dont, condensation forms no matter what. On really bright days, the only way around it is for me to breathe out of my mouth with puckered lips like Im trying to blow out a candle, so that there is less airflow to the glasses. If the sun isnt too bad, I can slide the sunglasses down my nose so that there is more airflow between face and glasses.

I havent found a one-size-fits-all solution, but usually manage to figure something out when needed. I also use a 15 yr old pair of Oakley frames with aftermarket glass polarized vented lenses. Its mostly gimmick, but it does provide a hair more air circulation. I think they were originally designed for cyclists.
    "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
    Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

I do wear shades while fishing but not a covering. So I don’t have fogging issues. But I think the best solution is making sure the lens are really clean. Try cleaning with soapy water. I hear the soapy water leaves a film on the lens that acts like a fog barrier.

Comment

I like the Pelagic Sunshield Pro gaiter, it has side neck vents as well as a large nose and mouth vent. The side vents help keep you cooler and also seem to pull some air as you breathe. I wear it up close to my eyes with one fold down on the top, and sit my Costa’s on top. Zeiss also makes an anti fog spray that works pretty well, you should be able to find some at your optometrist. Ski shops are also a good source for anti fog agents as it is even more of an issue skiing than fishing.

Comment

What an annoying issue indeed... same thing happens with my prescription glasses and wearing masks in public.

Everything I do to mitigate the issue has already been mentioned... put the glasses over the edge of the covering can help a little, breathing gently through the mouth helps the most but can be a little uncomfortable and seems to dehydrate me faster in the heat. Wearing a hooded UPF shirt with a ball cap usually shades my face enough that I can get away with pulling the gaiter down below my nostrils which eliminates the problem entirely. Wide brim hat should do the trick too if you don't like a hooded shirt.

I've heard of the anti-fog sprays you can apply to lenses but never used one. I always assumed they were just snakeoil but if they actually do work well I might look into acquiring some.
          Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
          2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

John,

when I used to snorkel a lot we would keep a small container of dish soap to prevent fogging in the mask and I believe a small amount of baby shampoo mixed with water works too. There are some commercial sprays out there that work as well.
            J

Comment

Just one more thought to share. Having dealt with high-end optics my entire life as a commercial photographer, a word of caution concerning anti fog agents. Please make sure the product specifies that it is safe for use on coated lens. Many coatings on glass lens and optics are delicate and easily damaged. If you aren’t sure, test on a edge or corner out of the main field of vision first.

Comment

Originally posted by Hemingway View Post
                Just one more thought to share. Having dealt with high-end optics my entire life as a commercial photographer, a word of caution concerning anti fog agents. Please make sure the product specifies that it is safe for use on coated lens. Many coatings on glass lens and optics are delicate and easily damaged. If you aren’t sure, test on a edge or corner out of the main field of vision first.

Gary - Thanks for that advice. I have had the same concerns that have kept me from trying the commercial anti-fog solutions. I wash my sunglasses with soap and water after each trip then dry them with a towel.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                X