Changes at Tucker Street Ramp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes at Tucker Street Ramp

This morning the Annapolis Capitol paper printed the article shown below. Few details are included, and I do not know when it becomes effective. It sounds like those who launch using the actual gravel ramp may face additional restrictions. I typically launch over the grass and sand next to the fence. Stay tuned for more information.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Annapolis City Council approves Tucker Street boat ramp regulations

The Annapolis City Council approved new regulations Monday for using the Tucker Street boat ramp and passed a measure that will let city departments formally issue internal rules for the first time in 15 years.

By a vote of 7-2, the council approved O-5-21 and a handful of amendments allowing only Annapolis and Anne Arundel residents to access the Tucker Street Boat ramp with an approved permit. The adjacent beach will still be open to anyone without a permit.

Alderman Fred Paone, R-Ward 2, the co-sponsor of the bill and the representative of the area, introduced the legislation following complaints by residents that the small boat launch meant for city residents was being used predominantly by outside visitors to put in their boats for free. There were other complaints about parked cars blocking the small launch located on a residential road with little parking.

The effort to regulate who can use the launch isn’t a “profit-making venture,” Paone said, but rather to ensure city residents were the ones who benefited from the amenity. An amendment was later approved to expand the access to Anne Arundel residents.

“It simply pays us back for some of the money we’ve spent to allow people to launch their boats,” Paone said."

Another amendment was approved that requires a launch permit to be visible at all times. The Harbormaster’s Office will administer the permits under the new law.

An annual boat trailer permit for the Tucker Street launch is currently $25, according to the city’s proposed fiscal 2022 fee schedule.

Aldermen Ross Arnett, D-Ward 8, and DaJuan Gay, D-Ward 6, opposed the ordinance. Arnett said he was not comfortable limiting water access after championing expanding public access in certain places in his ward. Gay voted no after suggesting the council increase the cost of a permit for out-of-state tourists to help add to city coffers.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

The question I would have is how do they know that the vast majority of users aren’t from the city or county? I feel for you guys up there, they really don’t like folks having water access.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

John,
      I checked with my alderman-Fred Paone, and if you launch your kayak out of a truck, or off a car roof you do not need a permit. Think they were having problems with folks using trailers. As you know there isn’t a lot of parking space along the homes. Hopefully he is correct!
      John Rentch
      Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
      Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

I am curious to see how this new rule is rolled out. I will keep an eye out for revised signage the next few times I launch there.

I do have some sympathy for the residents on that narrow dead-end street. The noise and congestion of frequent boat launches (at times, pre-dawn) so close to the houses must be frustrating. Parking is an issue, especially when a vehicle and trailer take up 2 to 3 slots.
        John Veil
        Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

The Tucker Street Launch is technically not part of the Anne Arundel County Cartop Boat Launch effort. It belongs to the city of Annapolis. Further, it has been stated online for years and with a sign onsite that the launch is for city of Annapolis residents only. I used to worry about launching there because I am not a city resident. But no one ever quizzed me. Also, for as long as I can remember, online information about the site has stated that trailers need parking permits and that they could be purchased for $25. I recall nothing being said online about cartop launching. It's actually good that the use of the site by those of us without trailers has been clarified by this action and it has been stated that all Anne Arundel residents can use the ramp -- although again, kind of a lame requirement in terms of enforcement.

It seems to me that the city is simply enforcing longstanding regulations about the site and clarifying that cartoppers can use the adjoining beach. (Which is also pointless since the beach is immediately located on both sides of the ramp. I will still use the ramp if no one is on it. It's an easier way for me to launch via the ramp because I don't have to jump the curb on Tucker Street with my gear.)

My guess is that this has happened because during the pandemic with more people fishing and boating, some ramp users were blocking neighbor driveways. Parking is street side only and very limited there. On one of my last visits to Tucker I waited a long time for a person with a larger truck, trailer and boat than normal to launch before I could even get close to the water. When I saw that, I thought that we were headed for trouble if users like that frequent the ramp.

Many times when we have posted about Tucker Street on Snaggedline we have reminded users to be respectful of the neighbors -- to be quiet during early morning launches, to not leave trash and to not block their driveways with your vehicles. They have been good people and very patient with us. Also friendly, often asking us about our fishing success. To be honest, the neighbors have been incredibly tolerant, more so than neighbors at some of the roomier cartop sites authorized by the county.

So, I hope this story is the end of it and that the neighbors get some relief by the "new" regs and that the site indeed remains open to those of us with plastic boats. It's a very good place to launch.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Right on Mr. Mark.
            I came across that article the other day also. The tucker street ramp is very convenient for me for after work fishing during the week. For fish I go to tucker street, for a paddle/fish I go to Amos Garrett. I try to stay away from any kayak fishing in Annapolis on weekends. Way to much traffic for me specially weems creek. While I do not live in Annapolis I was told just to be mindful of the residents on that street. No parking in front of driveways, take your trash with you. And be RESPECTFUL. I’ve had plenty conversations with some homeowners there and seem to be very nice. One time I pulled up and saw a guy with two jet skis on a trailer revving one of them up really loud. Just hammering on the throttle. Don’t know if he was an Annapolis resident and didn’t ask but I thought that was poor judgement for that location. Like Mr. Mark typed the signs were there. Pandemic traffic may have raised concerns.

Comment

This decision by the city disappoints me. A nearby public school could be a different solution to the parking shortage. The school parking lot is unused in the summer and on weekends. Use the school parking lot for ramp parking when the school is not using it.

The county is stuck on the "oh that's a school parking lot, we can't use it for parking for other uses", the city may be similarly short sighted.

A public school parking lot is a public parking lot and be used for other public uses when the school is not using it.

Lisa

Comment

There are about 2 dozen pull-in parking spots (diagonal to the street) along Tucker Street in front of the school. I have parked there on occasion when school is out of session and there is no room along the street near the ramp. It's a bit of a walk back to the water but worth it for the convenience of the launch.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                  There are about 2 dozen pull-in parking spots (diagonal to the street) along Tucker Street in front of the school. I have parked there on occasion when school is out of session and there is no room along the street near the ramp. It's a bit of a walk back to the water but worth it for the convenience of the launch.
                  Thanks Mark, I've only been to the Tucker Street ramp once. Are the diagonal spots big enough for a truck w/ boat trailer?

Lisa

Comment

I want to correct some misconceptions about parking at or near the West Annapolis Elementary School that is located at the top of the hill from the Tucker St ramp. The school does not have a parking lot as suggested above. Unlike many suburban schools that have acres of land surrounding the buildings, this school is squeezed into one square block in an older, established residential neighborhood. There is limited street parking on three sides and diagonal spaces on the fourth side, as Mark noted. Those diagonal spaces can easily accommodate a car, truck, or minivan, but are not long enough for a tow vehicle plus trailer.

west annap elem school.jpg

When I launch at Tucker St (normally on week days), I can almost always find a space going up the hill on the side of the street where parking is allowed (watch the colored curbs and signs for guidance). Occasionally, there are enough vehicles there (whether from launches, residents, lawn-care or handyman trucks serving residents, etc) that I need to park at the top of the hill on one of the streets.

West Annapolis is primarily a residential area. The few larger parking areas are associated with individual businesses or at the shopping center. They are not intended for public trailer parking, whether during weekdays or on a weekend. The Tucker Street ramp is a treasure for cartop boat launching as it puts users into the sheltered waters of Weems Creek with easy access to the main Severn. It is owned by the City of Annapolis, not the county.

While I fully support increased water access in our county, I do not believe that all locations need to provide equal access for any type of vehicle, including trailered vehicles.
                    Last edited by J.A. Veil; 05-08-2021, 08:58 AM.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis

Comment

[QUOTE=J.A. Veil;172014]I want to correct some misconceptions about parking at or near the West Annapolis Elementary School that is located at the top of the hill from the Tucker St ramp. The school does not have a parking lot as suggested above. Unlike many suburban schools that have acres of land surrounding the buildings, this school is squeezed into one square block in an older, established residential neighborhood. There is limited street parking on three sides and diagonal spaces on the fourth side, as Mark noted. Those diagonal spaces can easily accommodate a car, truck, or minivan, but are not long enough for a tow vehicle plus trailer. <snip>

Thanks for the correction, John. I must be remembering a different school, one with a parking lot.

Lisa

Comment

Keep an eye on the Annapolis Recreational Advisory Board meetings for discussion of the Tucker Street ramp.

Annapolis Recreational Advisory Board meeting website: https://www.annapolis.gov/AgendaCent...sory-Board-17/

Lisa

Comment

Working...
                        X