Native Seat Risers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Native Seat Risers?

I’ve got a couple Native Slayers and thinking of getting seat risers, but worried they will make me tippy,,,, even before I start drinking.
    Anyone have them?

I know I should just get them and try them, but man, these yak mods are nickel and diming me - $100 for these $1 3D printer items are killing me. They sell a $240 for rudder with another $140 for rudder upgrade string????
    Jay

10' Green Slayer
    13’ Red Slayer

Originally posted by summersoff View Post
    I’ve got a couple Native Slayers and thinking of getting seat risers, but worried they will make me tippy,,,, even before I start drinking.
    Anyone have them?

I know I should just get them and try them, but man, these yak mods are nickel and diming me - $100 for these $1 3D printer items are killing me. They sell a $240 for rudder with another $140 for rudder upgrade string????
    If you're handy/into DIY, you could give this a shot, it looks really easy: https://www.techguyfishing.com/walk-...l-seat-risers/. You could also try to find the files for the 3D model and get them printed yourself, I'm sure there are 3D printing shops that let customers upload files and do custom work. This might be a good start: https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q...&sort=relevant

Originally posted by gshappell
    I know it... I got seat risers for my Hobie for $70 but now that I have them installed they are worth it to me. But still can't believe that price.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    Got a link for the Hobie risers?
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

I know that many Native owners added seat risers. Sitting higher gives slightly better visibility and may make it easier to stand up if you like to fish that way. It may also change the angle between hips, knees, and pedals (for better or for worse). Personally, I never wanted to sit higher, and did not even use the high setting on the high/low seat frame.

Rather than raise the seat frame, consider adding some type of seat cushion on top of the seat. That will raise you up, and is easily adjustable by adding more than one cushion or removing the cushion entirely. Plus you get the added benefit of padding. I have two gel seat pads sold for use on office chairs (the one on the left is a Wondergel, and the other is a Purple). On my older kayak, I use one of them. On the newer kayak with raised seating, I use both (one on top of the other).

2021-01-28-008.jpg
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
        Personally, I never wanted to sit higher, and did not even use the high setting on the high/low seat frame.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28063[/ATTACH]
        What you talking about Willis?!?

Are you telling me there’s a high seat setting?

I’m looking more to add room underneath, but extra visibility is a definite plus. I look into a cushion, I have to look at try the “side seat adjustment lever” . Feeling dumb, especially since I have two of them!
        Jay

10' Green Slayer
        13’ Red Slayer

Comment

Originally posted by summersoff View Post
          What you talking about Willis?!?

Are you telling me there’s a high seat setting?

I’m looking more to add room underneath, but extra visibility is a definite plus. I look into a cushion, I have to look at try the “side seat adjustment lever” . Feeling dumb, especially since I have two of them!
          Looking at your signature block, it appears that you have the Slayer Propel 13. This was the first model of the newer generation of Propel boats that Native offered. I got one of the early ones in December 2013. It does not have high/low seating (the seat bolts to two tracks that allow it to be moved fore and aft). Many of the later models, like the Slayer Max 12.5 and the Titan 12, the Falcon 11, and the Ultimate FX models do include seat bases or hull designs that have two sets of notches molded in for either high or low seating.

I have owned three different Native models with high/low seating and did short tests with the seat in the high position. I did not like it at all, and quickly switched back to the low position. I am larger than most kayakers (6'4" and 240 lbs) and have a higher center of gravity.

2021-05-12-007.jpg 2003-08-03 00-23-13.jpg seat height notches.jpg IMG_20200428_101609.jpg
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
          X