Son's Redear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Son's Redear

My son caught this beast of a Redear at 4yrs old in 09'. I molded and cast a copy of it. The cast sat around for quite some time but finally here it is. He was so surprised to see it today for his birthday. What is most impressive to me is the fish is 13 1/4" long but has a girth of 14". Besides that, three days after my son caught this fish he was diagnosed with diabetes. That's why this fish means so much to me as his dad, not just the trophy value, but that very significance of the day's events.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by new2yaks11; 02-13-2012, 08:56 PM.
    2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

thats awesome! where did you have it done and/or what are the procedures to do this?
    sigpic

Comment

That thing is good eatin! Beautiful too.
      Mike S.
      Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
      3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

That is beautiful work.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

how cool is that?!! awsome

Comment

Very nice Don.
            Chip

Morgantown, PA / Tilghman, MD

Tarpon 120
            Parker 2320

Comment

That's an awesome fish and an excellent mount. It's a cool birthday gift, too.
              Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
              Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Awesome work!!

Comment

OH WOW !!!!!! ........ OH WOW !!!!! ......... that is AWESOME !!!!!!!!

Comment

Stupidjet,

I made a mold of the original fish, and then cast a copy of it. I then installed the eyes and fins and proceeded to finish the fish.
                    2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

That's sick... I'm sure he will never forget that one! Immaculate work!

Comment

Besides being a NICE FISH, I'm sure it has special meaning not just because of the bad news you recieved but because HIS DAD made that sweet mount for him. If I get you a nice trout, could you do a nice mount like that for me too? I have a special piece of Drift Wood waiting for that Trout. Do you do that type of stuff for fun or do you have a business doing it? That is professional quality artwork. Nice job dude!!
                        Tom Brown
                        Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
                        2012 Hobie PA 14'
                        Ocean Kayak Tident 13
                        2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

I appreciate all the nice comments.

Medic, I have only done my own mounts for fun. I am considering getting my taxidermy license some time this year. Want to get a chance to do some work for others.
                          2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

That is an awesome mount!!! I love sunfish mounted.. Makes me want to go catch some redear =)

Meadeo
                            2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

Great detail! Very nice work indeed. Sorry to hear of your son's ailment. Sounds like he has a great support system. That is awesome! Best of luck.

P.S. If taxidermy requires a license (I did not know that)... get it. Might be a nice side job for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X