Jellyfish Deterent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jellyfish Deterent?

This may be an unusual question, but does anyone have any suggestions regarding trying to keep jellyfish away from a person while they are in the water? Our family has had a rough year...my sister is excited at the thought of taking the boat out in a couple months...she is terrified of jellyfish...is there anything that deters them?

Rob - I have heard that if you wear tights while in the water you will be unaffected by any stings. It doesn't deter the jellyfish, but it prevents the stinging barbs from reaching your skin. Any skin not covered (hands, feet, face, etc.) is fair game for getting stung though, obviously.
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

I agree with Dave. I am not aware of any product that chemically prevents or blocks jellyfish stings. In 2011, my family and I were able to do a snorkel trip to the Great Barrier Reef in Australia. Those waters have various types of stinging jellyfish, some of which can give a serious sting. Everyone on the dive trip was provided with a full body suit made of thin stretchy material (they called these "stinger suits") to wear. I attached a photo showing the stinger and shorty wet suits we wore that day.

Australia - Great Barrier Reef 009a.jpg

If you are looking at treatment options rather than prevention options, I used to carry a jar of meat tenderizer powder with me when I would SCUBA dive for oysters in the Chesapeake Bay in the fall. If I got any stings, I would rub the area with meat tenderizer to neutralize the acid nature of the poison.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thank you very much Dave n John :--)

Comment

Pee on the sting if “feasible”. It works…unless it’s a man-o-war

Comment

Originally posted by thomaswsu View Post
            Pee on the sting if “feasible”. It works…unless it’s a man-o-war
            Don't do that.....As someone with 50 years of surfing peeing on a jelly fish sting is a myth, if anything it causes more pain from the sting. Best is if one can see the barbs remove them with tweezers, The hot (not Scalding) water for at least 20 minutes, Then use a topical treatment such as hydrocortisone cream a couple times a day. Salt water will temporarily lessen the pain but doesn't do anything as a treatment.

Comment

Working...
            X