Back Fatigue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back Fatigue

So I have been out in my Malibu Stealth-12 a dozen or so times now and I thought that having the lower back pain afterwards was a normal thing. That was until I went fishing in FL with AnimalPA. Our guide had Native kayaks and i have to say that I did not feel any fatigue after fishing the whole day(6-4). So, now im wondering what the deal is with me/my kayak. I have a Surf to Summit seat, http://www.surftosummit.com/gts-elit...th=283_269_305, which is a nice seat in my mind. Does anyone else have this problem? I know there was one other person on here that has a Malibu that was complaining of lower back pain too, so could it be the position that the kayak is molded and the angle we are sitting at? Anyone have suggestions on ways to make it better?

Thanks Keith
    Keith
    2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

No, not lower back pain, more like my ass goes numb/legs get stiff and I have to reposition. I use an Emotion kayak with a gel seat. I have this tendency to lean back more and lower my center of gravity instead of sitting straight up so maybe that has something to do with it.
    2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

It seems that you have learned first-hand that not all kayaks feel the same when in the seat. It is not only the seat itself, but also includes the shape and angle of the seat well and the footrests. Those things contribute to the dryness of the sitting position too.

My first kayak was an Ocean Kayak Drifter. Even with a nice Surf to Summit tall back seat placed on top of a boat throw cushion, I had about a two hour limit before reaching butt fatigue. Like you, I fished with a guide who put me into a Native -- in my case a Manta Ray 14. It was so much more comfortable than the Drifter -- it doubled my time to butt fatigue. I bought a Manta Ray a few months later and now use it nearly all the time. You may also consider getting a gel-filled pad or seat. I use a Skwoosh seat pad on top of the built in Native seat to add more comfort.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I use a Skwoosh pad on my OC trident and it has increased my yakability three fold.
        John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
        MK Endura Max 55 backup power
        Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Something I found out was to sit Indian style (cross legged) it seemed to take pressure off my but and back. Told my friend to try it and he was amazed that he didn't think of it because he was trying everything. If Indian style isn't an option just tuck one leg under the other and it should be a little more comfortable

Comment

When I had my Ocean Kayaks, I used a Surf N Summit Expedition seat. That resolved much a my problems. Today was the first use of the ProAngler seat. That is really nice. Take a look at the Expedition seat or some use the Skwoosh seats.

Comment

I think if you just go out and catch big fish everytime like the ones you got in FL then you won't feel the pain!
              Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
              Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
              https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Thanks for all the advice guys. I will have to try the sitting indian style thing and see how that works. I would like to try out the expedition seat if anyone has one to borrow.

Unfortunately Redfish, I didn't get to partake in the redfish catching that Animal got. We only found the specks the day I went out with him.
                Keith
                2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

I suffer from back pain even before sitting in a yak seat hours on end... one thing to check is how tight the straps going forward to the bow are tight enough where your back stays in an upright position and you don't find yourself having to lean forward to sit up. You should be able to keep your back against the seat feeling comfortable. I recently purchased a Skwoosh Big Catch AF and man it has helped a ton!!!! The lumbar support allows me to fish for hours on end never worrying about my back hurting when I get off the water and it helps with butt cheek numbness AKA "Kayak cheeks"! LOL

Comment

Working...
                  X