Fish seasons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish seasons

Fall is salt water fishing season- Speckled trout keepers can be had in most locations- Rockfish are getting back into their regular haunts and they are keepers- fall migration starts with the cooling waters and it just keeps getting better and better- this year we have seen an influx of red drum like no other year- fast growing they have reached keeper size and most folks will get their one a day limit pretty easily- 17 inch flounder are still uncommon, but they are around if you know how to flounder fish- big spot (the eating size) are starting their fall run- bigger blue fish are every where in the bay- small to medium size spanish macks are busting schools of bait- trolling spoons work well for them and blues- weather is always the joker in the deck in the fall- the bane of kayak fishing is winds- and it seems anytime you have off to fish it is blowing a gale- don't despair- get out your NOAA maps and plot a fishing trip based on taking advantage of the terrain that blocks winds- there is always some place you can fish no matter how hard the wind is blowing- I have routinely fished in 40 mph winds and filled my stringer-you can't always fish in the Bay with big wind, but coves, creeks, rivers and Islands offer spots sheltered from the winds.

I have been on the road traveling on my job a lot this year and have not fished as much as I want to and there is always family time that cuts into fishing, so balance is a hard thing to find, especially when you get the perfect weekend weather wise and the wife wants to go somewhere as a family...but fall is the golden time for fishing- good luck to all, tight lines and keep upright-
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
Working...
X