Question - Best way to spool superbraided line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question - Best way to spool superbraided line

How do you start the superbraided line on the spool?

Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

http://www.powerpro.com/publish/cont...superline.html

Joe, check out this link. They do a pretty good job explaining it.
    2012 Hobie mirage outfitter (RED)

Comment

Or you can spool regular line for a little bit, then tie the braided line on to that.
      2012 Hobie mirage outfitter (RED)

Comment

Originally posted by YAKQuest View Post
        Or you can spool regular line for a little bit, then tie the braided line on to that.
        I always spool some mono first then the braid. Braid has no stretch and has been known to crack spools when wound too tight usually after some heavy pulling on the line ....... the mono cushions it as well as a non slip surface. Cracking is not a problem with the metal spools.

Comment

How much mono do you put? 1 bar or 2?
          (1) I think I put too much mono. When I am using a small spinning reel I can NOT cast far because the line gets caught on the albright knot (connection between braided and mono backing).
          I felt I put too much mono backing. So I had less Braided line

(2) Perhaps I didn't trimm the end of the mono short enough.

Any suggestions?

joe
          Last edited by ComeOnFish; 12-13-2012, 01:32 PM.
          Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Only use enough mono to just barely cover the spool. Alternatively, you can put a piece of electrical tape on the spool before putting the braid on there.
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I am no expert on this, so I had Angler's spool some nice 20 lb braid on my larger 7 ' surf/casting rod for about $15. They have a special spooling machine there that does it right. The price included the cost of the braided line.

Cost a few bucks more, but it's done right with no worries. If you already have the braided line, take it in and I am sure they'll do it for you for a reasonable price.

Comment

on my baitcasters i just cover the spool with electrical tape and then put the braid over it. On my conventionls i back it up with mono and then braid.
                Hobie Revolution 13
                Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

I used to fill an entire spinning reel spool with braided line. On several occasions I observed the entire mass of line sliding around the spool. I kept cranking the handle but could not gain any ground -- no line was moving in at all. I had to let most of the line out and rewind it making tighter internal wraps this time. It appears to be necessary to keep some tension on the line as you are winding the base layers. Now I put a layer of masking tape on the bare spool then add line. If I have a large capacity spool, I often fill it a third or halfway with mono then attach braided line using a double uni knot. If you don't trim the tags ends of the knot, your line will catch on some casts.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                    How much mono do you put? 1 bar or 2?
                    (1) I think I put too much mono. When I am using a small spinning reel I can NOT cast far because the line gets caught on the albright knot (connection between braided and mono backing).
                    I felt I put too much mono backing. So I had less Braided line

(2) Perhaps I didn't trimm the end of the mono short enough.

Any suggestions?

joe
                    Just a few turns ....... enough to cover the spool 2 times is plenty

Comment

John,
                      I had the sliding braidedline on all my reel when I was 3 mile off the shore years ago. It was very frustrating.

Shadyfisher,
                      What doe "barely covered" mean? 3 bars? I am using small, 100-150 series reels.

Grilled,
                      Does elictrical tape works all the time for you? I like it because there will be only one knot (snell knot) according the the web site YakQuest provided.

joe

Comment

I have gone with hockey on everything... No problems. I like it over the electical tape because it's texturized and I like that over the slick electrical tape. The thing I don't like about mono is that I have noticed on some of my reels that there are small bulges where the mono hasn't laid just right.

Comment

I have always just used electrical or vinyl tape. No problems. The mono method is a good idea for larger reels, where all braid would be expensive.

Comment

I do not recommend using electrical tape to build up a spool or give you "grip-tion".
                            When it gets hot it can become a gummy mess. And on the older plastic spools it can soften the plastic.

I like to use mono as an arbor, but this year I am going to try using a drop of super glue on my anchor knot to keep it from spinning on the spool and just load the spool with braid. With my ultra lights, they only hold 40-50 yards 15 lb. braid, the equivalent of of 6-8 lb. mono, so with a mono backing it is possible on a long cast to hit the attaching double uni knot.

This way as the season goes on, I'll just keep cutting back on the line instead of having to re-spool mid season.

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                              I used to fill an entire spinning reel spool with braided line. On several occasions I observed the entire mass of line sliding around the spool. I kept cranking the handle but could not gain any ground -- no line was moving in at all.
                              That happened to me with a cownosed ray on....thought I was going crazy till I realized what was happening and cut the line
                              14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                              2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Working...
                              X