No announcement yet.

Tog Rod Recommedation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would wait until Michael sells his rods. It is not just rod, the mojo comes with the rods. Even my FF started working... Pinch, when are you selling yours (sheepshead rod)?
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 03-08-2013, 05:12 PM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

HA! Hopefully I did not pass it all off!
      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by shadyfisher85 View Post
        Im actually not going to make the M&G this weekend. Work at home and for my job are piling up (probably because Im on here too much).

I've actually felt that the handle on my lightning rod is too short, so maybe I would prefer the longer handle of the trevalla.

I have an Alltackle gift certificate that will bring me down closer to $100 for the S.
        You could order a custom Overboard through All Tackle which would allow you to use the gift card.

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
          I would wait until Michael sells his rods. It is not just rod, the mojo comes with the rods. Even my FF started working... Pinch, when are you selling yours (sheepshead rod)?
          Probably never.
          Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

You did sell me your tescata... I'll bring it tomorrow for you Joe
            Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
            Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
            https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

I went out on Fishbound Charters in Ocean City and the Ship Mate had a Gander Mountain Musky Rod that he was using. He was hooking up a lot more frequently that we were with the other rods that we were using. I got the try it out and the sensitivity on that rod is pretty ridiculous. I hooked up right away cause I was able to feel the much smaller bites. He said it runs about $70 for a 7' Gander Mountain Musky Rod.
              The best time spent is time that doesn't feel like it was spent at all. When it's worth it you'll give everything to do it all over again no matter what the cost.

Comment

Trevala S is ordered, thanks Matt!
                I was originally planning on just swapping over my Shimano Citica, but WTH, why not just get a whole new setup?
                What reels do you guys have on your Trevalas?
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Diawa Lexa
                  Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Originally posted by shadyfisher85 View Post
                    What reels do you guys have on your Trevalas?
                    Calcutta 200B
                    Mike S.
                    Hobie Outback
                    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

curado 300 or lexa
                      Hobie Revolution 13
                      Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Has anyone tried Teramar SE for tog at the CBBT? I got a H 7' 6" fast action casting rod so that I can use it at the CBBT on my yak and from jetties like IR. Is this a no go? Should i change to the Trevala like everyone suggested?
                        The best time spent is time that doesn't feel like it was spent at all. When it's worth it you'll give everything to do it all over again no matter what the cost.

Comment

Dson, didn't you just say a mate caught a lot of togs with s $70 rod? Do you really think you can't catch togs because you don't have a Trevala S? Sheesh!?!?

For the yak, 7'6" is a bit long. I've used 6' 6" and 7' rods, and 6'6" is just right because it gives me good leverage and I can swing the tip around the nose of my yak. The Trevala S, I believe is 6'3", which is too short for me with my 12' Outback. If you have a longer yak, you're going to lean and stretch forward more to get the tip around the nose. When I fish the pillings, I need all the manueverability I can get.

Oh, I use a Calcutta 200B and Luna 253.
                          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Yeah I did, but I had some rods that I wanted to donate so I donated it for discount coupons. So I ended up getting the Teramar for Jetty/kayak purposes. With the discount I felt like the teramar se was a decent purchase.

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                            Dson, didn't you just say a mate caught a lot of togs with s $70 rod? Do you really think you can't catch togs because you don't have a Trevala S? Sheesh!?!?

For the yak, 7'6" is a bit long. I've used 6' 6" and 7' rods, and 6'6" is just right because it gives me good leverage and I can swing the tip around the nose of my yak. The Trevala S, I believe is 6'3", which is too short for me with my 12' Outback. If you have a longer yak, you're going to lean and stretch forward more to get the tip around the nose. When I fish the pillings, I need all the manueverability I can get.

Oh, I use a Calcutta 200B and Luna 253.

Comment

Your 7'6" Teramar SE, if it's the one with the 2 oz rating, looks like a good tog rod for the yak. The 1 oz rating rods will be too mushy when you hang 2 oz or heavier sinkers. At CBBT, the current can get strong so you may need to use heavier sinkers. If you have the 1 oz rod, you may want to cut the tip so the overall rod is stiffer.

When I was looking for a tog rod last year, I almost bought the Trevala S. I did a lot of reading on forums and whatever. I found the general characteristics of a good tog rod. There are a lot of dedicated tog anglers out there, and I got a good idea of what a good tog rod should be. Turned out, I didn't need a Trevala S (which is essentially designed as a jigging rod). In fact, I really didn't run across a lot of people raving about the Trevala S as a tog rod. (I personally don't like the idea of spending $170 on a rod and then having to cut it). Anyway, I bought another rod (cheaper) based on the input I got from seasoned tog anglers, and I'm very happy with that rod.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not against the S, and I'm sure it's a good rod. I did handle one at a tackle store though, and I liked the lightness over the standard Trevala. Anyway, I just want to add balance to this thread and make sure people understand that are many other good choices out there that are less than $100. Don't feel like the only path to tog catchin' bliss is via one particular rod.
                              Last edited by tufnik; 03-12-2013, 05:11 PM.
                              2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                              2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                              2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Tuf- Good points- A stiff sensitive bottom fishing rod is what you need for spadefish, sheepheads and tautogs- like most of these wreck dwellers- they try to get back in the wreck as soon as they feel a hook, so you need to be able to move them and a soft rod will fail the test- I see a lot of high dollar rods and reels being touted as the solution to catching fish- no mistake about it- good quality gear is important, but it isn't a substitute for experience, skills and patience- I have seen a world record 88 lb. red drum caught on a Penn Long Beach on a 10 foot Hatteras Heaver off the Rodanthe Fishing pier by local Hatteras resident Elvin Hooper. The Long Beach was a very inexpensive reel- most everyone else on the pier was using Abu 9000 and 10,000-c reels- costing twice as much as the Long Beach with a much better drag- but Elvin used what he could afford and is the current IGFA world record holder.
                                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                                X