Scupper Hole Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scupper Hole Question...

Pardon my n00b'ness, for I am used to not having scupper holes...

If I don't plug the scupper holes located behind my seat, will my ass get wet in normal operation in calm water?
    <insert witty comment here>

Depends on your weight vs. the weight limit of the boat. In my old Outback, my butt was always wet. In my Tarpon, my butt's dry, but there's water in the tankwell.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Ok thanks for the speedy reply. I will look at a pair of scupper plugs. The yak's capacity is 475, and I'm 220ish. The water is too cold for that mess!

Comment

my revo is the only kayak i have owned that my ass gets wet and i weigh 180, dry pants are a must in colder weather. im hoping that the gts expedition seat will solve that problem

Comment

Phooey, I was hoping the Revo was going to improve on that. I guess I'll leave the plugs in during the winter.
          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Metro: Remember you are also adding a battery and your other equipment. The expedition seat did help to eliminate some of my wet butt problem. It sits a little higher. I can now use two 31 series batteries and not get a wet butt in reasonable water. I don't like to plug the scuppers because then the water puddles up in that recessed area. I am using an OC Big Game Prowler. It has a 600 lb capacity. I had a 15 ft Trident. With me, a mid mounted electric motor and a 27 series battery behind the seat, I would ge a wet butt. It had a 550 lb capacity, with most of the weight mostly centered or slightly towards the back. It was a long narrow boat. The Big Game is wider. It all depends on the configuration of the kayak and where the bulk of the weight is located. Then again, the Trident was before I had the expedition seat.

You'll get it adjusted. For instance, I put one of my batteries in the bow hatch and the other behind the seat. My motor is now at the back of the kayak. The torque is laid out somewhat in that order, with the battery forward and the motor in the rear.

Comment

Here is a cheap way to find out if you need to spend the extra money on scupper plugs...

go to walmart or any sporting goods place and pick up a bag full of practice golf balls (the small foam ones). they usually only cost about 3 bucks.

stuff one ball in each hole. wait. what? anyway, you get the point.

you might find that you will never need to purchase "official scupper plugs."

i always keep two or three extra golf balls in my dry bag in case things really go wrong.

a wet ass = a long, long day.
              Jason

Comment

I was going to recommend the same thing Jason. If you really wanna get fancy use a screwdriver to push a piece of paracord through and tie it in a set or near each hole so you always have them. Yours is yellow right? Nerf balls would be perfect.

I rarely ever plug mine, but think about it often when my butt starts itching. At least the tridents have holes under the seat so it doesn't puddle.
                Used to fish more.

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
                  Pardon my n00b'ness, for I am used to not having scupper holes...

If I don't plug the scupper holes located behind my seat, will my ass get wet in normal operation in calm water?

Metro, don't let MYT know you have a wet butt problem!

Comment

Dogfish you a trip!!! LOL!!!

MYT

Comment

you guys are hilarious! Thanks for the tips though.

The maiden voyage this weekend (I'm headed to pick it up on Friday, then going straight to the water from there) will be without the motor & battery.

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
                        you guys are hilarious! Thanks for the tips though.

The maiden voyage this weekend (I'm headed to pick it up on Friday, then going straight to the water from there) will be without the motor & battery.

Enjoy, catch a few fish for me. Looks like I many not get out to get a January fish. The month just flew by. I'll have to make it up this summer. I'm a child of summer.

Comment

Thanks,

We'll be going after yellows in the susky. We'll be sure to post a report!

Comment

Working...
                          X