Ocean kayak trident 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ocean kayak trident 13

Hey guys I'm interested in this yak a lot. Does any1 here know whether or not it's very suitable for the bay bridge? Also I wonder do most of you guys who fish large bodies of water paddle or pedal? Thanks

It's perfectly capable..a tried and true paddle yak.
    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Tridents are nice boats.
      Hurricane Skimmer 128
      WS Pamlico 100

Comment

I thought about one of those, but I wanted more weight capacity and something a little wider. Really like the mod pod and transducer scupper. The hatch is a little small on the ride in comparison, but it works fine for me. Should be good most places in one of those...very popular.

Comment

That was my target boat before I found such a good deal on the Torque. The Trident 13 is a pretty easy paddle.
          Stable enough for the Bay, but narrow enough to punch through surf.
          2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
          Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Ocean Kayak 13 Trident is a great all around Yak, not too big but not too small can do surf and rivers. Most guys that do a lot of fishing big water go with Peddle yaks, more range and a lot of pluses, I like paddling and keeping it simple though.......Jack

Comment

I've had mine around a year now and other than maybe my car, there isn't a thing that I own that I love more. Efficient, stable, well designed, light enough to car top, (I even stand up and paddle/cast in flat water) Bay bridge- no problem. It can take anything I've been in without batting an eye.
              John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
              Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
              2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

The Trident is very nice. Sleek and cuts through the water in sharp fashion. However, for more stability and capacity, you also may want to take a look at the Big Game Prowler. It is not as easy a paddle, but not a real barge either. It is much more stable, at 34" wide. Just my opinion.

Comment

I currently own a 2012 model of the Trident 13 and this thing had never let me down. It is perfect for any type of fishing and performs nicely. I can keep up with the hobies and is an easy paddle. The down side is the same for all paddle yaks and that they lack the ability to allow the angler to fish hands free. So if there is a heavy current or wind holding position might be more difficult.
                  Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                    The Trident is very nice. Sleek and cuts through the water in sharp fashion. However, for more stability and capacity, you also may want to take a look at the Big Game Prowler. It is not as easy a paddle, but not a real barge either. It is much more stable, at 34" wide. Just my opinion.
                    dogfish....have you ever paddled a regular prowler? If so, tell me about it
                    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Yes, I have. I owned one for quite some time. I did not find it that difficult to paddle. I don't know about the difficulty some seem to have with that hull. I really liked mine. I did eventually put an electric motor on the kayak. I use the kayak to troll a lot. The motor makes sense for me. I think for anyone is looking for a more stable kayak or for added capacity, the Big Game Prowler is a great choice. Another option may be the Malibu Stealth 12 or 14. They are 33 inches wide. However, the Prowler was good to me. I have been kicking around the idea of getting another paddle kayak for small lakes, ponds and areas where the Hobie might not work well. If I do get another paddle kayak, it will be a Big Game Prowler.

Comment

the specs seem like it (prowler 13) would be a good boat for bigger guys, but some did not like it, but i've never read sucha review where they provided the details on that. The big game does look like a good boat, just wondering about speed since it is a bit shorter

Comment

I am larger, so it fit me. It is 12' 9". It always did well for me. I had one with a rudder.

Comment

gracias!!

Comment

I have a 2012 Trident 13 Angler and I love it. The main reason I got it was the ease of car topping. You can't put Hobie on the roof too easily. I have fished the Severn, BB, TPL etc and it has worked well. The only thing I would suggest is to get a rudder. The rudder saves wasted energy and really makes a difference when you have a cross wind and are trying to get home!

I am currently putting a motor on it for the trips coming back to Jonas or Sandy point. My arthritis isn't getting any better even though I was able to sprint for a short while last summer with calm water and got up to 5.5 mph gps.

You can't go wrong with a Trident.
                              John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                              MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                              Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Working...
                              X