How do you fish with frozen spot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you fish with frozen spot?

Ok I know you have to thaw it out first lol. What's best method for stripers? Can u throw out a whole dead spot and or should it be cut up? If should be cut up what's the best way to use it? Strips, chunks?

I don't chunk very often from my kayak but I do a lot while surf fishing...

First, it doesn't have to be thawed. Caught a 48" red last fall on a frozen solid rock hard cobb head 5 minutes after I threw it out. Best is to steak the fish in chunks 1' - 1.5" wide. Spot will usually get 2 or 3 chunks depending on the size of the fish. Head, mid-body chunk, back half of body chunk, with small ones just cut it in half for a head and body chunk. It doesn't matter when your dropping straight down, but if you're casting, cut the tail fins off the back chunk to increase casting distance.
    Brian

Comment

The thing with spot is that it gets soft after it thaws, so the best methods is to chunk it or if you want to strip it and you find that it is too soft, use some fisherman's floss and secure it to the hook. what I have done is salt my bait before freezing and it adds some consistency to the bait and it stays on the hook a little better.

Comment

I cannot answer the original question (how do you fish with frozen spot) but here is a picture showing how to fish in a frozen spot. It was about 25 deg when I left my house at 9:30. The tributary I fished today had about 25% skim ice cover. Fortunately 75% of the water surface was open.

002.jpg
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
          I cannot answer the original question (how do you fish with frozen spot) but here is a picture showing how to fish in a frozen spot. It was about 25 deg when I left my house at 9:30. The tributary I fished today had about 25% skim ice cover. Fortunately 75% of the water surface was open.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10094[/ATTACH]
          LOL... drag that grub... LOL
          2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
          Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Working...
          X