Torn between the Tarpon 120 and the Ride 115x

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torn between the Tarpon 120 and the Ride 115x

My indecisiveness is getting the best of me when it comes to deciding on either the WS Tarpon 120 or the WS Ride 115x. Tarpon does seem to be an all-around great kayak from everything I have been reading, but the huge features I like with the Ride 115x is the ability to stand and the removable center console. However, I've been reading that it's like paddling an SUV. I am looking for a very flexible kayak that I can take almost anywhere (ponds, lakes, rivers, ocean, etc...). I'm a fairly small guy, 5'6" and about 165 lbs, and I have seen a few videos of larger/taller people standing on the Tarpons, so I don't think I would have too much of a problem doing so.

With that said, any personal experiences with either kayaks? I have been leaning towards to Tarpon but for some reason, I am having troubles solidifying my decision between the two.

Thanks in advance for feedback!
    Josh

2014 Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120

they are both great boats, but dollar for dollar I would say buy the tarpon.
    Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140

Comment

Originally posted by pungomd View Post
      they are both great boats, but dollar for dollar I would say buy the tarpon.
      I have been watching videos on YouTube for the last few weeks on how people have their Tarpon's rigged and it has gotten me so pumped up to head in that direction, but I am just making sure I am making the right decision before I get it and then have buyers remorse lol
      Josh

Comment

I am really messing with your decision process, but I would go with the Ride115. I am a former Tarpon 120 and it's a great kayak BUT I am 6 ft 240lbs...and at times I felt unsettling leaning to reach my tackle crate and rod holders. The tarpon tracks well and moves quickly through the water but it felt very confined and unstable at times. The Ride is a very wide and stable kayak, and of course it's going to be slower than others in the fleet. In my opinion it's a good opportunity cost of sacrificing speed for stability. Speed is not important when trolling or fishing structure, but it is important from getting to Point A to B. I own an outback now, I could have went with a revo which is a bit faster but stability was the factor in my decision process. Again, I am not knocking the Tarpon in any way...it just wasn't for me. You will see owners of both Rides and Tarpons and I am sure they will chime in.

I know your eyes are bleeding after all the reviews and youtube videos! Good luck and tight lines
        2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

I HD a ride 11th before getting a pro angler. It'd a great boat.. it's really not that heavy.. the extra stability is second to none

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
          Zach Moore
          Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
          Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
          Bait Towel Pro Staff
          2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
          YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
            I am really messing with your decision process, but I would go with the Ride115. I am a former Tarpon 120 and it's a great kayak BUT I am 6 ft 240lbs...and at times I felt unsettling leaning to reach my tackle crate and rod holders. The tarpon tracks well and moves quickly through the water but it felt very confined and unstable at times. The Ride is a very wide and stable kayak, and of course it's going to be slower than others in the fleet. In my opinion it's a good opportunity cost of sacrificing speed for stability. Speed is not important when trolling or fishing structure, but it is important from getting to Point A to B. I own an outback now, I could have went with a revo which is a bit faster but stability was the factor in my decision process. Again, I am not knocking the Tarpon in any way...it just wasn't for me. You will see owners of both Rides and Tarpons and I am sure they will chime in.

I know your eyes are bleeding after all the reviews and youtube videos! Good luck and tight lines
            Man, my brain is definitely a bunch of moosh after reading the great reviews and watching the awesome videos for both! If money wasn't a factor, I'd definitely get both!!

I appreciate your feedback. I've been seeing that stability has been a huge selling point for the Ride 115x, which I am learning quickly is definitely good to have. ACK does have an Angler package for the 115x that I have been eyeing up as an option. I have until the end of the month to rack my brain on these two options lol.
            Josh

Comment

Originally posted by BassMoore View Post
              I HD a ride 11th before getting a pro angler. It'd a great boat.. it's really not that heavy.. the extra stability is second to none

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
              Thanks for the feedback. Have you ever done any fishing with it that required a large amount of paddling distance?
              Josh

Comment

I'm gonna messed with your head some more, sorry. I had tarpon 120 before and I can tell you first hand that I would not fish standing in any condition. Now I have Trident 13, I really like the new kayak. I can fish standing on it in calm condition. It has very good speed, track well even without rudder. I love fishing for SH with my Trident. I can stand and work the frog real good.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakehead Hunter View Post
                  I'm gonna messed with your head some more, sorry. I had tarpon 120 before and I can tell you first hand that I would not fish standing in any condition. Now I have Trident 13, I really like the new kayak. I can fish standing on it in calm condition. It has very good speed, track well even without rudder. I love fishing for SH with my Trident. I can stand and work the frog real good.
                  I am starting to see a trend in the confidence levels in the stability of the Tarpon 120 (Even while just sitting in it and needing to access storage in the rear). This is very good feedback to have! Thank you!

PS - I am hoping to catch my first Snakehead sometime soon!
                  Josh

Comment

Have you considered the tarpon 140? It moves really well through the water. Fishing with Jeff Little, he uses the 140 and just bought a pair of 160's for trolling. I was really amazed at how well the 140 moves through the water, much better than my Outback. We've been out in lots of waves with no issue. If you must paddle, I'd go sleeker :-) but it depends on where you fish.

In fact, Jeff just posted a video about choosing the right Wilderness Systems kayak. Here's the link if you want more info: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMXQEDiwyYc

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Kokatat Pro Staff
                    Torqeedo Pro Staff
                    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                    Alan

Comment

Another post to scramble your mind...lol
                      when I saw your title 1st thing I thought of was a kayak in between the 2 your interested in.
                      Has more stability than the tarpon and more speed than the ride 115.
                      IMO the trident 11 falls perfectly in between what your looking for. At 11' 5" and 30.5" width it provides excellent stability and speed and is lighter than both your choices and has a weight capacity of 400 lbs. The trident 13 is even faster and more stable if you dont mind the extra length. And that rod pod is awesome to keep all your tackle right in front of you.

Bottom line is you really need to decide what type of fishing and or cruising your gonna do before deciding what type of yak is best for you. Or just get one of each....lol. I had an outback and now a pro angler and am looking for a trident 11 as a second kayak now.
                      2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                      2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Well if standing is important, the tarpon is not the best (though it would be possible)
                        If all-around best kayak and speed are issues....and since you are lighter build, I don't see how it is a contest. The tarpon 120 was for years the most popular fishing kayak ever made. It is a 'yak, not a barge so it has a lively action, but it is very stable, fast, can take some weather (though it benefits from rudder in following seas), and it is much easier to paddle--ie-faster.
                        There are lots of good boats out there, the suggestion of the trident is good, you can still find prowlers for cheaper (but it is long---don't know what your transporting or storage situation is), so I am not sure you might not be able to find an other boat for the same price that fits your needs. But if these are your choices......it would be no contest for me. Tarpon
                        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

I have the Tarpon 120 and I would not recommend standing in it. Not saying it can't be done, but it wasn't made with standing as a feature. I don't own the Ride and have never paddled one, so I can't help you there. Based on my experience, the Tarpon does track fairly well, but you will almost always sacrifice speed for stability - so you have to ask yourself what is most important to you. Personally, I want another yak and will be looking at the Ocean Kayak Prowler II, the Old Town Predator 13 (which is virtually the same yak) so I can stand and fish or I might look at the Diablo Adios (which will not win any races) but will satisfy my urge to stand (or do backflips or cartwheels) and fish in lakes and calm rivers probably better than most other kayaks currently on the market.
                          Last edited by NukeMD; 06-11-2014, 10:16 AM.
                          Dave N.
                          Wilderness Systems Radar 115
                          - Solar

Comment

Get a hobie!! When I was shopping for my first fishing yak 5 or 6 years ago I narrowed it down to a manta ray 14 and a tarpon 140. I chose the manta ray because at the time it had a wayyyy more awesome seat, paddled very well and seemed a little more stable but it was a very close call. Those tarpons are very nice boats and I know they've been upgraded since I tested that one out. Can't speak for the ride never seen or paddled one.
                            Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

If you are trying to decide between those two kayaks only I would really recommend you to get the ride115x. It might be slower and might not track as well as the tarpon but you can correct that by adding a rudder (I did that to my ride 135 and it really made a difference). I will also recommend the ride If you want to be able to stand up on kayak to fish, you might be able do it on the tarpon but it will a bit of challenge and honestly, I would not recommend it. Good luck with your decision.

Comment

Working...
                              X