Heavy tackle trolling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy tackle trolling

So I have been have success with top water trolling. And with cooler days a head I'm thinking about trolling some larger lures. So my question is what's the largest rod/reel set up you used successfully.

Side question has anyone used trolling sinkers or a mini planer to get the lures off the top water. Thanks
    Cuda 14
    Big tuna

We used to use Dipsy Divers to troll lures down deeper than they would run on their own. That was from a boat though, they have a good bit of drag, not sure if I'd want to pull those behind the kayak?
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Is there any particular reason you want to use "heavy tackle"? My "heavy" tackle these days (since I gave my last boat to my niece) is an old Penn #10 reel on a 5' 6" Diawa Eliminator rod with 20 pound Powerpro. I use that for jigging the BB and when I go out trolling specifically for a Rock dinner. Obviously I don't put heavy trolling weights on this setup but then again I don't troll the channel edges with my yak.

My normal rigs are President #20 spinner on a Berkley Lightening 6" 6" Med Lt rod with 10# Powerpro and that has handled everything including those D$*m cow nosed rays. Heavy tackle just makes your arthritis hurt more.

John

John
      John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
      MK Endura Max 55 backup power
      Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Ok well I just decided to change things up and tied a buck tail 3' behind my super spook and nailed about 7-8 rockfish and one 18" keeper. It was satisfying getting them to hit that bucktail.

http://www.chesapeakelighttackle.com...breaking-fish/
        Last edited by Longtrav; 08-18-2014, 10:41 PM.
        Cuda 14
        Big tuna

Comment

So you went to "Chesapeake light Tackle" to get tips on HEAVY TACKLE TROLLING....lol. Just kidding
          I seen that article before and looks like an effective technique for breaking fish. But then again in a school of breaking fish pretty much anything you throw will hook up. I highly doubt Shawn Kimbro (Mr. Anti Trolling) ever thought anyone would try trolling with that setup.

On another note..... You say you've been trolling top water baits. That's something I never thought would work. Ive dragged a spook a few times when going from place to place and even kept twitching it walking the dog and never had anything hit it. But last week we were at Black Hills and I was throwing a popper and it started to rain and we started heading back and I tossed the popper out and trolled it about 50 yards behind me and in about 40' of water I went over a tree that came up to about 5' below the surface and a 20" 4 pound large mouth came up and nailed the popper. After that I think I may try more fresh water trolling when moving around from spot to spot. Think I'll try a buzz bait next time.
          2013 PRO ANGLER 12
          2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Ok I used that rig over a area that was holding fish but they were not biting or breaking. I also plan to use that same set-up with a diving crankbait as the lead lure. Yeah it's not heavy but it worked so it's a win-win, lol. I have been doing great with stinger spoon. Lots of blues and a fair share of rock. Thanks. Hey I listened to the people
            Cuda 14
            Big tuna

Comment

I prefer casting to catch fish, but when they are not biting consistently, I will troll around an area using the same rods and lures that I had casted trying to find them. For example, yesterday I found fish occasionally breaking in small pods near structure. I threw small paddletails to those spots but had no hookups. I changed over and trolled 4 spinning rods back and forth around the same area and caught five 16" bluefish (great pull on a med-light rod). One of those bluefish jumped vertically 4 ft in the air as I wound it in. After catching those fish, I tried casting to the same spots again but was unsuccessful at drawing a bite.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                I prefer casting to catch fish, but when they are not biting consistently, I will troll around an area using the same rods and lures that I had casted trying to find them. For example, yesterday I found fish occasionally breaking in small pods near structure. I threw small paddletails to those spots but had no hookups. I changed over and trolled 4 spinning rods back and forth around the same area and caught five 16" bluefish (great pull on a med-light rod). One of those bluefish jumped vertically 4 ft in the air as I wound it in. After catching those fish, I tried casting to the same spots again but was unsuccessful at drawing a bite.
                I almost always find trolling more successfull than casting. We've talked about it together, but this is even more evidence of it.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Kokatat Pro Staff
                Torqeedo Pro Staff
                Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                Alan

Comment

I almost wish kayak trolling had it's on term or definition. It's so much different than trolling from a motor boat. You an troll in a yak in 2-3ft of water. You have to use a lot of skill and it's fun when using small outfits to bring in medium to large fish. Until I take someone on the water they always say "you just troll" then they see how much fun it is because it's mind numbing on most boats. Just my two cents.
                  Last edited by Longtrav; 08-19-2014, 06:00 PM.
                  Cuda 14
                  Big tuna

Comment

Originally posted by Longtrav View Post
                    I almost wish kayak trolling had it's on term or definition. It's so much different than trolling from a motor boat. You an troll in a yak in 2-3ft of water. You have to use a lot of skill and it's fun when using small outfits to bring in medium to large fish. Until I take someone on the water they ways say "you just troll" then they see how much fun it is because it's mind numbing on most boats. Just my two cents.
                    On a motor boat there are a number of rods trolling, a number of people watching those rods, and one person at the helm. On our kayaks: we are doing everything, at once, on our own vessel.
                    Hobie fleet:
                    2017 Quest 13
                    2015 Outback
                    2014 Outback

Comment

I've got a couple heavier short rods I built on what are probably 20# class blanks. They have Tekota's spooled with 50# braid. I think they are 600s. They did not work well on the old boat and I haven't had much experience with them on this one.
                      LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                      Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Working...
                      X