Charleston South Carolina - Low Country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charleston South Carolina - Low Country

Fished the Chesapeake Bay, Southern Maryland, Lower Potomac River for many years. Always appreciated it up there and thought it was a world class fishery. Now I live vicariously through you guys.

Moved to the Low Country, Charleston SC, well over a year ago. Dialing in this area took a bit of time but the kayak fishing can be decent for redfish, speckled trout, flounder, bluefish, whiting, etc. I stress kayak fishing since most of the time I fish in water 2 ft deep or less with many creeks completely inaccessible to powerboats. Live shrimp/mullet, cut mullet etc. is far more productive than artificials, at least for me. Although trout will consistently bite on a paddle tail. Definitely more tide sensitive here. Water clarity is measured in inches. Saturday I fished for 5 hrs. (Most of the bite occurred 2 hrs. on each side of low tide). Managed 30 to 35 - redfish (18" to 30" inches) 7 trout (to 21"), 5 flounder and a ladyfish. The weather down here is consistently epic compared to up north and a plus when fishing through winter.

What you don't have up there that you can be thankful for are the abundance of snakes and gators. (Gators are actually like big green squirrels and generally leave you alone) This porpoise had a meaner disposition. It rammed me a while back. Note the dorsal fin in the lower left corner. It slowly cruised in front of my kayak then throttled up and nailed me.

Note the flounder picture: You can see the shrimp on the deck. They are so thick in the creeks that a small cast net can yield plenty of bait for the day. (or dinner)

10168.jpg10166.jpg10163.jpg10162.jpg10169.jpg10167.jpg10161.jpg5223.jpgdolphin 3.jpgdolphin 5.jpg
    Last edited by Fishtank; 10-20-2021, 11:57 AM.
    Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
    Predator 13

You’re just doing this to make us jealous, and it’s working. Great that you’re figuring it out Tim.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

those are some nice fish! Sound like fun catching those fish in 2ft of water

Comment

Pretty epic fishing you have down there, not to mention incredible food. Unfortunately I have given up on trying to get my wife to move down there. Do you ever hit the surf? Just was down in Tybee for a surf tournament, a lot of nice bulls brought in. Jealous to say the least
        Jay

10' Green Slayer
        13’ Red Slayer

Comment

No surf fishing for me Jay. My buddies do and get an occasional redfish, trout, shark when fishing the surf at Folly Beach. I lived several miles up the Stono River from the ocean and my neighbors crush the sharks off the community pier. You would be surprised at the amount of sharks I see in the creeks and rivers cruising the shoreline around here. Saw a dozen one day. Some to 6 ft.

Wanted to add. I pulled up an an island (Hog Island) across Charleston Harbor from Fort Sumter at dead low tide. At the waters edge, stuck in the mud I found this object that appeared to me to be a cannon projectile from the Civil or Revolutionary War. Anyhow, turns out it was. Mt. Pleasant bomb disposal unit confirmed and removed it.

bomb.jpg

shark.jpgLH.jpg
          Last edited by Fishtank; 10-20-2021, 10:20 PM.
          Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
          Predator 13

Comment

^^^
            Yeah, always see the skinny sharks cruising the banks - always wondered what type they are. One time my brothers and I shored the yaks and were casting from the sand banks on an exposed bar, and they were practically weaving between us in a foot of water - totally not interested in us.
            Tons of stingrays down there though.
            Although, no way in heck would I go swimming ocean side.
            A lot of sheepshead by those folly docks
            Jay

10' Green Slayer
            13’ Red Slayer

Comment

Working...
            X