Monocacy River

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monocacy River

I am interested in trying out the Monocacy River in the yak, so I scouted a few launch areas on Friday. Looking for a good launch ramp into water that is not too shallow and that looks fishable for smallies. From the shoreline, these three sites looked the best:

1. Mouth of the Monocacy.
    2. Park Mills Road
    3. Pine Cliff Park

I also found two USGS measuring points on the internet for the Monocacy that were upstream from these three spots...specifically "Monocacy Boulevard in Frederick (at Riverside Park)" and "Near Frederick and I-70". Does anyone know the flowrates or gauge heights (for either of these measuring points) that would present good kayak fishing on the Monocacy? I don't want to fight tricky rapids if the water is high or drag/portage the yak all day if it is low.

What heights or flow rates would you target if you were me?

Which launch area of the three above do you think offers the best chance of a fun day of fishing and catching?

Thanks,
    Bruce

I walk the river all the time but up north of frederick. I would suggest not fishing out of a nice kayak because there are quite a few rocks just under the water sometime that could scratch up the keel and hull at tines. I tubed it before with a fishing rod and a spinning and caught so many fish though in spots people can't readily access.

Comment

Working...
    X