Rhode River - 10/27/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhode River - 10/27/14

I launched yesterday at 2:00 pm to catch the incoming projected to be most active in the 4:00-6:00 pm range. Wind was 10-15 mph from the south, not ideal but manageable. I started trolling into the wind on the north side just off the piers and heading downriver w/ my usual white quarter ounce jig w/ a 4" chartreuse Gulp, and a half ounce rattletrap, blue over white. My paddle plan was to troll a wide arc first down river, then crossing the channel, and then riding the wind and tide upriver (I always try to do the hardest paddling up front).

Like clockwork, at about 3:30 the bite started off near a point on the south side with a nice fighting 14 "er on the jig. The next one maybe a mile or so upriver was another good fighting 17"er on the rattletrap. Unfortunately he swallowed it and got tangled w/ my other line, requiring me to re-tie both rigs. More on the rattletrap later.

Two more 16-17 "ers followed while trolling lazily upriver on the south side in the shallows in 3-5' of water. Then while making the second wide arc to head back upriver to the launch, this 20 incher hit. image.jpg .

While cleaning the one keeper, I took this photo of three small alewives in various stages of digestion. image.jpg

Back to the rattletrap. I had previously snipped off one hook from each of the two treble hooks (a Chris Dollar tip), and I still think I likely killed him getting it out, although he swam away vigorously.

I am wondering if, considering the stomach contents, would replacing the rattletrap with a three or four inch Storm Shad be just as effective? Also, any thoughts on how to get a Storm Shad to rattle?
    Last edited by Fishinfool; 10-28-2014, 05:00 PM.

Originally posted by Fishinfool View Post
    Also, any thoughts on how to get a Storm Shad to rattle?
    Not sure if this would solve the Storm Shad rattle, but Hardheadcustombaits.com sells glass rattles. I purchased some and they are tiny, less than 1/2 inch, and they rattle a good bit for something so small.
    Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
    Cobra Explorer

Comment

Thanks Peggy, I may buy a pack or two and try them out.
      I was also thinking of a popping bobber which I already have, but that's on the surface. I guess I'll have to experiment and see what works. Rattletraps are effective, but the treble hooks are just too hard on the fish.

Comment

Working...
      X