Friday Night fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friday Night fishing

Heading out to try my hand at night fishing. I plan on launching out of Ft. Armistead. I figure to do some trolling for perch and rock under the bridge until it gets real dark.. then anchor out a ways from the launch and try to get some cats...

Anyone interested in tagging along?
    People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

SO I got all loaded up and something came up so I had to cancel.. but SATURDAY Night for sure..Who is with me???

Comment

How'd you do?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

So I launched out of Ft Armistead at around 9 pm. That place always makes me a little nervous, no one has ever bothered me there.. but... well... nuf said.

I started by trolling around the normal places I get fish there.. basically near the first pylon under the bridge in a line towards the dock pylons that are submerged. I also trolled around the flats out from where they always catfish fish on the shore.

I marked TONS of bait fish right where they always are... I could even feel my lure bumping into them. It is very frustrating hearing fish slap the surface all around you but not getting any bites.

At one point I hooked into something BIG.. the thing felt like I got snagged, but it pulled back in a tugging motion. I got three or four cranks in towards the boat (it was pulling drag pretty good).. when I heard a splash and the line went slack. If it was a rock or a blue.. it was the largest I have ever hooked into. It was probably a ray, and the splash I heard was one of it's wings.. or it was a submarine sneaking into the inner harbor to spy on the aquarium.

I started with my old faithful, the jig head with paddle tail, that is what I hooked that ray (or submarine) on. When it got real dark I thought I would change sensory baits... I went with a rattle trap, and a deeper diving rattle hard bait. Still nothing. I also tried a flashy spoon type of thing.

The highlight of the night was when the harbor patrol stopped me. They asked for my license, which was no problem.. then we talked for a bit. They were nice guys.

after that I went to my catfish rigs..still got nothing but a lot of stink on my hands (I use the dough bait). I thought I would change sensory baits again and go with smell....

IN the end I got skunked, I don't recall getting skunked before in the bay.. so this might have been the first time. Fishing in a kayak at night was pretty cool. I can't lie it was a little scary at first. My FF was blinding me until I turned down the brightness. I could not see the waves so I had to just allow myself to roll with the kayak (which is probably what you are supposed to do anyways). After I got comfortable it really was a nice evening. THe moon came out but not enough to see by. ... the water laid down a bit. It was cool (after a 102 degree day) and quiet, and no one was around. I could hear the fish splashing all around me (clearly mocking me) Very relaxing. Just me, my kayak and a bunch of fish that were clearly not hungry.

I left at 2am a little unhappy with the lack of success but very happy with the experience overall.

Comment

Thanks for the report. Everything is feeding on the millions of peanut bunker. Match that or catch some for bait and you're going to catch.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

DARN!!! I had a rattle trap that looked a lot like that, but lost it two weeks ago on a damned crab trap.

Comment

Working...
            X