BB 8/20/2011 East side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BB 8/20/2011 East side

Launch off at the G dock at 8:30am to fish the high tide around 10am. Tried jigging at the north span bridge and lost a couple of my jigs and still couldn't
    get a single bite. I must suck at jigging (the current was slow though) or the fish didn't like jigs that day. Saw a party boat use cut crab and catching a bunch
    so I managed to pluck one off the piling and quartered him. On the first drop, a 27 or 28" took the bait. I only had a 24" check it stick and he was about
    3" outside of it. He didn't fight hard which was disappointing. Dropped another bait and a 15" took it. He too was lazy and when I put him back, he was
    just floating and didn't take off like i normally see them do. One more WP and that was it so I called it a day.

Good show. Didn't know you could catch rocks with crab. Blue crab, right? I guess you quarter the meaty body without the legs.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Sometimes you can get your jig back by paddling up to the location and pull your line with your hand. I got all but one back the other day that I snagged. Frustrating. One day no snags another snag after snag.

Comment

Remember to take a pair of needle nose pliers and re-bend your hooks back to the original shape after a hard hangup. Lost good fish because the hooks were not right- resharpen them too-
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
          Good show. Didn't know you could catch rocks with crab. Blue crab, right? I guess you quarter the meaty body without the legs.
          On Labor Day weekend in 1997, I fished the bay bridge pilings with peeler crab on a standard bottom rig from my 13' inflatable boat. I eventually hooked a 31" rockfish that towed me around a bit. Another angler used my camera to snap a photo of me holding the fish. It was featured in the next week's issue of Fisherman magazine.

Soft crab or peeler crab will catch nearly anything in the bay. In a pinch, you can use a regular blue crab with a hard shell. Break it into a few pieces and thread the crab on your hook (I usually thread the hook through a leg joint).
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

we saw some crabs hanging on the pilings a few inches below the water line. I floated next to it and grabbed one with my pliers. It isn't easy for sure. I would just go buy crab from the asian stores next time. It was just a moment of opportunity I took.

You can catch anything off cut crab. I kept the legs on. The perch will eat it and peck at the meat if they can't eat it whole. Rock will take it for sure.

Comment

Very nice. I think i said Hi to you out there on Saturday when you were re tying your rig. I was in the orange Prowler 15. There was a constant line of Kayaks leaving G-Dock that day. At one point i counted 10 on the water at the same time.

Weather was perfect but the fishing was slow for me. I jigged for around 4 hrs with only a 19" rock and a 3 lb toad to show for my efforts. I caught the rock on one of the shipping channel pylons in 70ft of water. There were several marks suspended around 15ft to 30ft right against pylons but I could only get one to the boat.

I did snag someone's fresh crab rig with hook, sinker and a fresh half of a crab. If i knew i would have rigged it up.

The snags were getting annoying towards the end of the trip. Me and Codfish added at least 10 jigs to the mess around the pylons.

Comment

Three pound toad? Did you eat'um? I heard they're good.
                2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Very nice fish, didn't realize you could use crab for stripers.
                  2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Everything eats crabs- especially big red drum and big trout
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by mmanolis2001 View Post
                      Very nice. I think i said Hi to you out there on Saturday when you were re tying your rig. I was in the orange Prowler 15. There was a constant line of Kayaks leaving G-Dock that day. At one point i counted 10 on the water at the same time.
                      There were so many yakers out there that day I figured one of you guys were on the forum. I hear toad fish are good eats but then again, anything fried with a good sauce is good eats if you can get over what it looked like before.

Comment

I have heard they taste good but i would have to be starving to eat one of those nasty slugs. I don't think there is a fish on earth i despise more than those pukes. At least they don't swallow jigs like they do hooks on bottom rigs.

Comment

Originally posted by frettr00 View Post
                          Very nice fish, didn't realize you could use crab for stripers.
                          Fishing gets good mid-may - mid-june in shallower waters when crabs shed the first time, attracts rockfish, blues and croaker.

Comment

Years ago, when I had my boat, I was tired of the loss of bottom rigs around the bridge. I started using a slip float rig. I would tip a bucktail with a large bull minnow. It worked great. I suppose that would also work with crab. I would also use a slip float around the fish reef, which is just South of the West River. Back then I got the idea from watching fishing shows from the great lakes, with anglers using slip floats for walleye. Now days, alot of those great lakes tactics have made there way here, such as trolling with boards and dipsys.

Comment

Awesome work, Dave. That's a good looking fish and nice picture. Catching your bait by hand was a nice touch.
                              Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                              Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
                              X