First trolled stripers of 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First trolled stripers of 2018

Last week I trolled from Jonas Green to the river mouth with no caught fish. Today I launched in Weems Creek, headed out to the river, and worked upstream as far as Saltworks Creek on the west side and Chase Creek on the east side then back down along the eastern edge as far as Manresa. The water was clean with about a 6” chop – wind was not an issue today. Water levels were high (high tide at 8:00 am), and the sky was overcast with occasional light drizzle. I put out 4 rods as soon as I left the launch. Most of the trip was uneventful. In one hour, I found five fish -- three in the mid-teens, a 21", and a 22". While these were not huge fish, I was delighted to register my first trolled stripers of the year. During the other 2.5 hours, I had no bites.

Without saying exactly where I found fish today, I can offer these observations.

1) All five fish were caught in one stretch of the river about 0.5 mile long. I had no bites anywhere else on my 8.3-mile route.
    2) All fish were caught in water depths from 7’ to 15’. I tried not to go shallower than 5’ because I had at least one heavy jighead in the spread. I had no bites when in water deeper than 15’ today.
    3) The fish liked chartreuse today. I trolled 12 Fathom plastics on lead heads. Four of the five fish came on a chartreuse Buzztail on a white bucktail of ½-oz to ¾-oz (bottom lure in the photo). The other fish came on a chartreuse 4" Fat Sam mullet on a white jighead of ¾-oz to 1 oz. The other two rods had white or pearl plastics on them and were not touched.

2003-08-01 00-00-04.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Great report John! Glad to see things picking up!

Comment

Speaking to us from beyond the grave...

Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Great report!
        Hopefully a harbinger of things to come!

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
          Great report!
          Hopefully a harbinger of things to come!
          +1

It is.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

John,

Did you happen to note the water temp?
            -manny

Hobie Outback
            Wilderness Systems 130T
            Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Originally posted by baitball View Post
              John,

Did you happen to note the water temp?
              My transducer sits inside the hull, not in direct contact with the water. The temp reading was 47-49 deg. Since it was not sunny yesterday, I think that is a good approximation of water temp. The previous week, on a sunny day, the Severn temp showed up as 48-53 deg.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                My transducer sits inside the hull, not in direct contact with the water. The temp reading was 47-49 deg. Since it was not sunny yesterday, I think that is a good approximation of water temp. The previous week, on a sunny day, the Severn temp showed up as 48-53 deg.
                Thanks John. That temps seems to be “about right” for the striper bite to turn on.
                Have you noticed the same trend or something different in years past?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                -manny

Hobie Outback
                Wilderness Systems 130T
                Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Working...
                X