A little scouting today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little scouting today.

I took some time to look at some locations that were new to me, Downs Park, and Homeport Farm Park.

Down's Park: to get to the ramp, you pull into the entrance on the right, pay at the kiosk, and then do a U-turn across Pinehurst Rd. There is a gate that is activated from the kiosk. Bear to the right as the road forks.
    The pathway is at the northwest end of the parking lot. It is paved blacktop, and about 120 yards down a very gentle slope to the ramp. You will probably want to use a cart. I could carry my ultra light canoe that distance on my shoulder, but honestly, I have been spoiled by ramps like the one at Tucker St, or at Taylor's Landing up on the Potomac, where one can unload the car directly to the water.......

The ranger I met was not very knowledgeable about tidal fishing, he was a trout fisherman, but I don't hold that against him, I was one, myself, a long time ago. I gave him a couple of Bignose spinner jigs to give him a head start.
    According to him, they may eventually add some sort of loop so vehicles can pull down to unload.

The area of Wharf Creek where the ramp is located is quite shallow, the pedal guys may have to do some initial paddling to get clear. The right side shore is in a natural state for a a couple of hundred yards, but on the left shore the development is much more extensive and begins about 100 yards north of the ramp.There are a couple of miles of relatively highly developed shoreline, ideal if you enjoy dock hopping for Perch. It's a longish paddle out to the open Bay from the launch. Lenny Rudo likes the hidden rocks just outside of the Bodkin Creek's entrance for stripers.

Read Mark Bange's excellent report about fishing this area.

IMG_0969.jpg

Homeport Farm Park: getting there is "interesting." If you are heading south on Route 2 from Annapolis you will have to proceed about 1/2 mile south past Home Port Drive until you can make a U-turn into the north bound lanes. This can take a while, depending on the traffic heading north. The traffic heading north is flying! Be careful!
    Once you get to the gate you have to dial in the combo. Make sure that you keep a copy of this in your vehicle, if it's in you pocket and you get wet, you may be there a while. Be sure to relock the gate.

IMG_0974.jpg

The parking area is at the top of a moderately sloped pathway, part packed gravel, part blacktop, then gravel again. You will definitely want to use a cart here, too.
    It is 100 yards downhill to the ramp. Figure 60-80 feet of elevation change. Getting a battleship sized kayak back up to the lot may require a small team of pack mules, if you are an old guy like me.

IMG_0973.jpg

This is from the ramp looking uphill.
    Church Creek is much less developed then Wharf Creek, in Downs Park, and the few houses are set a bit back. Looks to be a very pretty area.
    Last edited by bignose; 07-12-2018, 06:04 PM.

Stu,

I'm sorry. I didn't see your post. I just posted a link to an article about the new Bodkin launch in the Ribbon Cutting thread. I should have posted it here.

The beauty of the new launch is the access it provides to four major creeks and a few smaller ones. There's much water to explore. Where the four larger creeks converge is wider than the Severn at Jonas Green. And as you mentioned, striper water is easily within reach. I've yet to see it all. But what I have seen and experienced holds much promise for kayak anglers. Hence, the article in the other thread. By the way, I took my Hobie on my last visit and had no problem leaving the launch under pedal power. But the launch cove is indeed shallow.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
    X