Breaking the Cabin Fever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking the Cabin Fever

Keith and I got out today in Southern Maryland to fish a small lake DNR stocked with a Golden and Rainbow trout. We met up in the lower parking area as the access road to the main area of the county park is closed, so we had a uphill, though the woods pull of about a hundred yards on a gravel path..definitely need a good cart. Then a launch off the bank into the lake...43.7 degree water...it was the shakedown cruise for Daughter Laura’s new Compass with its upgrades- Berley Pro side scan transducer cover, Hummingbird 798 ci HD SI Fishfinder/chartplotter, Turbo Fins, new front 8 inch hatch that has the Hobie Battery holder and new PVC rod rack...it is a great smooth water boat, wide, stable, fast and comfortable- the wide seat is very comfortable...the weather Conditions were OK today, not great, but only overcast- a few minutes of drizzle...we were tired from pulling our kayaks uphill and around to the lake, but I launched first and trolled about a quarter mile across to a cove of 5 FOW. I broke the ice, so to speak, and scored first with a 12 inch Rainbow that hit a UL Rapala original minnow- I released it...Keith was across the lake from me so he was out of earshot and neither of us brought our VHF radios. I was trolling two rods- one was a #2 Mepps gold blade spinner and the other a Rapala minnow...I landed three more Rainbows on the Mepps pretty quickly- they were all carbon copies of each other...I had tried a #2 Mepps with chrome spinner but no takers...being a dark, overcast day, I thought maybe a gold blade would work better...yep, that was the cure...Keith worked his way around to me just as I was landing a nice largemouth bass...I yelled to him about the color lure I was using and he started scoring fish...great day on the water...boat is perfect for this kind of fishing, all the new accessories are a great add, everything working like I had hoped they would...so glad we were able to break the fever and get a day on the water...I ended up with five bass and eight trout all but one was released...Nice 17-18 inch Rainbow, went in the cooler...we fished for three hours...Keith had a very nice mess of fish for the table.

IMG_0338.jpgIMG_0339.jpgIMG_0340.jpgIMG_0343.jpgIMG_0347.jpgIMG_0345.jpgIMG_0351.jpg
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 02-08-2019, 11:24 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
Working...
X