Specs are still at Neavitt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Specs are still at Neavitt

Today's weather forecast was intimidating. But I decided to take a ride to Neavitt to see if the specs were still in residence. I am pleased to report that they are still around.

Most of my kayak fishing trips are local around Annapolis, so I have not had to worry much about loading a boat on roof racks. I just open the back of my Honda minivan and slide the kayak inside. But for road trips, I do use roof racks. Today was my first shot at loading the kayak onto the racks in the dark. I managed okay and left Annapolis at 7:00. I arrived at the Neavitt ramp about 8:20 and found a dark sky and lots of wind from the south. The minute I parked, the rain began. It rained hard for 5 minutes. I was beginning to question my judgement about driving all the way over there. Fortunately, the rain stopped and I unloaded the boat and gear and was underway at 8:45.

I tried casting to the shoreline in the cove next to the ramp. When I was there two weeks ago, I got bites almost immediately. Today was different -- I got no bites from casting to the shallow areas. I decided to paddle south toward the creek mouth and troll along the shoreline, staying out of the wind. Not only did the fish not bite, but I lost several jigs and nearly spooled one of my reels from snags. This was not what I had hoped for!

I returned to the cove by the ramp and began trolling in slightly deeper water (7' to 8' today instead of 3' to 4' that had been productive two weeks earlier). On the first pass, I caught a spunky speckled trout. After releasing the fish, I continued trolling around the cove in about a 75-yd diameter circle. The next 5 times I passed by that same spot, I hooked up again -- 4 specs and 1 bluefish. The next few passes after that did not produce fish, nor did casting to the area where I got bites.

I braved the strong winds and paddled across to the opposite shoreline of the creek (~ 1/2 mile). Once there, I trolled along the shore being pushed by wind and waves. Soon I had my hardest pull of the day. It turned out to be a beefy 16" rockfish.

After more drifting along the far shore, I realized that I now had a long paddle back against the waves and wind. I returned to the launch cove and made a few more circuits. Several more specs and blues were attracted to my Gulp 4" swimming mullet. I started the day using chartreuse, and when I ran out of those, I switched to smoke color. These worked equally as well.

As I pulled back to the ramp, I ran into Surfdog, who had already fished in the Severn this morning, then drove to Neavitt to check things out there. I ended the day with about a dozen specs, at least 5 fat bluefish, and 1 rockfish. I don't know how much longer the specs will be around, but they definitely were there today.

At the exact moment I started the engine to drive away, the skies opened up and it rained hard again. My entire time on the water was free from rain, but immediately before and after the trip, it rained hard -- amazing.
    Attached Files
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

At one point during the morning, I paddled to the back of a quiet cove sheltered from the wind. I saw a deer standing in the marsh grass. The first photo shows the whole shoreline. The deer is just to the left of the dark green bush. The second one is a blow-up of the deer.
    Attached Files
    John Veil
    Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Good deal- I want to catch some nice specks for the frying pan before they are gone for the season-
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

You lucked out dodging the rain and got some nice fish.
        2012 Hobie Revo 13'
        2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Sounds like somebody has a case of speck fever! Did you catch any keepers? A great day of fishing all the same!
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Specks are one of my all time favorite fish- to catch and eat- and I plan to try for them before the season ends- the cold front is moving in right now with WNW winds at 23- low is supposed to be in the mid 50's in the morning with WSW winds steady at 23 with higher gusts to 40 MPH- high temp tomorrow is supposed to get to 70 with full sun. So figure with chilling waters, the specks will start moving south to the Outer Banks-
            Last edited by ronaultmtd; 10-14-2011, 06:25 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=shadyfisher85;19921 Did you catch any keepers? [/QUOTE]

The largest spec I caught today was only about 12". I was not planning to keep fish anyway, so the size was not all that important. It is just plain fun to catch something in Maryland waters that is an infrequent visitor.
              John Veil
              Annapolis

Comment

i should have pushed grady black harder to go to neavitt but he had 12" wp fever after we got chased of the severn by t-storms GB went home but i needed to soak some bait so i headed down to neavitt, cool place, saw JA on the water. weather looking sketchy so i fished from the landing with a t/b rig with bws and threw some top waters and crank baits around no luck with them and some sneaky little bait stealer wouldnt commit to the hooks on the t/b rig. had to duck into the truck a couple times to get out of the down pours. need to launch and check the area out from the water!

nice meeting you John and thanks for the tips. we have to get together and catch some fish

Comment

Speckled trout and spanish mackerel are two really good looking fish when they are first caught- the colors and sheen are striking-

Comment

Nice work on the specks, John. Seeing them in Maryland is a treat. I haven't caught one since I left Virginia, so I've really enjoyed seeing them this year. Now, I just need to catch a keeper. I think they're in my top 5 favorite fish to eat.
                    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Great report man!! I too want to catch some specks! That area looks really nice! I will definitely have to check it out sometime!

Comment

Originally posted by mytmouse View Post
                        Great report man!! I too want to catch some specks! That area looks really nice! I will definitely have to check it out sometime!
                        Although the drive there is longer than I usually make for my kayak trips (80 minutes), there are fish literally within eyesight of the ramp. I caught most of my fish in water less than 100 yds from the ramp. There is enough diversity in the angles of the creek tributaries and coves that it is possible to fish there even under a heavy wind day.

I intentionally did not stray far from the ramp yesterday because the weather forecast called for thunderstorms during the first part of the morning and heavy winds coming after that. What I found yesterday was that the fish were tightly clustered into just a few spots. If I happened to pull a lure through those areas, I got hit nearly every time. If I threw to any other place, I failed to get bites.
                        John Veil
                        Annapolis

Comment

If you use small lures, you catch small fish- Big bait, big fish- at least that is my theory...so if my theory holds water, so to speak, if you fish shallow, skinny waters with bigger baits, you will catch the bigger fish...gonna give this theory a try today-2-3 feet of water to a max depth six feet in the boat channels going out the inlet- A steady cool 25 WSW wind with 40 mph wind gusts should reduce the recreational boat traffic to a minimum, but will make it hard to hold your position in the fishing areas-

Comment

Nice report JV.
                            Those specks are a beautiful fish.

Their on my list to catch as well as macks.

Living and boating on the upper bay doesnt give me much chance to catch either so now having a kayak will hopefully get me on some different species.
                            2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                            2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Working...
                            X