Susky Yellars 1/20/11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Susky Yellars 1/20/11

Not quite on fire yet, but I think its heating up! I fished today for about 3 1/2 hours launching from Jean Roberts memorial park. I probably caught about 25-30 fish total. It seemed like a lot of them were about 8 3/4" and also quite a few really small ones, but I did manage 7 keepers from 9 1/4"-10 1/4". I caught most of the fish in about 25 feet which is actually pretty shallow for the area. The main bait was minnows, but I also tried nightcrawlers and caught a few on them too.

Hopefully the really big ones will show up soon!
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

congrats on the catch. can't wait for the meet n greet.

did you only try live bait? did you have any plastic grubs out?
    Sun Fishin'

Comment

For a while I had a gulp alive minnow and regular minnow on and they kept biting the regular minnow, so I switched to using both regular minnows and then a piece of night crawler and minnow.
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Thanks for the first hand scouting report!
        <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Good job. Hope the big ones come soon. Are the regular minnows live or frozen? Try any jigging?

Thanks for the report.
          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Problem for this time of year is most sporting goods shops don't carry live minnows and the distributors don't deliver due to lack of customers- shops can't keep the minnows for weeks on end alive- Most start carrying them early spring for the crappie spawn-
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Nice going Ryan. I'm glad you found some keeper sized fish. I hope the big fatties move in before our M&G.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

..... Where do we get minnows this time of year ......... Clydes probably has them and the tackleshop in Northeast has them ......... anyplace closer?

Comment

I have looked in Southern Maryland- None so far carry them although Fred's Sports in Waldorf says he will start back in mid February or early March at the latest depending on his distributor's availabilty
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I get my live minnows from clydes, they carry them year round. When the Perch turn on good, you can catch them just as well on small plastic grubs or soft plastic minnows. Pretty much anything will work as long as its chartreuse...

I had a rod rigged up with a BKD ready to go, but it never made it out of the rodholder...

I'm not sure if they carry them this time of year, but Tom's Tropicals on Bel Air rd in Perry hall may be another option for buying minnows.

I will probably do it again next weekend if anyone wants to join...
                    Ryan
                    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Thnaks Ryan .......... called Tom's ....... they don't have them but they referred me to Bowleys Bait and Tackle on Eastern Ave ...... Called them and they have them .......... It's probably the closest place to the susky with them. It's also on the way.

Take 95 or 40 to the Whitemarsh exit (rt 43) and take that to Eastern Ave ... turn left and it's about a mile or 2 on the right ......... about 10 minutes out if the way ......... @ $5 1/2 pint I think .........

Comment

nice catch!

could you tell if they were male or female when you cleaned them?

Comment

two out of seven keepers were ripe females. I cook my roe with scrambled eggs yum!
                          Ryan
                          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

I got a half pint of minnows from Angler's when I went fishing for pickerel with JA Veil last December 30th. I haven't been there since, so I don't know if they still have them.

I know that Warren's Bait Box in Glen Burnie sells live minnows. I think I heard the owner, Rick saying that after he closes the tackle shop, he's going to keep his live bait shop open - I don't know if he plans only to distribute to other shops, or if he will sell them in small quantities to fishermen.
                            Sun Fishin'

Comment

thanks for report, and add'l info shadyfisher85.

ps - i can keep minnows in my garage for weeks during winter.

i use an aquarium bubbler and change water maybe once a week if i have time. i use 'brackish' water and believe the cold temps are good for their longevity.

if you're going to do this, ask the tackle store about the saltiness of their water when you buy them. i've gotten different answers on this and don't know what's optimim. i think my local shop just adds 'some',..

Comment

Working...
                              X