Weird evening at St. Mary's Lake, 3/23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird evening at St. Mary's Lake, 3/23

I hit St. Mary's Lake for a quick trip after work last night. I wanted to try out some tips Michael (Redfish12) gave me about fishing flukes as well as try to find some crappie and maybe explore some new areas. As it turned out, the action was much slower than during my previous trips.

I hit the water at around 5:15 and fished until 7:15 (I wish the park was open after dark). I went straight to where I caught all the little bass last time, and couldn't buy a strike on a fluke. I switched to my trusty Rapala and a couple other lures and still had no luck. I thought that they might not be in the sunny areas anymore since it was so warm, so I went to some areas that always hold fish that were now in the shade. I picked up one little bass on the Rapala and had another throw the hook. The action was way slower than it has been, so I figured there must be a new pattern.

I tried for crappie for about 40min with no luck. I keep forgetting to bring bobbers, which I think will help. The green slime has started growing on the bottom and on the woody debris, so it was hard keeping the jig clean. I scanned some other areas that were suggested on Tidalfish, but I didn't see any marks and had no hits.

With daylight rapidly fading and only 1.5 fish caught, I decided to explore new areas. I headed to the head of the lake, which I've never fished. I've checked it out while paddling with my wife, and I thought it was too shallow, but I've been seeing bass boats coming from that area. There are expansive shallow flats, but there's also a channel that's 5-10ft deep with a hard bottom. I finally started catching little bass, both on the flats and along the drop off. I ended up with 5 from that area, and I also caught a couple bluegill:

They seemed like better fish at the time, but they look pretty average in the pics. Both were over 7". One hit the tail hook, and the other actually tried to eat the Rapala head first.

The most exciting part of the evening was the monster yellow perch I caught on the Rapala. It jumped twice. When it first jumped, I saw it from the underside and thought it was a little peacock bass, which made no sense. When it jumped the second time, I realized it was the biggest perch I've ever caught. It was at least 12" and much fatter than any 12" perch I've caught in the past. Unfortunately, it hit the side of the yak when it jumped the second time, which gave it enough slack to throw the hook. The kids on the playground learned some new words at that moment. That's the only time I've ever regretted swapping out treble hooks for single. Oh well, it's still out there.

I caught another little bass on a Rebel Pop-R, which made up for the loss of the perch, somewhat. That end of the lake is really pretty, and I need to spend more time checking it out. I'm hoping to find the rest of the 4% of the bass that are over 15" in the pre-spawn areas around there.

Some pics from that part of the lake:

At about 6:45, the mosquitoes swarmed in. I haven't lost that much blood since the last blood drive I donated at. It's kind of unfortunate that I have to dig out the bug spray already.

I noticed that every single bass I caught last night had holes in their mouth. I wonder if that's why the bite was so slow. I tried all kinds of lures, but the Rapala was the most productive. I also caught fish on a short, fat, square-billed Bomber crankbait and on the Pop-R. I wish there was somewhere nearby with quality bass like the Mattawoman. At least it was a really pleasant evening, and there were lots of families enjoying it and having a good time.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Bill,

If your bass fishing, try a rubber worm. That always seems to be a top producer in most lakes, for bass anyway.

However, it is always nice to get out on the water.

Comment

I used to use plastic worms as a kid, and one of the guys at my local tackle shop suggested the same thing. However, saltwater fishing has eroded my patience for slow presentations. I guess I'll have to work on that...
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
        Bill,

If your bass fishing, try a rubber worm. That always seems to be a top producer in most lakes, for bass anyway.
        +1

Berkley Power Worms in dark colors always produces for me. Yes, gotta be patient. I will work them unweighted in < 5' of water and toss to targets such as a weed line or fallen timber. If no target then just to a shallow water spot. Let it settle, always watching the line, twitch 2, 3 times and if no takers crank it back and toss it to another spot. Invariably a strike will happen on its' initial descent before it hits the bottom.

Comment

Gary Yamamoto worms work well, too...I rig them weedless unweighted in shallow water or Texas Rig, sometimes a Carolina rig if they won't take either...motor oil, pumpkinseed and bubble gum seem to be my all time go to colored worms....plain old fashion grape purple works, too...use a hypodermic and inject a air bubble inside the flat tail to get that up just a bit off the bottom when Texas rigging---use the sharpest hooks you can- the kind that scares you...I usually just slow crawl my worms back to me by lifting my rod tip about six inches reeling up the slack, twitch, slowly raise the rod tip, then reel in slack, twitch...watch the line...if you see the line move in any direction, drop the rod tip to allow slack in line, when line comes tight strike HARD
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I've been planning a trip out to the lake and scouting it out on google earth. Where is this area you speak of? Is it the long arm to the west? Or were you on the dam-side?

Comment

Originally posted by MadFish View Post
              I've been planning a trip out to the lake and scouting it out on google earth. Where is this area you speak of? Is it the long arm to the west? Or were you on the dam-side?
              That' right. I was checking out the west side of the lake. I normally fish from the dam side to about the middle of the lake, but I had been seeing a lot of bass boats at that time coming from the long arm. I haven't been back there since, though. Let me know how you do if you check it out. I've only talked to a few people who managed to catch decent bass in that lake, so I'd like to know how to catch them more regularly.
              Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Bill -

Your two photos of the bluegills crack me up. The colors of the little fish match the colors in your vest , and the big red brimmed hat complete the artsy image. With your deadpan expression, you look like an artistic picture in some avant garde gallery!

It sure looks pretty there.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                  Bill -

Your two photos of the bluegills crack me up. The colors of the little fish match the colors in your vest , and the big red brimmed hat complete the artsy image. With your deadpan expression, you look like an artistic picture in some avant garde gallery!
                  LOL.......Bill the Art-EEST. What would you call your medium Bill? Scales, GULP and various fabric?
                  14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                  2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
                    That' right. I was checking out the west side of the lake. I normally fish from the dam side to about the middle of the lake, but I had been seeing a lot of bass boats at that time coming from the long arm. I haven't been back there since, though. Let me know how you do if you check it out. I've only talked to a few people who managed to catch decent bass in that lake, so I'd like to know how to catch them more regularly.
                    Had a great day out on the lake. Even caught some fish. Report coming soon with photos.

Comment

Here's my fishing report http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...y-Morning-Bass

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
                        LOL.......Bill the Art-EEST. What would you call your medium Bill? Scales, GULP and various fabric?
                        Ha! You guys crack me up. I like to think of my pieces as performance art, which capture the ephemeral beauty of the life-and-death struggles that occur in the aquatic ecosystem. My medium is carbon in all its diverse and distinct forms. "Ceci n'est pas une pipe"
                        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
                        X