What to fish for at Assateague?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to fish for at Assateague?

This upcoming weekend I’m one of the adult chaperones for a scout camping trip to assateague. Going to throw in my kayak and hopefully get a chance to get some fishing in while the scouts are working on their kayaking merit badges.

I have never fished out on the coast. I expect I’ll stick mostly to the back bay, but I have no idea what species to target or techniques to use in this area this time of year. Any general tips?

I’m just happy to be getting out—I upgraded to a hobie compass this spring but haven’t even had time to get it in the water yet! Worst case scenario it’s a shakedown trip even if I’ve got no clue how to find the fish.

I haven't fished that area either, but I'd think that trolling and jigging jigheads with paddletails would be productive. Rockfish, specs, reds, flounder? Tight lines.
    Tight lines
    Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
    Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
    Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
    Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

I was on the Virginia side a few weeks ago to surf fish (got skunked). I'm more familiar with Chincoteague, but if you're fishing the Maryland side the same rules apply. Look for grass beds and oyster bars. Troll soft plastics or mirrolures, then focus in on an area once you find fish. It's a little early in the season but you have a shot at specks, puppy drum, and flounder.

Comment

Working...
      X