Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what's white and black and red all over?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what's white and black and red all over?

my 1st maryland slot redfish!!!

barely 18", caught in about 3' water at shoreline, yesterday about 10 mi from st jc using chartreuse swim mullet gulp on 1/4 oz red jighead. the technique was cast and slow retreive letting it ride/bump along bottom with some little twitches to pop over stuff that might snag it.

i fried the tail ends of fillets and small trimmings last night after dipping in milk/house of autry/milk/panko. very good - i would like to do heads up taste test vs rockfish. but somewhat unfoturnately, i had released the 2 keepers that i had caught.

the fish is white flakey and mild. texture almost as firm as rockfish.

having left the best parts of the fillets; for dinner tonite, i made blackened redfish using paul prodhomme blackened redfish magic seasoning (from giant grocery i think). you heat cast iron skillet as hot as you can, dip fillets in melted butter, sprinkle with seasoning, push it in, then plop onto the hot skillet. pour a little more melted butter on top. smoke was outrageous and i'll probly never do it indoors again. it was borderline serious condition.

i also made a reddened butter sauce by adding more seasoning and a little tomato paste to the melted/clarified butter.

i've had blackened fish of various types at restaurants but never as good as this. not even close. the most incredibly thin and delicate crust and great taste. was it the PPrudhomme seasoning, being made at home, the fresh fish, redfish, caught myself? all of it!

i'll probly try the same recipe with rockfish out on my grill when i get a chance. otherwise, i'm hoping we get our chance at the redfish next year.

Good report. Congratulations on the keeper redfish. I cook my bluefish (fillets from a 1 to 2 lb fish -- cook the same day or the next day at the latest) in a blackened style too -- I started out using cast iron frying pan and melted butter as you describe -- now I just grill it using olive oil and blackened seasoning. You can do it outdoors on a grill or indoors on a broiler or George Foreman grill. It is very tasty -- usually bluefish are easier to find than redfish.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Very nice Southerly. Now I'm hungry.
      2012 Hobie Revo 13'
      2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

I have been chasing one over 18" now too for a bit... congrats on your catch. Puppy drum is good to eat... A friend at College had a permit to keep any size puppy drum, as he would keep them alive and was doing his senior thesis on the Hearing of red drum. Part of the experiment required the fish to die, so we would eat the meat afterwards so it just wouldn't go to waste. His report went on to be published in a number of scientific journals and he got to go to puerto rico to give a symposium about it.

Comment

Blackened redfish, the bane of red drum and firemen across the south east. Yummy.

Comment

Sounds really good
            36 Ricky Scarborough custom Carolina sportfish
            20ft C-hawk
            14ft Malibu 2, 14ft Old Towne Otter

Comment

Working...
            X