A little known launch site in Shady Side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little known launch site in Shady Side

While looking around for out of the way launch sites, I stumbled onto this area at the end of Columbia Beach Road in Shady Side. It's a state owned park that is completely undeveloped with nice sandy beaches with jettys on the Bay side, and a protected area called Flag Pond accessible by a small inlet. One Sunday afternoon, I took a rod out to one of the jettys and tried a few different things for about an hour, but nothing. Probably too shallow right there near the beach.

On the ADC street map it's called Franklin Park. I called DNR to find out what, if any plans there are to develop it, and they never got back to me. It would be a bit of a carry, maybe a hundred yards +- to a launching point on the beach, but it's doable. There's no set parking, but there is an area you could leave your car at the end of Columbia Beach Road without getting hassled by the residents.

Here is the google map with zoom/street capability to pinpoint, in case anyone is interested in exploring out of the way sites:

http://matrix.mris.com/Matrix/Public...&TableID=1&L=1
Working...
X