Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ocean City Inlet 5-10-13 Fri

OC Inlet, Fri

Was on the water 0730 hrs. A very nice day. Only some clouds in the nice blue sky. Winds maybe 5 mph, just enough to cool you. Air temp was a little warm. I fished the last hour or so on an incoming tide during the morning. I caught the outgoing in the afternoon.

Tried for togs using blue crab at the Inlet and got nothing, not even a nibble. The ocean side of the Inlet was too rough to try. I also tried the Rt 50 bridge and the bulkheads. Nothing. I talked to two shore fisherman. They said the tog bite was very slow so far this year. One guy said it was better to try for flounder.

I also jigged for flounder using bucktails, Gulp mullet and Gotcha twister tails. Boy, did I jig. I jigged at the Inlet, along the channel edges, around the Rt 50 bridge, and along the shallows above the bridge. I jigged around the pilings, in the pilings, on the side of pilings, upstream and downstream of the pilings. Here a jig, there a jig, everywhere a jig-jig. Nothing. I didn't see any boater catch fish. I did see an angler on the bridge pull up a small flattie.

I think it was suck flounder day........ahhhhhhh......but I did catch one skate the entire day.

Here's an unimpressive clip of me trying to jig for flounder......lol.....thrilling, huh?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfTRGxXmzxw
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tufnik; 05-11-2013, 10:19 AM.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

That's a funny looking skate. Looks like it just hatched.
    Carpe Pisces

Comment

Originally posted by Wavy Davy View Post
      That's a funny looking skate. Looks like it just hatched.
      Might even be a ray, but I think it's a skate. Has spiny back, which rays don't have. There's over 200 species of skates.

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
        Might even be a ray, but I think it's a skate. Has spiny back, which rays don't have. There's over 200 species of skates.
        Looks like it is a "Little Skate" Raja erinacea ......if it is it is an electric skate....cool fish. Sadly electric charge is too light to have shocked you tufnik. As Bill/Ictalrus for absolute confirmation
        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Maybe a clearnose skate? I've caught them there before.
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

could be this too..Winter skate....I don't think it is a clear nosed. wrong dots and too rounded nose

Comment

a day on the water in your kayak fishing beats a day at work, regardless of the catching-
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

nice job but i see many things wrong.

when vertical jigging for flounder its not like when you jig for rock fish. for flounder you rapidly jig. (look up flounder bucktails on youtube)

also you dont use mono, use braid. and lastly your rod looks a little wobbly, i use a fast action rod for jigging you you can get the most action out of your lure

good luck!

Comment

Man.. rough trip for you this weekend. Did you eat the skate/ray?

Comment

No, released the skate.

kayak456,
                    I've read many articles and talked to many people on how to catch flounder, including seen many anglers actually catch flounder. There are many ways to catch them, not just one way. I've caught many on several methods. The video shows just one way to jig for flounder. Your can also drag a lure, bounce a lure, twitch a lure, etc. You can use artificial or bait. There's all kinds of experts out there. There are particular preferences to braid or mono, stiff or flexible rod, med or fast action rod, single or double hooks, kahle or circle hooks, long or short leader, etc. People have their own styles and all boast their successes. I definitely would not tell people who have caught flounder that they are wrong. Have you read the flounder article written by Sue Foster of Oyster Bay Tackle? She does an excellent job of presenting the many methods used by many successful flounder anglers. Suggest you read it to learn about and expand your flounder catching skills.

Kevin,
                    Electric skate?!?! .....no wonder I felt my hair stand up a bit when I touched it.......lol.....
                    Last edited by tufnik; 05-11-2013, 11:05 PM.

Comment

very restrained response Tufnik, LOL.
                      BTW, I lookforward to another eastern shore trip with you in June or july. Maybe next time there won't be 20 knot winds.

Comment

Tufnik, where do you launch in the inlet? I have passed there a few times and the channel looks too dangerous so where in the inlet as well? Might try in two weeks.
                        Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

...lol...yeah....it's an ed-u-ma-kaye-sion-nal process, kevin. I've been reading more about flounder bites on the Eastern Shore. So, yeah, would like to try, but you'll have to find the hot spots for me....lol....

Minh,
                          I park at the Marina at the corner of Golf Rd and Sunset. No parking/launch fee. It's about seven to nine hundred yards to the Inlet from the boat launch. I will try again within a few weeks. Keep your eyes/ears open for when the flattie bite is hot. Also, you have to watch the current carefully to know when to approach the inlet and when to stay away. The Rt 50 bridge channel can also rip.
                          Last edited by tufnik; 05-11-2013, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Alrighty thanks, also when i'm up there I will look for a place to launch around the rt. 90 bridge for you, hopefully the boat traffic won't be too bad on Memorial Day weekend.
                            Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Originally posted by M_Duong60 View Post
                              Alrighty thanks, also when i'm up there I will look for a place to launch around the rt. 90 bridge for you, hopefully the boat traffic won't be too bad on Memorial Day weekend.
                              Yeah, I've never tried there before, and I'd definitely like to learn how to fish that area. Also, I do try to avoid high traffic areas on three day weekends.

Comment

Working...
                              X