7/20/13 midbay dolphin caught on topwater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7/20/13 midbay dolphin caught on topwater

well at least my fish looked like a dolphin.one of my fish looked like her was dropped on his head a a baby, or maybe his mother drank while pregnant.

anyway fished the midbay this morning and stopped and looks for spot , found 4 and ran out quickly , so we decided to topwater fish, mind you it was 9 in the morning but it was cloudy so it didnt matter.

overall we caught about 15 fish. had about 20 blowups and many hooked and lost. it was really rough but the fish didnt care, i think they just couldnt aim as well so they didnt get any hooks in their mouth.

lost of 17-18 inchers but about 5 were over 25. it doesnt matter what size when they hit topwater though!

tried out the mirrolure popa dog for the first time and i liked it alot, im definatly switching from stillwater smackits . friends around me were armed with smackits and caught none while i caught every single fish on the papa dog. i only had 1 popa dog so i gave them rattle traps & tonys and they caught alot of fish as well.

we are going out in the morning and topwater fishing first, then spot fishing when the sun comes up. get out there while you can because i had about 5 or 6 blowups in 6 casts, sometimes i could see 3 or 4 fish follow it to the boat

it sure did get my heart pumping , cant wait for the fall!

rods were 7 foot saint croix medium fast action tidemasters with 3000 stradics loaded with 15 pound power pro. from that a 2 feet section of 30 pound mono leader to a small duo lock snap to allow for quick lure change.

good luck!
    -Andrew

ResizedImage_1374338427312.jpgIMG_20130720_102106_142.jpgIMG_20130720_102112_715.jpgResizedImage_1374338441860.jpg

"Pug nosed" rockfish are seen occasionally. It is a jaw malformation, which if severe enough leads to the death of the fish when it is still very small because it can't feed properly. If not too severe, they can obviously survive.
    Looks kinda like a dog that chased a parked car. lol

You are turning into a first class fishing machine!

We saw fish breaking all over the place near Hackett's on Friday, even in the mid morning sun. We dropped a Spot underneath them (it was all we were rigged up for) and caught the biggest fish of the day under the breakers.
    Odd, because the breaking bait fish are usually small menhaden, but the rock didn't seem to care.
    But I wished we had a popper set up ready, because there is nothing like Rock busting fish on the surface.
    With treble hooked lures, try bending two of the three hooks on each set in until they touch the shank. Makes for a much easier release.

Comment

heah, i usually cut one of the 3 hooks off, so i got 2 hooks with 2 hooks. and i fish all barbless, i freaking hate removing barbed trebles from a thrashing fish

Comment

I was hoping you caught one of these http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/outdo...ysdolphin1.jpg
        2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

haha no, but my fish looked like a dolphin, but its called a pugnose rockfish

Comment

Working...
          X