Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

are those things edible?

Comment

They have lots of tiny bones and are difficult to fillet. Some people eat them -- most do not. I prefer to follow catch and release of pickerel so we have a sufficient population of tidal pickerel to catch in the winter months. There is not much else biting in sheltered tidal creeks from Dec to March.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Beautiful John, and as I said on your FB post, it takes a tough man to catch a toothy pickeral!

When I was a kid, there was good yellow perch fishing this time of year in the mid-Severn, and sunnies too. Minnows plain under a bobber worked fine under a pier or off a shoreline around inlets when the tide was running. I even caught them ice fishing too, but the y. perch have nearly disappeared along with ice sturdy enough to fish from. Maybe they'll start coming back, like the pickeral have. We can only hope. They're as good to eat as white perch, maybe better.

Comment

Working...
        X